New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

picalena

Re: New Member Here

Post by picalena » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:06 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Yea, everyone could be a little gentler with the new members, but on the other hand if someone is bothered by what anyone might say on this forum, they got a rude awaking coming in a move to Chile.
Haha, I have so many stories that are [now] hilarious that start with a Chilena screaming at me. I finally learned to just tune it out and not s**t down my leg every time. Ah, good times.

cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm

I will give credit to the OP for starting one of the more entertaining threads in months. Even got zer0nz and David Bro to come out of their shells.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

###

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm

David_Bro wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm
Living in Chile and just shooting stock photos, forget it but reading through the posts you are clear on that-----its just the reality of the image business, again, no matter where you are.
Not stock photos of Chile though. Most of stock photos are centered around objects or humans and most of stock photographers are from Eastern Europe because $800-$3,000 a month is a good income there.

By the way, the number of Chilean freelancers is relatively tiny (compared to Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Russia, and Ukraine) because the country is doing well more or less and you can find more jobs locally.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:58 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm
I will give credit to the OP for starting one of the more entertaining threads in months. Even got zer0nz and David Bro to come out of their shells.
I had the same thought. Have not seen those guys in a while. Hi guys!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Well, OP said goood byeee to allchile.net. Stated that Charles is letting forum going non moderated . Another one going kaput!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Yes Gloria this is true " If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen " but most and the best parents will give advice and watch carefully so that no accidents occur with a child actually touching the stove and burning themselves----we have all seen it, the mother aggressively scolding a child over what ever it is in public and we all cringe and 1) feel bad for the kid with a mom like that 2) remind ourselves to not be that way and 3) wonder how the kid will turn out with a mother like along with the thought if the kid will treat their children the same way and actually 4) be happy you are not related in anyway to that family----so I would encourage you to not be that person online-----what is the cost to you to be informative without the angry routine?----I get the idiots that ask for it and its fun to see you go off actually but the innocent idiots that come?-----just parse our your advice and move on and watch the disasterpiece unfold like it so commonly will------I remember from a far away post so long ago, i owe you an ice cream cone, have not forgotten-----Chill babe and let the drama unfold-----

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey Glory, glad you are chillin babe, so big kisses right back to you!!!!! Got it----Not giving advice and never will, but for your consideration, you might let up on the routine now and again because-----1)people, the idiots, hopefully listen and 2) the idiots listen------you can deliver a message over the fence to a neighbor on the street and over the phone and it will land well as people know you but then on the internet you can quickly become obsolete with messages of anger because the reader will just overlook what you say----and then its just words no one listens too no matter how good it feels to you for having said it------While the info you impart is useful and it very much is, your delivery is not-----so while you wish to make a difference its not so because of your attitude and not your words---words into the wind and no one listens, most of which who need to hear it the most-----

###

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Well, OP said goood byeee to allchile.net. Stated that Charles is letting forum going non moderated . Another one going kaput!
He is suggesting that I punish Gloria for misbehaving. I am not that brave. :frighten:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm
:lol: Mob mentality it's to be expected...."let's pile it up". A Judas impersonator not less. With "friends" like this, who needs enemies. More of "masculine drama" .....and makes you wonder what's going on here.... another gender in the works? :mrgreen:
In California and a couple of other states there's a third gender now. Parents can choose what sex is on a child's birth certificate, with three options. Science and Biology be damned.
Whatever floats your boat.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 am

Hmmmmm not really just calling out an ass by an ass already

####

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm

David_Bro wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm
Photojournalist here, shooting spot and breaking news and features for newspapers, magazines and online media on assignment and for the wire service-----lived on and off in Chile for months and years in Chile since 1984.
For a PJ specializing in Latin America, Chile would be an excellent choice in location----even living remotely in Patagonia as you can fly north or south and get out to where you want to be. Working as a photographer in Chile there would be a certain amount of business but probably not much.

Good luck!!!!
David, I received an email notification this post is still ongoing and couldn't leave your reply unacknowledged. Thank you for taking the time to offer such a detailed response. Thank you.

I have made a few more inquiries with my contacts in Chile and have quite a bit more information than I did just two weeks ago. I spoke with a commercial photographer in Santiago who provided helpful information, and nothing sounded like I was nuts for pursuing this direction. I have made it a point to always diversify my work in the event I need take jobs outside my normal scope, and that appears to be necessary given where I want to end up. I've done everything from shooting projects for Fiat-Chrysler to taking baby pictures for friends of friends. I'm okay with getting creative with my work opportunities.

That's good information about equipment security. Much of my work lately has been travel imagery shot in some sketchy parts of the world. I stopped walking around with $15,000 worth of gear a while ago. Camera tech as of late helps with good kit now available for less cash. Helps me chose when and where to use my top shelf gear.

Anyway - thank you for the detailed reply. I still don't think this particular resource (allchile) is for me, but I wanted to let you know I appreciate your input.