New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Ramana66
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 am

New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by Ramana66 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi All,

I am new member here and planning to move to Santiago soon my wife. Our kids will be staying back in UK as they are at University.

Would be grateful to the members to give me some guidance on following.

1. My work place is in south east part of Santiago (around Maipu area). What areas could be considered for renting considering the commuting (either by car or public transport)? Is Las Condes a bad choice?
2. Requirements are a single bed apartment, closer to good hospitals and near supermarkets.
3. I love running and walking, hence prefer an area where there is a decent place for morning or evening running.
4. Any idea/links to other posts on the forum for cost of living. I guess major part would be accommodation and associated costs (community fees, Utilities, Phone/internet, etc.).

Many thanks for your help.

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:06 pm

I really dont think you want to live in Las Condes and work in Maipu. Unless you like to spend a lot of time on a crowdef metro.

Driving would not be pleasant.

The good news is that there probably are some areas in Maipu which would be acceptable and it is much cheaper.

Another advantage( or disadvantage depending on your point of view), you wont be bumping in to many gringos.

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by paladin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Ramana66 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm
Hi All,

I am new member here and planning to move to Santiago soon my wife. Our kids will be staying back in UK as they are at University.

Would be grateful to the members to give me some guidance on following.

1. My work place is in south east part of Santiago (around Maipu area). What areas could be considered for renting considering the commuting (either by car or public transport)? Is Las Condes a bad choice?
2. Requirements are a single bed apartment, closer to good hospitals and near supermarkets.
3. I love running and walking, hence prefer an area where there is a decent place for morning or evening running.
4. Any idea/links to other posts on the forum for cost of living. I guess major part would be accommodation and associated costs (community fees, Utilities, Phone/internet, etc.).

Many thanks for your help.
I think you’ve got your bearings wrong by saying Maipu is in the south east, as it’s in the south west.
There shouldnt be too much of a problem ( bearing in mind the size of Santiago) if you want to live in Las Condes, as you can take the Vespucio Sur expressway, which would avoid going through Santiago centre. The metro is expanding rapidly and depending exactly where you live in Las Condes, and exactly where your workplace is, taking the metro would be less of a strain and much cheaper. All the best hospitals ( referred to as clinics in Chile) are on the east side, as the best of everything else is. Good supermarkets are everywhere, as are malls etc.
As is rhe case everywhere, what you pay for accomodation depends on many factors. If you are after a one bedroom apartment, say 50 sq mts, with garage , you should expect to pay 330000 p mth and up , unfurnished in a decent building, close to shops, metro etc, and you’ll have no problem with running. Community fees would be between 60-80000. Light and water say 15000, internet 160 mb 25000.

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by paladin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:30 am

Having just checked up on the metro map, although going by metro would be physically possible, and maybe , just maybe, less stressful than by car, it would be a long and crowded journey, so I would forget that idea. You could perhaps think of living out Maipu way and avoid completely having to cross Santiago. The best thing would be for you to look around that area yourself, as maybe it would be to your liking and maybe not, as its very different from the east side.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16474
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by admin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am

You might try not living in Santiago.

Try something south of Santiago like isla de maipo. Not sure about the total travel times, but should be something like 15 mins by car to maipu (possibly less, never timed it).

Isla de Maipo is a relatively small rural town in wine country just south, but still about a 35 min drive to downtown Santiago. You will still see guys riding horses up and down main street, like it is 1901; but, they got various stores and shopping malls close by also. Most everyone knows everyone else.

As a gringo, don't think you want to live in maipu. Use to be very poor, but over the generations is kind of turned more in to a middle class blue collar sort of area.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by scandinavian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 am

As others, I would not recommend living in Las Condes and working in Maipu. Furthermore, I would certainly not recommend living in a 1 bedroom apartment in Maipu. I doubt you would be able to find any that would be acceptable.
Consider moving a bit out as suggested by Admin - along Ruta 68 for example in Lo Aguirre, however, that will be houses, not apartments.
If you are deadset on an apartment, then consider the centre - For example around Barrio Lastarria or similar. Compared to Las Condes, you probably save approx 30 min per direction (if traveling by metro) and you will still be close to clinics.

Ramana66
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 am

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by Ramana66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Thank you very much @Paladin @dmwbmw2 @admin @scandinavian for the information and leads. I am planning to have a trip around February and will be looking these areas to have an idea. As both me (very little spanish) and my wife (don't speak spanish), I am not so keen to stay in rural side of city even if it is too close. As suggested by Admin, the areas like Lo Aguirre could be an option. A question, how the houses are considered in this area with respect to safety compared to apartments.

Regarding the accomodation (whether houses or apartments), what is more common in Santiago and around - Furnished or Unfurnished. I know it differs from one apartment to other, but what can one generally expect in a furnished accomodation. I am thinking whether it makes sense to bring the white goods (fridge, freezer, washer, microwave, beds, sofa, dining table, etc). My assignment in Chile is for 3 - 4 years after which I will return back to UK. Is is it possible and easy to buy low cost used white goods above in Santiago.

Also, another question on opening Bank account. I read lot and it seems it is bit complex and time consuming. However, if I come with an employement contract on day 1, how long it should take to get the temporary RUT and then open the bank account in Chile.

Many thanks once again for all your help.

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by dmwbmw2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Furnished houses and apts are rather rare, except in the posher areas, where they have a correspondingly very high price tag.

My experience is that unless for a very short time it is better to rent unfurnished and buy middle of the road quality new goods and sell later.
Yes, there are websites where you canbuy used. But with limited Spanish and probably limited time, probably you are better just to buy new with local freight included.

Britkid
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Talagante area, Chile
Contact:

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm

It's way more common (for a Chilean) to live in Maipu and commute up to Las Condes that the other way around. Maipu (in the south west) is a relatively average area. By living in Las Condes you are significantly increasing your cost of living vs Maipu, especially on accomodation. Also, even little things. When I stop in the street in Las Condes to buy a drink and a snack I notice it is about 20-30% more expensive than elsewhere in Chile and keep telling myself to bring stuff with me next time. Meals costs sometimes double than other places. However, the quality can be better.

However if you lived in Las Condes and commuted to Maipu you would have the great bonus of going in the opposite direction to most people. The roads at rush hour are jam-packed in one direction only, while the buses and underground/subway/metro are also crazy packged in one direction, and not so bad in the other. So the commute might be doable and you would get to smugly mwahaha at the people going in the other direction. Because your rush hour is in reverse, this may be faster. However, this is going to depend a lot on the last few kilometres at each end, so you might even want to try practice runs. I think you are looking at 20-40 minutes (?) from Maipu to Las Condes if driving on a typical day depending on exact locations. Metro I guess slightly longer. There is a direct metro line though.

I think you would want to avoid Vespucio Sur actually, because it is a lot longer in distance. The Costanera Norte route is shorter in distance, albeit with more traffic. Even at 10am or 11am you get stuck in traffic here going into Las Condes. However the Vespucio Sur route is so much longer that it's still probably not worth it even though you can drive faster. Costanera Norte route works best going up to Las Condes, rather than the reverse. However, you'd have to try it and see.

If you live in Maipu you would save a lot on commuting time as well as significant money on commuting (tool roads and petrol) as well as being greener with less miles drived. And save a lot of money. But if you live in Las Condes you are going to have a better quality of life (parks, restaurants, variety of things to buy and do etc ) and much better amenities including choice of hospitals, I expect Las Condes would also be better for running as I have seen some nice parks there which I haven't seen in Maipu or elsewhere. I think Las Condes will likely have a bit better vibe for going out running, and probably less stray dogs than Maipu which is an issue for running. So Las Condes may suit you better on points 2 and 3. However, it does depend on specific case. If you could give us a more precise location for your work place that would help.

Living in Centro is a half way house between the two - cheaper than Las Condes, but more than Maipu. Half the commute. More amenities than Maipu but not as much as Las Condes. Keep in mind that some parts of Centro are better than others with the south part of it being a crap place to live and the east (going towards Providencia) being a bit better than the west by the look of the apartments.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Talagante area, Chile
Contact:

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 pm

I posted cost of living costs in 2014, however things haven't changed drastically since then viewtopic.php?t=12242
Add a bit of inflation. Ignore my bit about renting costs and instead check more up to date prices at sites such as these:

http://www.propiedades.emol.com/
www.portalinmobiliario.com separate search for casas and departamentos
www.elrastro.cl
Planeta Propiedades
vendebien (also has rent)
Trovit http://casas.trovit.cl/
Talagante.olx.cl
Yapo.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Talagante area, Chile
Contact:

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am
You might try not living in Santiago.

Try something south of Santiago like isla de maipo. Not sure about the total travel times, but should be something like 15 mins by car to maipu (possibly less, never timed it).

Isla de Maipo is a relatively small rural town in wine country just south, but still about a 35 min drive to downtown Santiago. You will still see guys riding horses up and down main street, like it is 1901; but, they got various stores and shopping malls close by also. Most everyone knows everyone else.

As a gringo, don't think you want to live in maipu. Use to be very poor, but over the generations is kind of turned more in to a middle class blue collar sort of area.
Not that it matters to the OP who seems to want to be in the city but actually it is more like 40 minutes from Isla de Maipo to Maipu and an hour to downtown Santiago, even without rush hour traffic. It's because there's no motorway to Santiago. You either have to drive straight up to Santiago down a road with 60km/h speed limit all the way or you have to go a fair way sideways to get to a motorway. There's no motorway to Isla de Maipo and that has perhaps helped it retain its sleepy feel despite being close to Santiago as the crow flies.

It is super relaxed. People just walk/cycle into the street in front of the cars as if they have lived in the same village for 50 years and still think it's 50 years ago when there were almost no cars. I noticed people leave their bikes without locks as they go into stores. I haven't seen many horses there, go a bit deeper and to area of Valdivia de Paine and Laguna de Aculeo and it is even more laid back perhaps, with people riding horses far more common. And there people really do know each other.

I got the feeling from your post that you were in Isla de Maipo like 10 in 15 years ago more often than recently? Your post seems to describe what it must have been like then.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Ramana66
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 am

Re: New Member - Moving to Santiago in April 2018

Post by Ramana66 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Britkid wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm
It's way more common (for a Chilean) to live in Maipu and commute up to Las Condes that the other way around. Maipu (in the south west) is a relatively average area. By living in Las Condes you are significantly increasing your cost of living vs Maipu, especially on accomodation. Also, even little things. When I stop in the street in Las Condes to buy a drink and a snack I notice it is about 20-30% more expensive than elsewhere in Chile and keep telling myself to bring stuff with me next time. Meals costs sometimes double than other places. However, the quality can be better.

However if you lived in Las Condes and commuted to Maipu you would have the great bonus of going in the opposite direction to most people. The roads at rush hour are jam-packed in one direction only, while the buses and underground/subway/metro are also crazy packged in one direction, and not so bad in the other. So the commute might be doable and you would get to smugly mwahaha at the people going in the other direction. Because your rush hour is in reverse, this may be faster. However, this is going to depend a lot on the last few kilometres at each end, so you might even want to try practice runs. I think you are looking at 20-40 minutes (?) from Maipu to Las Condes if driving on a typical day depending on exact locations. Metro I guess slightly longer. There is a direct metro line though.

I think you would want to avoid Vespucio Sur actually, because it is a lot longer in distance. The Costanera Norte route is shorter in distance, albeit with more traffic. Even at 10am or 11am you get stuck in traffic here going into Las Condes. However the Vespucio Sur route is so much longer that it's still probably not worth it even though you can drive faster. Costanera Norte route works best going up to Las Condes, rather than the reverse. However, you'd have to try it and see.

If you live in Maipu you would save a lot on commuting time as well as significant money on commuting (tool roads and petrol) as well as being greener with less miles drived. And save a lot of money. But if you live in Las Condes you are going to have a better quality of life (parks, restaurants, variety of things to buy and do etc ) and much better amenities including choice of hospitals, I expect Las Condes would also be better for running as I have seen some nice parks there which I haven't seen in Maipu or elsewhere. I think Las Condes will likely have a bit better vibe for going out running, and probably less stray dogs than Maipu which is an issue for running. So Las Condes may suit you better on points 2 and 3. However, it does depend on specific case. If you could give us a more precise location for your work place that would help.

Living in Centro is a half way house between the two - cheaper than Las Condes, but more than Maipu. Half the commute. More amenities than Maipu but not as much as Las Condes. Keep in mind that some parts of Centro are better than others with the south part of it being a crap place to live and the east (going towards Providencia) being a bit better than the west by the look of the apartments.
Thanks a lot @britkid for your detailed post :D I am definitely looking to save some money (still working out on my actual salary package), towards Maipu though seems a better area from a cost perspective, but I have passed through that area (been twice to Santiago last year) and probably I may not like to live in the area. Though Los Condes appears to be nice, it seems to be bit expensive and posh and I preferably like to live in a middle class area. Based on what you said, Centro seems to be a better option and may be I should try finding a place more towards Providencia.

I will definitely want to be close to Hospitals (bit of health issues past year) and as I am trying to fit and healthy (lost over 2 stones in past six months ) I don't want to stop my 8 mile/day running (it has become an addiction to me even in cold winters of Yorkshire). Hence, I may be willing to pay some premium to get these. Also, my wife doesn't drive and my role involves some travel so I want her to be closer to shops to buy groceries, etc.

I am also thinking the Nunoa and Providencia areas as they seems to be decent but not as expensive as Los Condes. What are your thoughts on this?

Once again many thanks for your details post and guidance. Much appreciated :D

Post Reply