Translation or meaning help (m)

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

AmericanDatingChilean

Translation or meaning help (m)

Post by AmericanDatingChilean » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

The person I am dating is from Chile. They say “m” a lot and I always figured it was like “k” in English. But they use it in deifferent ways. What is the meaning or reason why they say “m”? They say they can’t explain it. Can anyone help?

frozen-north

Re: Translation or meaning help (m)

Post by frozen-north » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I seem to remember that it can be used as a 'Wait, I am thinking", or something similar.

Psychologists Say 'Um' and 'Uh' Have Meaning

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97983

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:41 am

they are tolerating your ignorance to their culture :) (single m), mmmmmmmm (multiple m), it's just a pause while they consider your ignorance to their culture :)

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:10 am

zer0nz wrote:
they are tolerating your ignorance to their culture :) (single m), mmmmmmmm (multiple m), it's just a pause while they consider your ignorance to their culture :)
If accompanied by head scratching, and sometimes followed by a sigh.

Good to see you around!

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Not completely sure in your case as you would have to see it in person but the use of m or mmmmmm is simply filler speech as the speaker is deciding how to respond-----Chilean to Chilean and say one is asking for directions, its the brain verbally occupying itself as they determine where you are talking about and harmless----probably with you its the brain verbally deciding how best to answer and give you the best answer you want to hear and whats best for you-----I would call it a consideration.