home inspection

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

Re: home inspection

Post by nikotromus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 am

Sorry brother. I'm going there on Friday. I'll ask the realtor I'm with and anyone else I talk to to see if anyone has heard of this guy.

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am

No sweat R. I just have to track down the local bloke who told me about him and get more details. Should have done it at the time but I was in a hurry.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 am

Julito wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am
Uhuh....after 500+ views it seems not. More legwork required on my part.
That is because someone kidnapped him, and has him locked in their closet. They probably only let them out when they have a leak to fix.

:lol: :mrgreen:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:55 am

admin wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 am
Julito wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am
Uhuh....after 500+ views it seems not. More legwork required on my part.
That is because someone kidnapped him, and has him locked in their closet. They probably only let them out when they have a leak to fix.

:lol: :mrgreen:
Has to take a leak and fix a leak..... :lol: :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:58 am

Which is totally understandable. I have a gringo electrician with an engineering degree that use to build satellites, locked in one of my closets. I think I still have room for a plumber in that closet.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 am

Ha... which could well be the situation here, I'll holster the bolt cutters and get him out. If he's still around here I'll find him.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:51 pm

So i just thought about this thread today, as i have a story.

Wife and i have talked for a while about a tourist junk store. Little side project. Proper tourist trap stuff. Shirts, mugs, etc.

So we stumbled across a deal on a rental of a prime location, at the right price and terms. We decided to go for it.

Before i even stepped inside, i knew the place had humidity problems with the concreate. I step in for the first time, can smell the mold and humidity. Touch the concreact, and it is cold and clammy vs. Sort of cold and dry.

Just too be sure i take out my trusty humidity probe (priceless piece of inspection equipment in chile).

Thing hits the max at around 30% humidity in the floor, the walls, and the maestro that is suppose to paint the place ( woops, that was my breathlizer meter).

Well, like i said no big deal. I knew that before i stepped through the door, from the otherside of the street.

Solution is too seal the concreate. Check my trusty sodimac cataloge and find several sealents that will work.

So i dont have time to make a run to peurto montt sodimac today. I do what i do once a year, even though i know better: i go try the local construction stores.

Of course 5 stores later, and a lot of giggles from the guys working there ('gringo loco, no one seals their concreat around here'), i am off to sodimac (which is why i know not to waist my time, but still hope the local stores will one day sell more than undersized hammers and rusty nails).

But, the moral of the story is, just assume all concreate is unsealled until proven otherwise; and even then probably would not hurt to slap another layer on it.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:36 am

On a bus right now on the way back from Pucon. We went down there to take a second look at a place and thankfully another forum member and his wife joined us to help us look the place over. They definitely pointed some big issues out that I missed or brushed off as issues that were no big deal. Oh, and I asked the owner how the plumbing handled toilet paper and he replied that he never flushed paper at the house. noooot good.

We've pretty much struck out in the house search in the areas we've been looking in the price range of a half million USD or less. I'm sure those quality houses are out there, somewhere. Maybe we just needed more time.

If I had to do it over again I would have soley focused on locating land and finding a trusted builder. Which, is not an easy task even in the USA where most things work right.

I have total respect for any westerner who has made it in this land in an honest way. This is not an easy place find success.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:20 am

I've found that local plumber, he's not English, he's a Californian who qualified there in a 5 year apprenticeship. We're meeting up Tuesday next.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Sweet! Good deal

passport

Post by passport » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Can you post the plumber's name and contact info?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:59 pm

http://connect-homes.com/?gclid=CjwKCAi ... M0QAvD_BwE
nikotromus, buy the land and import pre-fab home, perhaps more liking to your perfection?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.