home inspection

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Gloria

Re: home inspection

Post by Gloria » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:00 am

If you can't flush the POOP....you need to REGROUP. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 am

Lol!!!

That would be a heck of a business slogan for anyone wanting to start a home inspection business in Chile. Imagine that magnetic sign on a truck going down route 5!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 am

nwdiver wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:06 am
nikotromus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm
I would much rather pay that bill than buy a house that can't flush tp.
Just figure new plumbing into your offer........
yea, if I am going to open up something like a wall for any reason where there is plumbing, just replace the plumbing. Kind of like if you replace one belt on your car, replace them all. Once you open it up, it is only going to cost a few more pesos in materials and time to replace the entire thing.

That is especially true of opening any concrete floors with plumbing, and another reason I hate concrete slabs (there is always a surprise inside). Chilean maestros don't seem to get that. A while back we hired like three different maestros to fix a leak in an apartment floor we owned in vina. Two of them never even opened the floor, but claimed they did (I could see the concrete and tile was still the original where they said they replaced an entire pipe). One of them opened the floor and put a patch in the wrong place, on the wrong pipe, nowhere near the leak. Finally hired a guy with a thermal imaging camera to isolate the general area, then my brother in law and me opened the entire section and replaced the whole pipe in an afternoon. Including the price of a new jack hammer, the whole operation was still cheaper than any of the maestros fishing around in the concrete to fix a leak they could not find.

I got a house right now I am thinking about buying. I did not even bother looking at the septic system, because I am almost 99.9999% sure the septic system is badly installed, and probably way under sized. I just budgeted in a new septic system in to my calculations of the total costs of ownership, because the time and money to excavate the entire septic system to see if it is correctly installed, and fix whatever needs fixing, is not much cheaper than just replacing it and knowing it was done correctly. So, what I am going to do is turn the current septic system in to gray water system, that handles sinks and showers; leaving for the most part those pipes untouched, unless there is obviously something wrong with them (seen a few hard right angles in the drains, that should be more like 45 degrees max). Then I am going to add a new second system for toilets, as I am also planning to renovate the bathrooms anyway. It will essentially double the capacity, and more importantly separate out antibacterial soaps and such (chemicals that do not play nicely with septic systems) from the black water system that needs the microbes to function correctly. Probably cost me about a 500,000 to a million pesos. Which, considering the system in question, never having to fix a broken or clogged septic system is priceless.

Speaking of toilets, one construction error I see regularly in Chile, from the most expensive apartments and hotels in Santiago to the crappiest little cabins in the south, is the spacing of the toilet to the wall. If the toilet drain is not spaced correctly (I believe it is three inches at least, but would have to look that up), it allows sewer gas to pass through the water and up in to the bathroom rather than venting through the roof. Basically the maestros in Chile will put the toilet as close to the wall as they can. The problem may only be detectable during certain times of year, when the temperatures / pressure changes. You can google it for more info, but it is common one; and almost no maestro is even going to understand the physics involved in that.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am

For a home in the South, here are a few things that aren't really fixable that would be problematic for me, especially if there are more than one:

The heating system - don't fool yourself into thinking this is an easy fix. Neither wood nor gas/kerosene are cheap, pellet systems have their issues also. Have a redundant system so that when the volcano blows up and the power goes out and they block the roads in and out, you can still be warm.

Closets on outside walls. WTF? In the winter, these will sweat. Things inside the closets will get moldy.

Really important to consider the ingress and egress conditions after three months of rain or a temporal or snow and ice. Not a concern for people who only go during summer, in winter can be a real problem. I personally wouldn't buy a house down a long dirt road, because the teeth rattling in the winter on the washboard roads is really damned annoying when you have to do it every day just to get in and out. One kilometer seems like an eternity under those conditions. Remember, Chile is death by a thousand cuts!

While we are talking about ingress and egress, are you or anyone around you landlocked and dependent on someone else giving you permission to get in and out? Or, is the usual ingress and egress subject to problems so that every now and then you or they will have to borrow each other's route to get in and out?

Admin has already stressed the water/water rights situation. That's a biggie. I know someone in the South who has a business model of buying up water rights. It is real.

Mapuche land. Are you anywhere near it? Better make sure it isn't Mapuche land. Funny story of a guy who bought a bunch of land, built a nice big house on it, came back after being gone for a while, the Mapuches had taken his house apart, built several cabanas with it, and were living there. Guy was mad and told them to leave. Turns out, they still owned the land and he had no recourse. Everything down the drain. I would personally be wary of living near any industries the Mapuche don't like, either, so that the fires they set don't end up burning my property also. Or they don't accidentally kill me when they were trying to kill someone else. So, that would include tree farms, churches, big industry, things like that.

cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 pm

If only I could go back in time and have a conversation with myself 6 months ago...

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 pm
Ohh, almost forgot. See the property in the rainy season / winter.
Rent in the neighborhood for a winter before you buy........some really can't handle the weather........they think they can and bail after a couple of years leaving thier costly improvements to someone else at no profit.........you can explain until you are blue in the face why the house is better and worth more, but in the end YOU get what they pay.......
It's all about the wine.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 pm
If only I could go back in time and have a conversation with myself 6 months ago...
You are wiser now than 6 months ago and when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:40 am

Hey i love my washboard dirt road, that has a duck crossing a couple times a year. It is how i justified the need for 33" inch mud tires, 3" lift and off-road racing suspension to my wife on my toyota.

Suprisingly useful in town. Opens up all kinds of parking options.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:35 am

Gloria wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm
nikotromus wrote:
You are wiser now than 6 months ago and when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
This is Chile, when life gives you lemons, make pisco sours.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:35 am
Gloria wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm
nikotromus wrote:
This is Chile, when life gives you lemons, make pisco sours.
:thumright:

Julito

Post by Julito » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Ok, plumbing. A few days ago I met a bloke in Villarrica and he told me there is a British (qualified) plumber who's lived in or near Villarrica for about 4 years and is now working in his trade.

Does anybody know of him?

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

Uhuh....after 500+ views it seems not. More legwork required on my part.