REPLACING CARNET 2017

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: REPLACING CARNET 2017

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:39 pm

The San Antonio RC has a small sink attatched to a post in the middle of the waiting area. Strangest thing I've ever seen...and used...but now I'm glad they have one after reading this thread.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 am

gracias Rhodolite.

paladin

Post by paladin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 pm

to hif2888. I need to renew my carne soon, and was surprised to read that you had found the process to be without pain. Wasnt the PDI office swarming with new immigrants, as I worry about turning up and seeing swarms of them waiting outside?

paladin

Post by paladin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:02 pm

to hif2888. I need to renew my carne soon, and was surprised to read that you had found the process to be without pain. Wasnt the PDI office swarming with new immigrants, as I worry about turning up and seeing swarms of them waiting outside?

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 am

Hi paladin, we were the only ones at the PDI, took 5 minutes there. The whole process from application to carnet in hand was 4 weeks. Five minutes at the PDI, 20 minutes at the Registro Civile because of old worn down fingers and 3 weeks of waiting for the carnet. Got an email when it was ready and picked it up at the Registro Civile. Might be different in a metropolis, we are in a small non-touristy town.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Just replaced our son's expired passport (essentially the same process as the carnet) and it was a lot quicker this time around, with their new Web appointment system. Probably 10-15 minutes total for each visit. Last time it would have taken hours if we hadn't had a small baby with us (and even then I think it was at least an hour). Now if only the direccion de transito could get in on the act...

PS. obviously he's not legally a foreigner though.

paladin

Post by paladin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:35 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 am
Hi paladin, we were the only ones at the PDI, took 5 minutes there. The whole process from application to carnet in hand was 4 weeks. Five minutes at the PDI, 20 minutes at the Registro Civile because of old worn down fingers and 3 weeks of waiting for the carnet. Got an email when it was ready and picked it up at the Registro Civile. Might be different in a metropolis, we are in a small non-touristy town.
That’s a relief, now I can sleep peacefully until the time comes.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:15 pm

I went outside Santiago to another region to get the Certificado de Vigencia. I am too old to queue for hours and, reportedly, the preferential queue disappeared with the law on human rights. I don't know if that is true but nothing sounds strange anymore. The woman at the desk was reluctant as she said I had a Santiago address but gave it to me in the end "for reasons of health". Others had reported doing this before me without any problem so it may have had to do with the individual I saw in PDI. She said I wasn't registered in their database although I have renewed my carnet about 6 times over my time in Chile. No idea what that was about. I have trouble understanding why this needs to be done in any particular place as it has nothing to do with where you live but whether you have been out of Chile for over a year.

The certificate lasts for a month and online appointments at the Registro Civil on Huerfanos in Santiago are usually booked up over a month in advance. I was lucky to find one 29 days out. Regional offices are so much easier.

In short, no one can tell you what your experience will be as there don't seem to be any set rules - or there are but not everyone knows them.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Do I understand correctly from the discussion above that when a carnet is stolen (in this case our Chilean children's cards), one has to apply for a new card, like when it expires normally, with a new photo and expiry date etc.? They don't just re-issue a card with the same expiry date & photo? I'm trying to determine whether 1) I really have to cart both our small, riotous children down to the RC (argh) and 2) whether we should book a normal Web appointment for renewal or whether it's some other tramite (bloqueo/reemplazo). I already have a temporary block on them FWIW.

Likewise for my wife's driving licence. I'd have assumed they'd issue a replacement card with the original expiry date, but a comment from someone at work makes it sound like one has to apply for a new one and do the medical test etc. prematurely? First-hand info. would be appreciated. (I'm not asking about her cedula because it's from the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores and not the Registro Civil.)

Thanks!

James.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:54 pm

I can only answer about the lost carnet. Lots of reports that you get issued a replacement in your municipality's Registro Civil office. It should have the same expiry date as the lost one.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:40 am

I have to admit----could not read through the Pails of Misery that started this post and skimmed through the rest-----Imagine Chile as a large pie cut into infinitesimal pieces and then a circular corridor around it all-----there is a closed door at each slice of pie-----its simply, Chilean or other, a matter of walking the corridor and knocking on every door until one is opened----this could mean miles of walking the corridor and knocking on every door and maybe even knocking on the same door several times before one is opened-----there is no rule to it-----it could simply be lunch hour, inventory or the chief is out for the day and the cats will play----in the end its just TIC----This is Chile

###

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks, Donnybrook.

I ended up making a couple of Web appointments for "renovacion Chileno" and taking the kids in this morning. There were also "bloqueo" and "reimpresion" options for the appointment, but their FAQs say 1) that if you do a "bloqueo permanente" at the RC, you then have to request a new cedula anyway and 2) that if you request a new cedula, the previous one gets blocked automatically. This approach seemed to work out fine -- they took some new pictures of the kids and issued a piece of paper saying that their old cedulas had been temporarily blocked (again, presumably until the new ones are delivered). It only costs about $3800 pesos each, doesn't take long (with the Web appointment) and now the children will have some photos that don't look like new-born babies. I'm not sure whether the expiry date will be extended (I think so?), but perhaps the distinction between renewal and reissue is a bit academic here. We presented their passports as identification and I'm not sure what document(s) they would have asked for if we didn't have those, but they were able to pull up the previous photos easily (in my son's case, his recent passport photo), so maybe the RUN number would be sufficient for someone who is recognizable. I think the RC has to take the prize for the most-improved government office in the past couple of years, having gone from completely unbearable to really rather efficient (at least for some purposes). Now, if only certain others would follow suit...