Hello from Frank

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

nikotromus

Re: Hello from Frank

Post by nikotromus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am

That is a very interesting perspective...

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 am

OK - I don't actually think we are disagreeing, perhaps just different interpretations.
I fully agree that a foreigner will not walk off the plane and land a +3MM salary and that for the vast majority of chileans it is just as impossible to land a job with a income in that area.
Also agree that +3MM is in the low end if you have family and wish to live a nice life in the eastern parts of Santiago.
My point was just that it is not only the CxO that makes that kind of salary
According to stats, 1.2% earns more than 3MM:
http://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/econ ... enos.shtml
total workforce is 8.8 million, so roughly 100,000 workers.
I would think that it does not include doctors, self employed lawyers, dentists, etc, but haven't read the small print.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:27 am

scandinavian wrote:
My point was just that it is not only the CxO that makes that kind of salary
Well, admin did not say that only CEOs made those salaries.
With a few exceptions (e.g. TV personalities, CEO of large companies, etc), if you want to make more than say about 3 million pesos a month, about $5,000 U.S., you have to work for yourself. The number of jobs that pay more than that, start to drop dramatically.
According to stats, 1.2% earns more than 3MM:
http://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/econ ... enos.shtml
total workforce is 8.8 million, so roughly 100,000 workers.
Actually those 8.8 million are not quite real. They include everybody over the age of 15.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 pm

in my understanding a few exceptions would be a few hundred, not 100,000. Anyway, no reason to keep arguing. I clearly read the post differently

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Hey Frank!

Remember Frank, the OP?

Hope Chile works out for you the way you expect for at least as long as you expect.

I came here in 97.....for a year.

And still here.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm

How is this not helping Frank? I would give my right kidney to have had just one of these conversations before I came here. Everyone we talked to told us about this magical place filled with gumdrops and unicorns. Of course, if I only came to Las Condes for a week at a time business trips and ate at the fine restaurants and went on the gringo tourist rides and saw all the shinny skyscrapers, I probably would have reported the same thing.

Frank - the best advice I can give is what someone told us about a month ago - "learn to lower your expectations, then you won't be disappointed as often."

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

An astronomer...coming to Chile.

With a job lined up.
Its a career move.

He’s not going to become an independent self employed astronomer.

And probably money is not the primary focus.

Thats why i thought that in this specific case it was diverging badly off topic.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:07 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm
Everyone we talked to told us about this magical place filled with gumdrops and unicorns.
Well, you clearly missed this forum and asking Gloria! :D :D :D

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Haha - indeed. I think that was a topic of conversation at Gloria's dinner table. ;-)

fybian

Post by fybian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and discussions! It is good to hear those opinions. We have two kids. My wife and I did some research on some research on the cost of living in eastern Santiago. Correct me if our number is not quite right or we forgot something.
3b2b apartment $1500
Community fee $200
utility $200
internet & phone $100
food $700
school $800x2
gas $120
toll $120
health Insurance $500

That is more or less $5000 USD.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 am

Mas o menos.

If you run the heat in the winter utilities will be much higher. Most people wear their coats indoors, including us. The utilities will probably be low in the summer because AC's are rare here. Central heat and air does not exist, at least from an American perspective. You might do better on food if you primarily shop at La Vega. It is a great experience and our favorite thing about Santiago. You could pay that much for rent, but you could do better if depending on how nice the place is. Whatever you do, make sure your apartment orientation does't face north or west or you'll roast in the summer.

If you were working for a Chilean company and lucky enough to be making that big time 3 million a month peso salary, you would only be going into debt about 200,000 pesos a month. Assuming a zero budget for entertainment and emergencies of course. ;-)

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Looks reasonable. School might be a lot more if you want Nido de Aguila or less if your kids are still in preschool.
Food could be higher if you go out regularly. Expect 80-100 USD for the 4.
Isn't health insurance provided by employer?