big storm coming?

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

big storm coming?

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 pm

A friend just warned me to stock up on food, water, and beer. According to wunderground, it should start here Wednesday night, and continue through Friday night or Saturday morning.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

dmwbmw2

Re: big storm coming?

Post by dmwbmw2 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:26 pm

And where is here?

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 pm

https://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/85488.html I suppose.

Almost 3 inches of rain sounds like quite a bit.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon May 08, 2017 11:52 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:And where is here?
Coquimbo
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 pm

Another central coast storm! Bring it on bebe!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 pm

FrankPintor wrote:https://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/85488.html I suppose.

Almost 3 inches of rain sounds like quite a bit.
I remember getting about 6 inches in 1 day back in Michigan, but 3 is a lot here.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 am

The forecast for the Conce areas predicts 70 mm over a 5 day span, starting Thursday morning. Stocking up on essentials sounds like a good idea (as always).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:29 am

all you dessert people up north worry too much.

just kidding.

it won't be the 71 mm that get's you, but that little extra the day after when the ground is fully saturated.

Especially for all those people in Chile that like to build houses up against unretained cuts in the hillsides, and then are surprised when the hill ends-up in their living room.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Now the forecast says almost 5 inches. I think that's more than our annual average. If this were Michigan, I'd expect the forecast to be completely wrong. I'm not sure what to expect here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Yea, the storm front got mentioned on BBC weather, and they are typically pretty shallow with their weather reports for south america.

I am sure I have told this story before. A couple years ago we had super big storm. Land slides, flooding, etc. I was driving home, came to a dip in the dirt road near my house that was flooded. I started questioning if my SUV could make it across. As I was contemplating just how deep the water was, a couple of ducks crossed the road in front of me, swimming.

When the ducks can float down the road, then you have too much rain. Think 5 inches would make the ducks float.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed May 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Just returned from Lider and now a run to the botilleria and I'm set for the next days, even got my to do list ready to go.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 pm

It's been a nice sunny day so far. No ducks. I picked up some extra water, and got food yesterday, just in case. I can see some clouds a little farther north, toward La Serena. And I see a lot more on the satellite map, but all the clouds show as the same color, so it's hard to tell how bad it is. It might be the radar map that wunderground says isn't available, that shows the intensity with different colors.