taxes for importing a laptop

General topics related to Living in Chile
zer0nz

Re: taxes for importing a laptop

Post by zer0nz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:51 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
zer0nz wrote:1. most of the time if you buy from amazon, all the taxes are prepaid so there is no crap on the chilean end.

2. if you buy locally there are no longer problems with the language if you get windows 10, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it all to switch, but its not impossible (http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to- ... indows-10/), once in english you just say you have a spanish keyboard... i'm still using mine i got in chile with my spanish keyboard, i prefer it as it makes typing spanish easy!
I considered windows 10, because of the language thing. But then I read about the forced updates (that you might be able to work around), and all the latest privacy invasion features. And I decided to stick with win7 for as long as possible. And put more effort into moving my personal stuff to linux. I need windows for work. Otherwise I'd just switch everything now.
way of the future, all O/S will move towards constant updates in order to meet consumer demand for bleeding edge technology!, i love windows 10, its really good compared to 8.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:52 pm

jehturner wrote:When quickly searching for recent info. on reliability, just about the only source of credible statistics I've come across is the one cited at http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... crown.html, where Lenovo Thinkpads are reportedly just a bit better than all the others except Apple, while the cheaper Lenovos are average. I don't know how well that survey was really constructed but at least it's based on a large number of cases.

I have personally used 3 Thinkpads, lasting maybe 3-6+ years, and if I were buying one for myself that's what I would get, but when I used their repair service in Chile, albeit maybe 10 years ago, it was pretty awful, returning the machine after a month or so with new problems, which also seems to be the experience of our IT department. Our workplace prefers Apple & Dell, the latter of which has on-site service here in theory, though in practice I think it still takes them a long time to get anything mended and I prefer the Lenovo mouse & keyboard a lot.

I think the top reason to import a machine is really the keyboard, as the Chilean ones seem almost unusable, especially for programming and command-line instructions.
Chilean lenovo support is a joke, they carry no spares for the high end ones, i had my t520 come back with a motherboard missing a video card and more unstable than when i sent it in, after 6 months of fighting with lenovo USA, Argentina and Chile, they sent me a brand new t530. have been using it ever since, i think its 4 years old now, goes well!

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Sounds about right... so they are best IMO, but a bear to service here. You can also get decent reconditioned Lenovos quite cheaply and probably save money in the long run, even if some of them don't last long.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 pm

If you have business in Colombia, buy the laptop there, the prices in Unilago in Bogotá are the best I've seen in LatAm so far (for mobile phones as well). Unfortunately Viva Colombia don't have cheap flights to Chile, for me, the price of the laptop + ticket to Bogotá work out quite a bit cheaper than buying here in Ecuador.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:13 pm

jehturner wrote:When quickly searching for recent info. on reliability, just about the only source of credible statistics I've come across is the one cited at http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... crown.html, where Lenovo Thinkpads are reportedly just a bit better than all the others except Apple, while the cheaper Lenovos are average. I don't know how well that survey was really constructed but at least it's based on a large number of cases.

I have personally used 3 Thinkpads, lasting maybe 3-6+ years, and if I were buying one for myself that's what I would get, but when I used their repair service in Chile, albeit maybe 10 years ago, it was pretty awful, returning the machine after a month or so with new problems, which also seems to be the experience of our IT department. Our workplace prefers Apple & Dell, the latter of which has on-site service here in theory, though in practice I think it still takes them a long time to get anything mended and I prefer the Lenovo mouse & keyboard a lot.

I think the top reason to import a machine is really the keyboard, as the Chilean ones seem almost unusable, especially for programming and command-line instructions.
Thanks, that helps. I'll probably end up going with a Lenovo G70-80 then. It looks like a good price. And if it's reliable enough, it would be an improvement over what I have in just about every way (faster processor, more memory, larger screen). And I think I'll replace the drive with an SSD, and use the regular drive for backups, so it should be really fast. Then it would pay for itself, since I could get more done, and bill more hours. And if it's defective, and I can't fix it myself, there's a computer repair guy about a 5 minute walk from here. I might have the same luck (good or bad) as I would with Lenovo's repair people. And it would save shipping costs. Or I could just end up with a bunch of spare parts:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:17 pm

jehturner wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:And put more effort into moving my personal stuff to linux.
So I'd say Lenovo probably make the best machines for Linux IMO, probably followed by Dell (perhaps Apple too for that matter, if you like touchpads, though I have no first-hand experience with that). But beware, my wife has had Linux driver problems with the cursor jumping on a couple of cheap Lenovos, which was a real pain and not simple to troubleshoot, so I would stick to the Thinkpads for Linux.

James.
Do you know anything about Lenovo G70-80's? That's what I'm looking at, because it looks like a good price for what it has.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

papageno

Post by papageno » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:26 pm

How about for streaming audio and video? Or better to use a tablet for those?

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:34 pm

zer0nz wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
zer0nz wrote:1. most of the time if you buy from amazon, all the taxes are prepaid so there is no crap on the chilean end.

2. if you buy locally there are no longer problems with the language if you get windows 10, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it all to switch, but its not impossible (http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to- ... indows-10/), once in english you just say you have a spanish keyboard... i'm still using mine i got in chile with my spanish keyboard, i prefer it as it makes typing spanish easy!
I considered windows 10, because of the language thing. But then I read about the forced updates (that you might be able to work around), and all the latest privacy invasion features. And I decided to stick with win7 for as long as possible. And put more effort into moving my personal stuff to linux. I need windows for work. Otherwise I'd just switch everything now.
way of the future, all O/S will move towards constant updates in order to meet consumer demand for bleeding edge technology!, i love windows 10, its really good compared to 8.
I looked at windows 10, and it does look like it has a lot of nice stuff. But not so nice that I want to give M$ more access to all of my personal stuff. And the forced updates are a real problem for me. Just a couple weeks ago, someone I work with had big problems that were probably caused by a win10 automatic update that affected SQL server. I don't want to spend my time debugging something that starts working differently all by itself, without telling me. Especially if I have an urgent deadline.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:41 pm

papageno wrote:How about for streaming audio and video? Or better to use a tablet for those?
My old Acer Aspire works good for Netflix. But I use a bigger separate monitor, since the laptop is just a 14".

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:04 am

FrankPintor wrote:If you have business in Colombia, buy the laptop there, the prices in Unilago in Bogotá are the best I've seen in LatAm so far (for mobile phones as well). Unfortunately Viva Colombia don't have cheap flights to Chile, for me, the price of the laptop + ticket to Bogotá work out quite a bit cheaper than buying here in Ecuador.
I don't have any business in Colombia. I never get any farther than La Serena:)

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:19 am

ok :D I just thought I'd put it out there. I really only buy MacBooks these days, so my calculation of prices and tickets was for high end devices. Generally they just work, and if for some reason I actually want headaches, I can install a virtual machine like VMware and have Windows run there.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:37 am

Gloria wrote:
Space Cat wrote:

I had so many DHL deliveries here actually. Most of them are from Amazon but a couple was from Shipito (DHL too) from other online stores.
I forgot to ask, is there actually a DHL office in Valdivia for pick up or is home delivered or what other courier service are you using ? As far as I know, DHL delivers to Temuco and Pto Montt in the south. :?:
They deliver right to the door and they also have your phone number from Amazon (by the way sometimes customs call you too to confirm something but I don't understand the details in Spanish hehe).
Gloria wrote:but we do buy a lot from Ebay which arrives to our POB. You on the other hand shouldn't have any problems receiving your items from Amazon since you live in the US and with a free call you can solve any situation however in southern Chile is a different story.
Actually they're selling the same things on eBay that you can get on AliExpress but sometimes it's more expensive on eBay. AliExpress sellers usually send it by ChinaPost with tracking and write not more than $25 on any package. So it arrives safely by Correos de Chile and skip the customs fee (but the average time to get a thing from China is 1.5-2 months).