Cayenne?

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
Al Nariz

Cayenne?

Post by Al Nariz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 am

Is cayenne pepper available in Chile?

zer0nz

Re: Cayenne?

Post by zer0nz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:29 am

yes

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Peppers, hot or sweet, no matter but...Why is that in Lat Am countries people do not like consume the hot nor mild spices? being in a few So Am paises " Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile etc. Not even a pepper shakers on the tables?

The other day there in Santiago de Chile's Airport on my return flight from the beloved republic, had a quick "pollo asado" late lunch and seen the salt shaker but no "black pepper shaker"? So looked around to other tables but No can find the "pimiento negro" !

Summoned the waitresses whom is tending my table and asked, Senyorita, donde esta la pimienta negra?
She looked perplexed and no answer ? I thought she not understanding my _castellano fino- so I asked again
but spoke very slowly...She said, Senyor, lo he entendido bien pero, nosotros aca en Chile no usamos eso..

Then she went on talkin' that the entire chile do not like the "black pepper" and that salt and mayyo will suffice
enough to season ones food! Why is hell they do not like Black Peppers? Anyone in the know in here?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:Peppers, hot or sweet, no matter but...Why is that in Lat Am countries people do not like consume the hot nor mild spices? being in a few So Am paises " Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile etc. Not even a pepper shakers on the tables?

The other day there in Santiago de Chile's Airport on my return flight from the beloved republic, had a quick "pollo asado" late lunch and seen the salt shaker but no "black pepper shaker"? So looked around to other tables but No can find the "pimiento negro" !

Summoned the waitresses whom is tending my table and asked, Senyorita, donde esta la pimienta negra?
She looked perplexed and no answer ? I thought she not understanding my _castellano fino- so I asked again
but spoke very slowly...She said, Senyor, lo he entendido bien pero, nosotros aca en Chile no usamos eso..

Then she went on talkin' that the entire chile do not like the "black pepper" and that salt and mayyo will suffice
enough to season ones food! Why is hell they do not like Black Peppers? Anyone in the know in here?
Most decent to above restaurants will have black pepper if you ask. Also, more widespread than in 2001 when I arrived. I buy the Líder 100g packaged one (from Ecuador as I am leery of any far away other continent imported stuff).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:28 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:Peppers, hot or sweet, no matter but...Why is that in Lat Am countries people do not like consume the hot nor mild spices? being in a few So Am paises " Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile etc. Not even a pepper shakers on the tables?

Most decent to above restaurants will have black pepper if you ask. Also, more widespread than in 2001 when I arrived. I buy the Líder 100g packaged one (from Ecuador as I am leery of any far away other continent imported stuff).
So you have to ask for it, the darn black pepper are to be ensconced in the restaurants and one have to ask for it ?
Not on the tables already ?...Why not ? but anyways good to know that the upper scale eatery places have them!
(from Ecuador as I am leery of any far away other continent imported stuff).
Hmmm, the mecca of all the spices in this wide world is India me thinking? Why are you so leery of paises more farther than Ecuador ? Fukushima Noocleeear radiation will not reach Indian seas anyways..

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Even the little pub around the corner from our house brings a pepper grinder out for some dishes, and you can ask if you want it for other things.

I have seen cayenne in Jumbo. I think the brand is Mc Cormick.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm

gringalais wrote:Even the little pub around the corner from our house brings a pepper grinder out for some dishes, and you can ask if you want it for other things.

I have seen cayenne in Jumbo. I think the brand is Mc Cormick.

A Pub you said ? But the, of course, they are owned by Brits I presume and they love everything brought from India once the Union jack ruled over that land!

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Nope - Chilean-owned.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Pepper is present in the kitchen more often than on the table. It is easily available in peppercorn or ground form in every supermarket.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:01 pm

gringalais wrote:Nope - Chilean-owned.
Oh then it must be a Taberna or is it a Pub, no matter which one,the differences are- Nada.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:09 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
gringalais wrote:Nope - Chilean-owned.
Oh then it must be a Taberna or is it a Pub, no matter which one,the differences are- Nada.
Pub is used often in chile... Restrobar also!

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Someone is just really into arguing about semantics today, I think.