Leaving Chile

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Post Reply
User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Leaving Chile

Post by zer0nz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Just out of interest,

Anyone have a guide to leaving chile?

1. Keeping Visas Alive
2. Closing Bank Account/Credit cards (even with outstanding cuotas?)
3. Selling cars.. i.e fastest way to offload them?
4. Getting your unemployment insurance payout?
5. Making sure everything is cleaned up to ensure your dicom status remains intact if you were to return?
6. Leaving with more than 10k cash in your pocket on the plane?

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:46 pm

All i can say is be careful.

I left once. For two years and cancelled my bank account and two celphones. Went in and signed all kinds of papers taking a couple of hours each time.

Six months later i found out Movistar had managed to reactivate my auto credit card payment and was still charging me. Took another 4 months to get it cancelled again. Never got my money back.

The santander account i found out was still open after two years and they claimed i owed them monthly fees. Showing them the papers got them to backtrack and so i thought all was well. Found out another two years later the account was still open............. And again piling up monthly fees.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8062
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 pm

JaJa, I sense a business opportunity here.

Chile Delocalization ("delocalisation" for those other speakers) Expert!
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by zer0nz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:55 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:All i can say is be careful.

I left once. For two years and cancelled my bank account and two celphones. Went in and signed all kinds of papers taking a couple of hours each time.

Six months later i found out Movistar had managed to reactivate my auto credit card payment and was still charging me. Took another 4 months to get it cancelled again. Never got my money back.

The santander account i found out was still open after two years and they claimed i owed them monthly fees. Showing them the papers got them to backtrack and so i thought all was well. Found out another two years later the account was still open............. And again piling up monthly fees.
ahh this is hte type of good info we need

so i would say cancelling the auto payments 3 months out might help avoid this problem!

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by zer0nz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:JaJa, I sense a business opportunity here.

Chile Delocalization ("delocalisation" for those other speakers) Expert!
yep, i have seen some chilean lawyers try to offer services to claim back the unemployment insurance... its straight forward i think.. who knows? haha

but i think leaving is harder than arriving!

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3282
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:39 pm

zer0nz wrote:so i would say cancelling the auto payments 3 months out might help avoid this problem!
Yes. Pay a few months of bills at a Servipag. I wouldn't even pay them online. The electricity one can be tricky because Servipag doesn't take Chilectra payments, but I discovered a nifty machine in the Unimarc stores where you punch in your client number for each bill and it pops out a receipt which you take to any cashier in the shop and pay there. No queues either.

Not sure about closing the bank account effectively but I would think a notarised letter which has to be signed for on arrival should cover it. It took about a month to close our joint account and open one for me, with many mistakes on their part; instead of charging the new account they were charging me linea preferencial on the supposedly closed one, so I would give them ample warning and a closing date.

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by zer0nz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Interesting, so cancel auto payments 3 months out, and bank account 1 month out.... :)

i pay my chilelectra one online on their website with web pay... I WANT MY POINTS on the credit card!

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3282
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:42 am

zer0nz wrote:Interesting, so cancel auto payments 3 months out, and bank account 1 month out.... :)

i pay my chilelectra one online on their website with web pay... I WANT MY POINTS on the credit card!
Don't close the bank account a month out, but tell them then that on xx date you will close the account. Just leave time to go in and sign any papers. I assume there will be papers to sign! :D My ejecutivo likes to phone about things. I follow each phone call with an email confirming what we discussed. I then print it out and file it. It's all a game of my file is fatter than your file and who has their rear end better covered. So email your ejecutivo/a and ask what the steps are for closing your account and how much time do they need.

What are the points good for? See if you can use them up. I lost the travel related points when they changed the account number.

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by zer0nz » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 am

Donnybrook wrote:
zer0nz wrote:Interesting, so cancel auto payments 3 months out, and bank account 1 month out.... :)

i pay my chilelectra one online on their website with web pay... I WANT MY POINTS on the credit card!
Don't close the bank account a month out, but tell them then that on xx date you will close the account. Just leave time to go in and sign any papers. I assume there will be papers to sign! :D My ejecutivo likes to phone about things. I follow each phone call with an email confirming what we discussed. I then print it out and file it. It's all a game of my file is fatter than your file and who has their rear end better covered. So email your ejecutivo/a and ask what the steps are for closing your account and how much time do they need.

What are the points good for? See if you can use them up. I lost the travel related points when they changed the account number.
2 cards, one i use for WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mundo de vino vouchers!

other card, it earns pesos that can be redeemed in any amount against any travel related purchase in the last 2 months.. airline tickets. hotels etc... there is always something on my credit card i can use them for!

User avatar
GringaDchicureo
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:44 am
Location: Chicureo
Contact:

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by GringaDchicureo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 am

and if you have kids in school here insist the transcripts state the grades as percentages NOT letters or numbers 1-7.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21052
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by admin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:20 am

The question is are you leaving for ever, leaving for a few years, or just keeping your options open?

All very different ways of leaving Chile, or anywhere else for that matter. I can not even count the number of times I have left storage facilities full of stuff around the World, with a "I'll be back for that someday". I never made it back. After a while I learned to just give it all away. Sometimes trying to sell or move crap is more hassle than it is worth.

If you are a Permanent resident, you can keep it alive by filing for an extension once a year at the local Chilean consulate or by visiting Chile 1 day a year. You can only get the extension up to 4 times in a 5 year period. The assumption is that you have to return to Chile to renew your PR status at 5 years.

If you have been PR for 5 years, I would definitely recommend applying for duel citizenship if you got the time (takes about 2 years for the process). At least it would solve the residency issue, and you get to take a second passport with you.

That said, I have seen lots of people leave, loose their PR status, and then apply again. Still, would not bank on that being the case, or the rules changing in the future to make it harder.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by zer0nz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 am

admin wrote:The question is are you leaving for ever, leaving for a few years, or just keeping your options open?

All very different ways of leaving Chile, or anywhere else for that matter. I can not even count the number of times I have left storage facilities full of stuff around the World, with a "I'll be back for that someday". I never made it back. After a while I learned to just give it all away. Sometimes trying to sell or move crap is more hassle than it is worth.

If you are a Permanent resident, you can keep it alive by filing for an extension once a year at the local Chilean consulate or by visiting Chile 1 day a year. You can only get the extension up to 4 times in a 5 year period. The assumption is that you have to return to Chile to renew your PR status at 5 years.

If you have been PR for 5 years, I would definitely recommend applying for duel citizenship if you got the time (takes about 2 years for the process). At least it would solve the residency issue, and you get to take a second passport with you.

That said, I have seen lots of people leave, loose their PR status, and then apply again. Still, would not bank on that being the case, or the rules changing in the future to make it harder.
heres a tricky question

if one was to leave just before they got to the 5 year mark, could they apply (or have a lawyer apply on their behalf) for citizenship while outside of the country? and that person continue to renew the visa up to 4 times in the consulate, then return once citizenship was granted? (i see there is a lot of proof of income and jobs etc on the application) im going to presume the answer is No, but wondering if it would work!

Post Reply