Royal Llama Kickstarter in Arica

General topics related to Living in Chile
griffin

Royal Llama Kickstarter in Arica

Post by griffin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:34 pm

I found a Kickstarter project of local interest; high quality skeins of undyed llama wool for knitting etc. originating in Arica, with free shipping to the US or Chile. If you go to the Kickstarter website (Kickstarter.com) and search projects for Royal Llama you will find the project page. The project will be up for about two more weeks.

Apparently the company doing this has gotten support from the ProChile startup incubator project, for those of you following such things. This is the first Chilean project of any kind that I have seen on Kickstarter, where I have been spending some time checking out neat projects for about a year. I have no affiliation with the project, just thought it might interest a few of you. I will probably back it myself though--I do like to crochet.

HybridAmbassador

Re: Royal Llama Kickstarter in Arica

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:25 pm

griffin wrote:I found a Kickstarter project of local interest; high quality skeins of undyed llama wool for knitting etc. originating in Arica, with free shipping to the US or Chile. If you go to the Kickstarter website (Kickstarter.com) and search projects for Royal Llama you will find the project page. The project will be up for about two more weeks.

Apparently the company doing this has gotten support from the ProChile startup incubator project, for those of you following such things. This is the first Chilean project of any kind that I have seen on Kickstarter, where I have been spending some time checking out neat projects for about a year. I have no affiliation with the project, just thought it might interest a few of you. I will probably back it myself though--I do like to crochet.
NO, I do not approve killing the Llamas of the Andes! How about any human being engaged in killing the Llamas get skinned instead..Do you think this is neat project in your view? Shame on you dude!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

atacama78

Post by atacama78 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Llamas aren't killed to harvest wool. They are shorn like sheep. I did eat llama once in Peru. Not bad. Tasted like chicken. ;-)

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:01 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
griffin wrote:I found a Kickstarter project of local interest; high quality skeins of undyed llama wool for knitting etc. originating in Arica, with free shipping to the US or Chile. If you go to the Kickstarter website (Kickstarter.com) and search projects for Royal Llama you will find the project page. The project will be up for about two more weeks.

NO, I do not approve killing the Llamas of the Andes! How about any human being engaged in killing the Llamas get skinned instead..Do you think this is neat project in your view? Shame on you dude!
hahahahaha llamas are shorn! not skinned :)

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:05 pm

A "skein of wool"...
wool.jpg
wool.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 887 times
There was no spelling mistake!

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:14 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:NO, I do not approve killing the Llamas of the Andes! How about any human being engaged in killing the Llamas get skinned instead.
Sounds like cultural bias to me.
Are you willing to cease eating all beef in deference to Hindus, or cease eating or using any animal product in deference to Jains?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

rositakhan

Post by rositakhan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:05 am

Great info - thanks for this.

I just started a weaving course with some of my buddies, and we are in the process of sourcing our sk(e)ins, hehhehee.

It's pretty easy to get good quality, nationally-sourced yarns in Santiago, but doesn't hurt to help out the small guys.