630 am I jump from my home window to chase a thief

General topics related to Living in Chile
hugeh2o

630 am I jump from my home window to chase a thief

Post by hugeh2o » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:46 am

I own a hostel outside of Pucon that has been hit by petty theft several times. The below encounter happened the night before last.

630 am ish I hear steps outside of my window (hostel has a gravel mote). I jump, grab a light and run to the window. Shining the light i see a thief is pushing away my motorcycle in the dark. He stops in his tracks. I open the window and jump to the ground. Persuit. Sprint. (clothing- pj pants, tshirt and flashlight).
The thief runs straight across my yard losing ground on me. He runs into the fence at full throttle, falls and bounces up. Turns. Runs down the fence out the gate and turns back up road toward Pucon. He cuts down my neighbors driveway. Still in pursuit. It looks like he may have darted into a garage. I shine the light. White shirt and body are faced into a corner away from me as plan as day. Search the ground for a weapon I find only small sticks and pick a semi rotten bigger one. I come at him with the stick with the intent to hit him. He comes out of the corner and toward me with a plea on his face. His face is covered in blood. It works and I stop in my tracks. "Please. I am drunk..." he pleas.
I pause and tell myself, "You have to hit him. He'll come back if you don't hit him." I go at him again but the rotten stick is useless and crumbles on his shoulder.
Now, his turn. He finds a stick. It too is weak. A strong light in his eyes is my defense. I don't notice my heart but my breathing is heavy.
He comes at me raring back his stick. Light in his eyes I brace. He too can not hit me. He begins walking away... We're both tired. I search the ground. he turns and rares at me as if to scare a dog from following him home. I search the ground and keep an eye on him leaving. As he walks several times he rares at me with his stick to try and get me to not follow.
No time. I follow weaponless. He goes up the road and I turn off my light. It's getting light out anyway. I begin travelling parallel to the highway and in my neighbors yard so he can not tell where I am.
He goes through a fence 3 yards up from my hostel. My feet hurt with every step. I circle the lot searching. Shining my light ever so often through the fence. Nothing. No one.
There's a light on and I want to discover where the thief lives for the police. It looks like he may have went there. I cross the barbed fence. My feet hurt again. "Damn it! Why didn't you grab the mace!" I follow the shadows to peer into the shack with the light. It's only a porch light. I walk around another house only 60' from where I crossed the fence and there lies the thief on the ground. His white shirt is easy to see. He may have seen me. I back up and look for a weapon. I hear the fence. I get a piece of metal but it's too long and awkward. No time. I return around the corner of the house and he is gone.
I scan the road and think he's travelled up the other side of the road into another lot. He used this mode of cover but I found him in the lot.
No use. My feet hurt too much in effect my will to chase is weak. I begin walking to my house. My feet hurt with every step. I walk in the grass and the cold hurts. I cross the gravels to the pavement and the hard asphalt hurts.
Pass the motorcycle and take the key (I'd been working on a solenoid the night prior and left the key in it which i never do).
Climb into my window. Put on a black shirt. Grab shoes. Clean feet. My feet my feet are in pain. Get the phone and the bear pepper spray. Begin to dry heave. Dial the police. No answer. Dry heave. "You have to do this. This is a chance for the police to catch this fucker..." Lock the window. Leave by front door and lock the door.
I walk up the side yards as daylight presents itself more by the minute. Cut through the hole in the fence to the yard where I found him lying. This is a lot of maybe 5 houses where my study abroad students stayed in December. This is where I believe the 17 to 20 year old drunken bloody faced thief rests in his coffin during the days.
Study the landscape. Do I sit in a dark corner like a hunter and await his return to mace him. I wasn't capable of hitting him when I had the chance but I would shower that bastard with mace. No use. He's gone.
I begin walking back down the side yards. My feet even in the shoes hurt. A man in grey runs past and up the road in the direction of my house. "What the Fuck? Is this another one?" I begin jogging in and out of the shadows following rapidly with my light, cell phone and bear pepper spray. I'm observing the man but intuition gives a feeling that he is not a thief. I lose him and dart out to the road to try and gain site. He is now behind me and we see each other.
The man in grey approaches me pleading, "a thief a thief. my car!!" He comes close and I back away. (Is this a trick? Is this a thief tricking me?) The man is almost crying, "a thief took my car..." I ask him if he called the police and he says yes and hands me his cell. I try to check his cell phone to confirm truth but it's blocked. The man does not look like a thief. Skeptical I keep my distance and bear spray ready.
I explain and he explains. I call the police on my phone and explain. He explains too. At this moment a police car by chance to stop at the Trancura bridge. I hangup with the police and goto the police car. The man in grey and I take turns barraging the police with our accounts. It takes them a long time to figure out that the man in grey and I are separate. the incidents were separate but linked.
The police take the man in grey to seek his car. They send me to my house. My feet. Lay down with blanket. Can't sleep. Coffee.

Since this report the following facts have presented themselves:
[*]Police and I identified thief. He lives in lot about 200 meters from my hostel.
[*]The man in grey's (Milton) car was totalled nearby. Milton is a kind high school teacher.
[*]We believe police will make an arrest and I signed ID confirmation papers. But I am told the system does little to thieves here.
[*]By chance when driving we saw the thief departing road with girlfriend (same people we interviewed if they knew where an 18-20 year old with cut on face... lived). We followed them and they fled almost hitting a van. When they almost hit van my friend got out and interviewed thief. We took his sunglasses off to reveal face cut on nose bridge.
[*]My friend gets in thief's car (they are denying and making alibies) and we go back to their house where my large Chilean friends intimidate.

Note- this is not the first time this has happened to my hostel. And the chances of getting this close to a night time petty thief are so small. Who wakes? Who jumps out their window and sprints at a thief? Point is that I am fully aware of guns, tasers, sprays... It's too unlikely short of trapping and hunting thiefs to actually get close enough to stun one.

Seeking all levels of advice. Legal. Nonlegal. Chilean way. Rat way. Preventative measures. Discouraging measures...
More points:
A. We know where this one lives and are confident he is the one that has been hitting the hostel.
B. Hostel grounds are cabins, domes, camping and hosteria very spread out over 3 acres.
C. Maybe I can hire a private investigator. security guy. intimidator. hunter.something. Don't know. What are the options? Costs? Hell the hostel barely breaks even as is.
D. At this moment he is likely to be arrested. What might happen to him? Do I just sit back? Be proactive?

Thank you for any advice.
David

gloriosopicante

Re: 630 am I jump from my home window to chase a thief

Post by gloriosopicante » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 am

Get a dog. A big one. A couple of them.

You could've been injured by the low life scum, what would happen if he approaches another family member of yours with his acquaintances? Either way, congrats, you're some tough manly man.

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am

Glad your ok sans sore feet.
I have 2 big Rottweilers and had my first break in this past Friday.

I was in my bed watching tv and decided to go outside for a cigarette , thank god ! I had just sat down when I noticed movement at the gate in the reflexion of one of the front house windows. In a matter of 2 seconds 3 guys entered my yard :shock: the dogs were in the back house sleeping and since it happened so fast my response was to run at them waving my fists and screaming.

I think I shocked the crap out of them because they turned and booted it up the street. Thank god it happened the way it did because if they had come in 2 mins earlier they would have made it into the house where I was alone in my bed. The good news is I have now had the flaw in the gate fixed and know now that 1:30 on a sunny afternoon is not all safe.

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

yikes, scary stuff

Pucon sure has changed

big dogs tend to scare Chilean thieves a lot, as most thieves are not pros but rely on ease of entry and lack of obstacles.

you kind of wish there were amazonian poison frog darts available on ebay to teach them a lesson
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

Sigma62Delta

Post by Sigma62Delta » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm

ratbert wrote:
hugeh2o wrote: Rat way.

The Rat way is this: since there is no judicial solution, there is obviously a vacuum, and since Nature abhors a vacuum, the natural and Rat way is to make your own. The process goes something like this: You catch the thief in flagrante delicto and use a suitably stout mechanical device to alter his demonstrably worthless mortal condition, then obtain an adequate length of sufficiently capable synthetic rope, and suspend the lifeless remains from a local bridge or other appropriate public structure in a most conspicuous manner. Take special care to attach a brightly coloured placard with large and legible lettering, using a bold sans serif font, which is to be carefully affixed to the thief, for the purpose of briefly describing the fate that awaits those who make their drunken lives by stealing from others. Once word of this solution reaches the considerable mass of the resident unwashed, it likely will have the effect of deterring certain of the legion of the similarly inclined from comparable apropiación indebida for about a fortnight. Then you catch and process the next miscreant, and repeat the steps above, until the local populace has been cleansed of such vultures and thieves, a campaign which should offer amelioration opportunities for several dozen years.

//rat
The rat way sounds like a lot of fun...
“It takes advantage of every passing craze and delusion of the mob to dispose of those who oppose it, and it maintains a complex and highly effective machine for launching such crazes and delusions when the supply of them lags. Mencken, Notes on Democracy

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 pm

There are no easy solutions if your place is spread out. You obviously don't want to make your hostel look like a prison camp with guards and dogs roaming around. Dissuasion is the main way to discourage your typical opportunistic thief, which seems to include most of the under-25s here.
Plenty of unobtrusive barbed wire round the perimeter. And a minimum of ingress points, illuminated and with cameras or at least with those cheap halogens with the IR sensors. If done properly, that will eliminate 99% of your problems. For the more serious type of assault, which is actually quite rare,and is usually carried by a gang acting on inside information, there is nothing to do but hand over the cash if you don't want to get badly beaten up, or worse.

The trouble with rats is when you corner them.... a lot of them carry knives. You got lucky as you were not prepared for any kind of serious confrontation. Think about it.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Wow, intrepid thiefs,those Chileans thugs...Can one be armed by gettin' buyin' a Gun in Chilito~Land for self-defense.?
Can one own a Gun or Rifle in Chile.? I would like to have possesion of a fire-arm in those conditions..I mean shoot the breaking and entering thiefs in order to self-defend myself aginst possible thiefs murdering me whilst in robbery.!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Hugeh, fraggle is right: he might have had a knife. Anyway, you can follow a thief if you catch him on your property and give him a good thrashing OR you can call the police. You can't claim self defence if he is no longer on your property, so don't try to do both. You can detain him and call the police either inside or outside your property.

I don't really know what you can do except a) don't leave the keys in your ignition and b) get big dogs or a watchman, though the dogs will be more loyal and cost less in the long run. Motion lights are good but only for nervous thieves and after dark. On a large property you will never totally fortify the perimeter, so concentrate on fortifying your buildings.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:Wow, intrepid thiefs,those Chileans thugs...Can one be armed by gettin' buyin' a Gun in Chilito~Land for self-defense.?
Can one own a Gun or Rifle in Chile.? I would like to have possesion of a fire-arm in those conditions..I mean shoot the breaking and entering thiefs in order to self-defend myself aginst possible thiefs murdering me whilst in robbery.!
Now now, guns? What next?
I just read this and started looking at ASP batons, which my local paco told me is OK to have on me, for defense against dogs :mrgreen: .
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

MikieO wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:Wow, intrepid thiefs,those Chileans thugs...Can one be armed by gettin' buyin' a Gun in Chilito~Land for self-defense.?
Now now, guns? What next?
I just read this and started looking at ASP batons, which my local paco told me is OK to have on me, for defense against dogs :mrgreen: .
you can only shoot him if he is inside your home cause that is the only way you are truly scared for your life and vulnerable... so the chilean urban legends say...

if he is in the yard, or street you cant shoot him

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 pm

MikieO wrote:ASP batons
If you find a good low cost source PM me as I will soon be on a shopping trip to the Empire.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
MikieO wrote:ASP batons
If you find a good low cost source PM me as I will soon be on a shopping trip to the Empire.
eeuunikkeiexpat-san, if your shopping Empire trip is back to Los Angeles,CA...Don't think you need the ASP batons,I hear L.A. is pretty safe now a days..! When are you coming back home.?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.