Cousin has gone missing in Chilie

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Brandonb

Cousin has gone missing in Chilie

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello, i was redirected here by a kind poster on /r/chile over on reddit.com. Ill put my post here, but if this is the incorrect board, please advise me which one to post in, thank you.

My cousin (James O'Connell) is currently touring Chile by himself, hiking and such. He was regularly checking in every few days, but has gone silent for 2 weeks, and any attempt to find him at places we had thought he would be, have not been successful. He was last known to be in Puerto Montt, heading to Villa O'Higgins, down south of Coyhaique in Patagonia. We are currently working through all available channels, and they have been helpful, however if anyone here has any information on James, it would be most helpful. Here is an attached notification with more information, and a picture of James http://imgur.com/OZtPqyx. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

zer0nz

Re: Cousin has gone missing in Chilie

Post by zer0nz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 pm

reposted to a number of expat groups....

good luck!

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

zer0nz wrote:reposted to a number of expat groups....

good luck!
Thank you so much, the more awareness we get out there the better.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Patagonia, summer time, 2 weeks? Are you sure he is missing, and not just having bad luck with communication? There are massive parts of the Patagonia, with really spotty communication. For example, if he is hanging out at someone's farm in a rural area, two weeks with no cell phone or email is pretty par for the course. We had clients and friends in the Patagonia that did not even hear about the big earthquake in 2010 until weeks afterwords.

Are you sure he is even in Chile? Very common for people to transit around through Argentina to get to the Patagonia (no direct roads from Puerto Montt).

When I was a pack packer, I use to tell my father worry when you hear from me, not when you don't hear from me. If you hear from me, it means I ran in to a problem.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Tell you what. Do you have a passport number for him? a photo copy of the information page of his passport would be ideal.

Send me an email through the site at the bottom of my signature and I will see if our contacts at the PDI can find out if he left the country or not. No promises, but will give it a shot.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 pm

admin wrote:Patagonia, summer time, 2 weeks? Are you sure he is missing, and not just having bad luck with communication? There are massive parts of the Patagonia, with really spotty communication. For example, if he is hanging out at someone's farm in a rural area, two weeks with no cell phone or email is pretty par for the course. We had clients and friends in the Patagonia that did not even hear about the big earthquake in 2010 until weeks afterwords.

Are you sure he is even in Chile? Very common for people to transit around through Argentina to get to the Patagonia (no direct roads from Puerto Montt).

When I was a pack packer, I use to tell my father worry when you hear from me, not when you don't hear from me. If you hear from me, it means I ran in to a problem.
That is our hope, however some things are out of place enough for us to be concerned. He made reservations and never made it to them, and also carrys a gps device that can send either "I'm ok" updates, and also has an emergancy button, but this device hasnt sent anything in two weeks. Here is some of the updates we've been getting from richard.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning:

I shall forward an email that I have sent to key people in the region. The extension of their contacts is perhaps broader and more effective than the police will be. The people to whom I have sent and forwarded the alert message and request for information include private parks' personnel and environmental activists. If this doesn't get results in 24 - 48 hours, I shall begin to shake my own head in dismay.

My feeling is still that James has met some people and/ discovered one or another magical place where he just wants to sit and "belong". He will have lots of stories to tell us, and I hope that he forgives me for intruding.

Stay well, guys. I shall try to keep awake to watch this one.

Rich Heart from Punta Chilen

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear Richard,

Thank you hardly seems enough. If in 48 hours if James is not located either Scott or I with another family member will travel to Chile.

With Hope, Lisa

-------------------------------------------

"Hold on there", take it easy for a while. There are lots and lots of travelers in the area at this time of year. There are hundreds of "special places" where James might be "in retreat" and isolated from civilization for a while, hopefully with someone special. A rush trip here would be expensive and perhaps even more frustrating for you guys. Let me work on the networks for a while. It's raining, thank God, and maybe people will be more "indoors oriented" today, and will pay attention to their Email.

I'll be in touch. Get some sleep.
----------------------------------------------------------------

RD

It's a point well taken. I think, at the moment, we just feel so helpless. But, we do feel in good hands with you and will heed your advice. I have the very same hope as you; I hope James is with someone special and just lost track of the world. That way I would get to just hug him, cry and say please don't do that again.

L.
---------------------------------------------

Good morning.

Tuesday is dawning and the weather has calmed down. There was very strong wind here yesterday at the time of the change of tide, and the power was out on the whole of the island, apparently. We got electrical power again when I had gone to bed, and I came back to check the Email but too much demand on the servers made it too slow. Now I have reviewed the news and shall get back to the search for James.

Two women replied to my request for help: Carola is going to broadcast the bulletin throughout her contacts in the mountains (Pumalin Park and elsewhere). Amalia has said that James did not show up a the Tantauco Park where he had made a reservation (by Email from here at our home). She had waited for him at the bus stop, and when he did not show up, supposed that he was not going to. She has send the photos to contacts and family at Chaitén across the inland sea, and the jump-off point for the Austral Road to the south.

Now I have sent the photos to a friend here on the island who is a guide, and does the route across to the west coast, asking that he take the photos up to the home of the locals who live at the trail head.

We shall contact Carabineros after breakfast, and send the photos, and I shall ask a friend in Coyhaique to put a news bulletin on the the radios the cover Patagonia.

Hold tight. Don't panic. Don't rush off to buy airplane tickets.

James may have come down with the flu or something and holed up somewhere.

I shall try to get back to you around noon.

Very best of our positive thinking ...

Richard
-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Richard,

I am not going to deny how terrified I am and this news only makes me feel more anxious. It is so unlike James to not show up for something he has planned. He is very considerate of others and if he can't make something he usually cancels with them. My mind keeps going back to why didn't he contact us from Hornopiren. I am wondering if he ever got on the ferry in that town and if we should also check there and check the hospital of that town, even the youth hostels. Today is day 13. I/We am extremely grateful to you for all that you are doing. You seem to have far reaches and amazing connections in the community and a heart (you and your wife) made of gold. For today we will hold off and stay close in touch. I am not sure how I will concentrate, but today I do work from 6am to 2pm. Scott will have his cell phone next to him at all times. And I will be checking my phone and emails between every client.

With Deep Gratitude, Lisa

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here I am again, Lisa

Berna has been on the telephone to Villa O'Higgins, down south of Coyhaique in Patagonia. That was James' destination, as we understand it. The person in charge of tourist services at the Municipality and the local police will be looking into the matter over the next few hours.

I have sent a request for broadcasting enquiries or requests for information to the area radio stations, with copies of the bulletin that I am attaching for you.

I have also requested that the coordinator of the WWOOF program in Chile contact, if possible, all current volunteers in the Patagonia region.

We shall stay on top of this throughout the day.

A big hug,
RD

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 pm

admin wrote:Tell you what. Do you have a passport number for him? a photo copy of the information page of his passport would be ideal.

Send me an email through the site at the bottom of my signature and I will see if our contacts at the PDI can find out if he left the country or not. No promises, but will give it a shot.
I sincerely appreciate the offer, however i don't have access to that information, Also my aunt has already contacted the us embassy there and i think there on top of watching his passport. I really appreciate all the help here, we just want James home safe and sound.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 pm

If it is a SPOT device he is using their coverage in the south of Chile gets spotty, they also use Lithium AA batteries that may have died and he can't replace them in the back of beyond.
It's all about the wine.

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

nwdiver wrote:If it is a SPOT device he is using their coverage in the south of Chile gets spotty.
Yeah, i think it is a spot device, we are aware its a little spotty, but were more concerned about how he isn't following his itinerary. Hes been following it for a few months now, so its out of character.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Just to set your mind at rest, there haven't been any bus accidents or ferry accidents down south in the last months or anything else which might involve a traveler. No big natural disasters either.

Chile is an orderly country and the police are very good at locating people. The south is heaving with young people at this time of year and he is bound to have crossed paths with many others who will remember him.

There are so many places in Patagonia with sketchy to no communications, all temptingly beautiful. You are understandably worried but everyone is looking for him now.

Thorntree is a good place to put it if you haven't already. Mainly backpackers.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/f ... ywordid=-1

When he gets in touch, don't forget to come back and let everyone know.

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Donnybrook wrote:Just to set your mind at rest, there haven't been any bus accidents or ferry accidents down south in the last months or anything else which might involve a traveler. No big natural disasters either.

Chile is an orderly country and the police are very good at locating people. The south is heaving with young people at this time of year and he is bound to have crossed paths with many others who will remember him.

There are so many places in Patagonia with sketchy to no communications, all temptingly beautiful. You are understandably worried but everyone is looking for him now.

Thorntree is a good place to put it if you haven't already. Mainly backpackers.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/f ... ywordid=-1

When he gets in touch, don't forget to come back and let everyone know.

Thanks for the forum suggestion, defently going to see if anyone there has made contact with james. Also good to know about the accidents! Thanks for all the reassurance, I will absolutely update when we receive more information.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:07 pm

I am not anybody..and I am not there right now, .but there must be boots o the ground in that area, beginning from Puerto Montt South. Please post a photo of your cousing and hs itinerary. Also, Nicolas LaPenna is a guide from Chaiten, who knows a whole network of folks from north to south, I think he has Chaiturs, so if anyone has his website and email, he would be an excellent source for getting this info out.