Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Post by admin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:08 am

I got an email today from someone that was confused about the need to leave the country after filing for temporary residency, but before immigration approves your application or acknowledges they are reviewing it. We get this question a lot, so I thought I would settle it once and for all.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY OR RENEW YOUR TOURIST VISA AFTER FILING FOR TEMPORARY VISA APPLICATION!!

When you submit your application, you will be given a receipt of sorts for a certain number of months. If that should expire, and immigration has not approved, rejected, or requested more information regarding your application, you need to go back to the immigration office and they will issue you an extension. Many, many people have this problem especially when immigration in Santiago gets really slow in reviewing applications.

This is a quote from an official ruling we requested from immigration on the issue for our clients:
En la copia de la solicitud que le fue entregada, se específica un plazo de validez del documento, periodo en el cual la Autoridad resolverá su petición, ya sea aprobando o rechazando. La validez del mismo puede ser ampliada, si excede el plazo de resolución.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tigernerve

Re: Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Post by tigernerve » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:08 am

What does it cost to renew or extend a temporary residence visa application once it expires?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Post by admin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:16 pm

It doesn't cost anything. It also depends on why you need to extend it.

If you for instance did not get your 180 days in one year, then you can extend for another year to get your 180 day requirement done. You must apply for a change to permanent residency within a fairly small window of 3 months, once your temporary residency requirements are completed. There is a point at which you can not extend your temp anymore and must start the process of applying all over again.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

philobasileus

Re: Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary v

Post by philobasileus » Mon May 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I applied for the visa temporaria 3 weeks ago and have not yet heard anything. My tourist visa (first 90 days) is up this week.

I just want to confirm that in my case, not yet having heard from the Ministerio, I will need to extend my visa.

I appreciate your help.

philobasileus

Post by philobasileus » Tue May 29, 2012 12:15 pm

philobasileus wrote:Thanks for posting this.

I applied for the visa temporaria 3 weeks ago and have not yet heard anything. My tourist visa (first 90 days) is up this week.

I just want to confirm that in my case, not yet having heard from the Ministerio, I will need to extend my visa.

I appreciate your help.
Thanks, I got this all sorted today. I received the documentation almost immediately after posting this!

DPAR

Post by DPAR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 am

I just stumbled across this thread, and thought it was pretty pertinent to my current situation. I've been in Chile on tourist cards for a little more than 13 months now. I've not overstayed. I've kept on top of that. My wife, our son (Both Chilean) and I have been waiting in Chile for US immigration to grant my wife an immigration visa. To make a long story short, we've stopped holding our breath on that one for now. Given Argentina's new means of collecting reciprocity fees at land crossings, I've figured it best to just apply for temporary residency for a year. My wife has the paperwork together (ridiculously light compared to the pile of paper I had fill out for her US immigration visa). We're sending it in tomorrow, but my tourist visa expires Feb.14. I REALLY don't want to end up being another one of this forum's cautionary tales. So is ADMIN saying I'm going to be okay, or should cough up the $160 and spend a day or two in Mendoza on top of everything else? I'm sorry if I'm asking something that's been asked too many times, but can someone who knows about this give me some peace of mind and tell me what they would do if they were in my shoes? This concerns me a great deal, as my ability to be with my family seems as though it could hang in the balance if something goes wrong. Muchas Gracias!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 am

As silly as it sounds, the mail receipt from the post office is your proof you filed until you receive official notification.

So, you as long as you get it in before your visa expires, your good.

DPAR

Post by DPAR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 am

Silly's fine with me in this case :D Thanks a lot for the info!

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 am

DPAR wrote:I just stumbled across this thread, and thought it was pretty pertinent to my current situation. I've been in Chile on tourist cards for a little more than 13 months now. I've not overstayed. I've kept on top of that. My wife, our son (Both Chilean) and I have been waiting in Chile for US immigration to grant my wife an immigration visa. To make a long story short, we've stopped holding our breath on that one for now. Given Argentina's new means of collecting reciprocity fees at land crossings, I've figured it best to just apply for temporary residency for a year. My wife has the paperwork together (ridiculously light compared to the pile of paper I had fill out for her US immigration visa). We're sending it in tomorrow, but my tourist visa expires Feb.14. I REALLY don't want to end up being another one of this forum's cautionary tales. So is ADMIN saying I'm going to be okay, or should cough up the $160 and spend a day or two in Mendoza on top of everything else? I'm sorry if I'm asking something that's been asked too many times, but can someone who knows about this give me some peace of mind and tell me what they would do if they were in my shoes? This concerns me a great deal, as my ability to be with my family seems as though it could hang in the balance if something goes wrong. Muchas Gracias!
Make sure you do it TODAY!, someone left it for the last minute a little while back and got a nice warning letter for overstaying, a month to receive and get it in the system is probably Just enough....

it was just a WARNING letter..... but still, a cross against your name :) (and we are in go slow month JAN/FEB... might take them longer than usual?)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 am

It is not only go slow month as in most of the country is taking vacation, but think about what happens in the summers here. All the gringos, new investors, and so on are running around the country, most that will file residency this year will be doing it around Feb or so, towards the end of summer. You also have things like foreign teachers and workers, as the vacation is over, companies start the hiring process for the next year. So, expect things to be backed up for many months to come at immigration.

enjayh

Post by enjayh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 pm

So if your tourist visa ran out after you sent in your app, but your visa application were to be rejected and returned with no sign of any "en tramites" paper, what then? (Let's say you were 10 days beyond the end of your tourist visa at that point. :? )

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm

enjayh wrote:So if your tourist visa ran out after you sent in your app, but your visa application were to be rejected and returned with no sign of any "en tramites" paper, what then? (Let's say you were 10 days beyond the end of your tourist visa at that point. :? )
point and laugh....

for was the rejection reason?