Possible border re-opening July 26th, and implications

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
okemillett

Possible border re-opening July 26th, and implications

Post by okemillett » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:52 pm

So I note the following article in La Tercera. Which suggests that MAYBE the borders will be reopened on July 26th.

https://www.latercera.com/earlyaccess/n ... OSKBLWVIE/

What is interesting here, is that it is unclear what evidence they will accept of vaccination. In my case, I was vaccinated outside of Chile (in the US) with a double-dose of the Moderna vaccine. I have the vaccine card given to me at the time of vaccination, proving this. To date, the Chileans have not provided the pase movilidad to me, because they a) don't acknowledge the Moderna vaccine as approved in Chile, and b) they say that there is no way to prove my vaccine card is real. The pase movilidad is issued only to those vaccinated in Chile.

Also interesting, is that right on the website for the pase movilidad, it states that the pase movilidad is ONLY for internal travel. Quote: 'No, este certificado tiene validez sólo dentro del país. Para viajes al extranjero rigen las restricciones y protocolos del país de destino.'

Finally, the irony of all this, is that assuming they reopen to allow foreign tourism again, they are going to be seeing a LOT of these vaccination cards like the one I have, and they are going to be seeing a lot of Moderna-vaccinated American travellers.

So - assuming the airports reopen for int'l travel, I will be very curious how they will treat my situation. I have a need to travel in August for two trade shows, and I am watching this (daily) changing situation closely...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible border re-opening July 26th, and implications

Post by admin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:41 pm

if they do try, it is big mistake.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

okemillett

Post by okemillett » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Well - I respectfully disagree - IF they reopen borders AND combine with strict mandatory hotel quarantine for entrants / returnees to Chile, then they should be able to manage spread. It seems like their use of the COVID quarantine hotels was rather porous (we stayed our 5 day hotel quarantine and subsequent 10 days at home in full compliance) - which strikes me as a bigger problem than people having some limited capacity to move. In any event, its a moot question at this stage. Won't know what is happening for several days yet.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:25 pm

Flew up to California on Tuesday night out of Santiago , the Santiago airport was very quiet, was only about 5 or 6 flights leaving when we were there.
Was about 50 people on the plane up to DFW.
Flight from DFW to LA was absolutely packed , their wasn’t a spare seat in the plane.
Masks are mandatory in flights and in airports, apart from that you wouldn’t know there is a pandemic here, everyone on vacation and looks like a lot of traveling, it appears staff are required to wear masks at hotels and restaurants and other public places, other than that there appears to be no mandatory restrictions whatsoever.

I would say maybe 25 percent of people are wearing masks .

We fly out to NZ on Tuesday, PCR tests at LAX on Sunday.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”