Chilean Border

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
vamoschile

Chilean Border

Post by vamoschile » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:59 pm

All,

Since the government of Chile has extended the border closures for at least another month does anyone have any experience trying to leave and what is required? I am a temporary resident waiting for my permanent residency but I need to go back to the US for a couple of months(4-6). I don't want to lose my permanent residency in process and I fear if I leave I won't be allowed back in to register my visa. FYI I am married to a Chilean and worry about having to sign a document saying I won't come back. I fear signing a document saying I won't come back it will cancel my visa in process that I have waited 2 years. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on what I can do to keep my visa and still leave Chile during the month of May.

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Chilean Border

Post by admin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:05 pm

I don't know what to tell you. If you want a guarantee about what the government is going to do, well........I can guarantee you it will be really much much stupider than any if us imagined.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:10 pm

That is the bad news.

The good news, at the rate this government is going, they might not be here by the time you get back. :lol: :shock: PDT_Armataz_01_40

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:17 pm

Admin,

From what I gather from the rules Chilean citizens and Chilean residents are not allows out of Chile without approval. Non-residents can leave with no problem. So in theory I am a temporary resident with a visa in process which means I can't leave even if I wanted to without the commissaria approval??
Have you seen anyone leave that is planning on coming back soon? Also, what is the current time frame for getting approved for permanent residency? I have 1 year and its still 5%. Just living the Chilean dream...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:23 pm

Residents can leave, with permission. now in theory, 4 to 6 months should be sufficient. it is the idiots popping out for the weekend to cancun to party that is the real problem.

we have seen people that are residents show for example their u.s. passport, proof they have a home in the united states, and declaring they are not coming back until like october, and they were granted a permit to exit.

You are however risking not being allowed back in when you need to enter is the problem. especially with the overhaul of the immigration law right now, .....lots that could go very wrong.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:29 pm

If anyone can help me out with these questions. I would appreciate it.

How long I can be outside Chile with a temporary visa in transit?
How long once the visa is approved do I have to register the visa?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:31 pm

The other problem, you may need to apply at a consulate outside the country for a permit to return. as you are married, have visa in process, etc; but, again the bureaucratic chaos right now is not to be trusted.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:32 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:29 pm

That is the problem. no one knows.

If you asked every single minister in the government, you would probably get a different answer right now from each one; and they would all be wrong.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:35 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:32 pm
vamoschile wrote:

If you asked every single minister in the government, you would probably get a different answer right now from each one; and they would all be wrong.
Thanks Admin! Isn't this the best time to be a lawyer? Everyone has a lot of questions and there are not exact answers yet...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:40 pm

This has never been done before. As far as I know, not in the entire history of the country.

closest they ever came was during the dictatorship, when people were exiled.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:02 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:35 pm
admin wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:32 pm
vamoschile wrote:

Thanks Admin! Isn't this the best time to be a lawyer? Everyone has a lot of questions and there are not exact answers yet...
yea, my wife and I have been having long discussions about what is to come over the last year or two with all the changes.

Our conclusion pretty much comes down to: we have no idea, but we are certain it will be a legal and beucratic mess that gives us job security not just until we retire, but probably for our niece that wants to go to law school and all the young lawyers we are just now training. :shock:

In fact, probably a good time to stock-up on young lawyers and start training them now, while the job market is still a mess and no one else is hiring.