Chile Borders Closed for 30 days, citizens and residents included

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: Chile Borders Closed for 30 days, citizens and residents included

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm

IME, with tourist visas, Chile state of emergency day count, etc., Day 1 is always the day of entry or official start of any new rule so I say arrive on 4 April not 5 April.

If you do not change it, you will probably be denied boarding and will not even arrive on 5 April.
Que será, será.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm

chesswolf wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:00 pm
I'd love to hear about that condition that allows residents to leave if they don't return "for at least 30 days." I have a three month trip planned soon and would be thrilled to hear that I can still go... if I can find any flights
I also would like to know that. All I read was "leave without returning" How was 30 days winnowed out of that?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:48 pm

30 days is how long these restrictions announced today are in effect, SO FAR.

There is no garentee these will not be renewed for 60, 90, 180 days.

So use at your own risk.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 pm

SUPagogo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 pm
Hi, Before changing my ticket from leaving US april 5 to leaving April 4 instead, I want to make sure I am interpreting the info that I can ARRIVE on the 5th (not a resident anylonger).

The reservation agents I spoke with say YES as long as I leave US before 5th I am OK to enter on the 5th.

Anyone else interpret this the same?

much appreciated.
I would not assume that what the airline says right now is true. At the end of the day it's not up to them. Last week, when they announced a new requirement for all arrivals to spend 5 days in a transit hotel before being allowed to go on to their final destination, the rule was stated to go into effect on "Wed. March 31st at 5am" (it was quite exact on official publications). This is what was published on the government's websites (there are more than 1). And sure enough, yesterday was the first day this was implemented, so people boarding their flight on Tuesday evening (March 30th) upon arrival Wed. morning had to go to a "transit hotel" for 5 days. Naturally, some airlines did not yet enforce this requirement when allowing people to board their flights the night before (you're supposed to have the hotel stay reserved and paid for at the moment you fill out the health declaration for your "sanitary passport"). Hence, there was some chaos at the airport yesterday.

My mom arrived to visit us and was able to just beat that new requirement by arriving on the morning of Tuesday March 30th (so her journey started on Monday). Since she's already here, these rules don't directly affect her for now, but it remains to be seen if there will be issues catching her return flight in a few weeks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:43 pm

hey, for anyone thinking they are going to pop out for a bit, and come back, or want to cut it to the last moment or day; we had clients stuck outside the country for months last year. We have some that still have not returned, and they just left for a month over a year ago.

There are no guarantees of anything. buy some travel insurance, because you are not getting any insurance from the Chilean government or the virus.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:49 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:43 pm
hey, for anyone thinking they are going to pop out for a bit, and come back, or want to cut it to the last moment or day; we had clients stuck outside the country for months last year. We have some that still have not returned, and they just left for a month over a year ago.

There are no guarantees of anything. buy some travel insurance, because you are not getting any insurance from the Chilean government or the virus.
I would also go one step ahead and check if cancellation due to the pandemic is covered by said travel insurance policy. Some policies may consider a global pandemic or government action force majeure, which means they may not cover you. I saw this kind of issue first hand multiple times in March 2020.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:05 pm

SUPagogo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 pm
Hi, Before changing my ticket from leaving US april 5 to leaving April 4 instead, I want to make sure I am interpreting the info that I can ARRIVE on the 5th (not a resident anylonger).

The reservation agents I spoke with say YES as long as I leave US before 5th I am OK to enter on the 5th.

Anyone else interpret this the same?

much appreciated.
If this is an airline reservation agent I would not count on them knowing whether your trip were possible if you start on the 4th. The agent at the airport might disagree. The new measure is to start "from 5 am" on the 5th of April. Unless you arrive before 5 am I imagine you could be denied boarding.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:39 pm

Latam has announced it is cancelling the majority of its international flights, operating minimal flights for foreigners leaving the country and Chilean citizens and residents returning.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/eco ... cida.shtml

Flights can be rescheduled at no costs.

so keep an eye on your flights.

SUPagogo

Post by SUPagogo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Hi, so my saga looks like this so far...not sure if it will be helpful to anyone.
Every one of my six calls to LATAM reservations had a different story. All incorrect. Some didn’t even know about the new regulations. I managed to change my ticket a couple of times without penalty because my original flight was cancelled. The Chilean consulate got back to me to clarify I MUST arrive by the 4th. Going with that information I did one last LATAM inquiry to see if by chance a seat opened to get me there on the 4th or earlier. We lucked out with a flight out the 3rd. Now through Miami - spring fling hot spot - into stg the 4th. I changed my obligatory insurance start date. Found a free PCR Friday afternoon and will fill out my papers and hotel business after getting the PCR doc. That said. I am NOT going to Chile for vacation. I feel super nervous about flying and all this. Risk benefit goes both ways positive and negative so I am going to go. Hopefully it will be easier on the return in June!

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 pm

SUPagogo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm
Hi, so my saga looks like this so far...not sure if it will be helpful to anyone.
Every one of my six calls to LATAM reservations had a different story. All incorrect. Some didn’t even know about the new regulations. I managed to change my ticket a couple of times without penalty because my original flight was cancelled. The Chilean consulate got back to me to clarify I MUST arrive by the 4th. Going with that information I did one last LATAM inquiry to see if by chance a seat opened to get me there on the 4th or earlier. We lucked out with a flight out the 3rd. Now through Miami - spring fling hot spot - into stg the 4th. I changed my obligatory insurance start date. Found a free PCR Friday afternoon and will fill out my papers and hotel business after getting the PCR doc. That said. I am NOT going to Chile for vacation. I feel super nervous about flying and all this. Risk benefit goes both ways positive and negative so I am going to go. Hopefully it will be easier on the return in June!
Good luck! Glad you were able to change the date.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:57 pm

SUPagogo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much if you have all your documents. I had family come in early this month and leave this week and we worried about a lot of things but nothing in our experience is really scrutinized beyond a simple check. I am not saying show up unprepared but if you are prepared the sanitary check takes a few minutes at tops. To me, it seems the airline is bearing most of the load to verify documents. If you can get on the plane you are probably okay. Also in my experience, most of the rules implemented by the government are not always executed by local Carabineros/PDI/SAC,ETC. My family came to town and we picked her up and went from the Santiago airport to Pucon without a single check. The only check required for my mom was a daily email questionnaire she had to fill out that took 30 seconds. In Pucon, my eyes were open as almost everyone in Pucon was breaking some type of regulation around the quarantine. We followed all protocol and filed for our vacation permit so we had everything needed but everyone else we talked to didn't. I was amazed at the number of nonimmigrant Argentines who were there as well as Europeans and all of the ones I talked to were breaking the 10-day quarantine regulation and were shopping at supermarkets with less than 5 days in the country. I am paranoid and told my mom we need to follow the rules because if they catch you it would be bad. We rented a large property in the woods and it was great for my mom during her quarantine. However, I had never seen so many cops in my life patrolling. But it appeared to be a game of cat and mouse because everyone out enjoying themselves were almost guaranteed to be breaking either an international quarantine regulation or a domestic quarantine regulation but the cops couldn't do anything unless they caught you breaking a law driving or not having updated car registration. Which all day every day they were checking at multiple entry points.

*Rant time*
This is not advice but just observation and personal experience I don't recommend breaking any rules but I think this information will help others when it comes to fear around quarantine regulations in Chile.

The people in Chile including the Carabineros, PDI, SAC, Military, etc are sick and tired of the quarantine regulations. Chileans will say they think they are good and we need to control the spread but after finishing that breathe they will drive to the local minimarket where permissions are not checked and buy bread and ham for dinner. Sort of rules for thee but not for me situation going on here. I always go out with my permissions but I have tested the sanitary checkpoints just to see what they will do. I speak probably 85% Spanish, I have spoken Spanish for over 12 years fluently and can talk about pretty much anything but when a cop stops me I always forget words(you can decide if I do it on purpose). I got stopped two days ago twice(military and then SAC) I told the first military these words without showing anything. "Madre Estados Unidos Volver PCR"(Mother USA Return PCR). We had the correct documents he didn't even ask and just waved me on saying Adelante. Like I said before the Chilean people are tired of the regulations. Later that day my second encounter with the cops and SAG. I pulled up and handed a PCR document that said nothing but in Spanish, I said PCR Prueba. The SAG agent said adelante. Once again we had our documents but they simply don't care enough to dig deeper. About 3 weeks ago I was stopped again and I handed them my US drivers license when they asked for papers and they looked at it and just waved me on. Like I said they are tired of being a glorified baby sitter. I don't recommend going out with permission or breaking any laws but you need to understand the idea that cops are on the hunt trying to bust people for breaking covid rules is just not true. The only things I have seen the cops show up and care about are parties with loud music and a car wreck. If you are not being dumb they won't really bother you. My mother-in-law passed away a couple of months ago the rule was like 10 people inside or something like that the cops without asking said you can have as many people as you want over just don't make a lot of noise. I asked what about the rule and he literally said I am the only cop on duty today and we are not going to do anything. I asked what about people coming without permissions he said they wouldn't prosecute that either. We were smart and only let 10 max inside at a time but it shows you people are burned out. My brother-in-law driving home at 11 PM when curfew was at 10 got stopped and he didn't have anything the cops gave a warning but didn't right anything down so as long as you don't get stopped by the same cop he should be good.

To me, the quarantine has been an utter disappointment in Chile. Do I think Covid is serious absolutely do I think the lockdown we have done has helped absolutely not. Let alone the rules on what constitutes an essential worked in Chile is baffling. Street performers constitute an essential worker! I have seen street performers dancing and then asking for money during quarantine with the cops watching and nothing is prosecuted. The toll booths which only accept cash are operating, how is that essential and talk about a giant Covid spreading mechanism.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:25 am

I get where you are coming from. yea, you can get away with a lot; but, you need to know exactly what you are doing, speak better than average spanish, and don't be suprised when it bites you in the ass.

The stupidity last summer, they were openly letting everyone get away with, is not now. Now, is because they were letting everyone get away with way too much.

I had a client a couple weeks ago, try to stretch the definition of a particular rule just a little bit too far. In fact the client was complying with the spirit if the law, if not exactly the letter of the law. Got busted. 2,5 million peso fine ($3,500 US).

I guess the question is, do you feel lucky? (read that with a Clint Eastwood voice). :lol: