Border Closed through JUNE 30th (updated), citizens and residents included

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
chesswolf

Re: Chile Borders Closed for 30 days, citizens and residents included

Post by chesswolf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:12 am

I just noticed that the comisaria virtual has a link for "solicitud extraordinaria de viaje al extranjero." I filled out our application even though our flight isn't for another few weeks. Filled out my information, the details of our flight (they asked for the return date), uploaded the print-out of the ticket, and then selected a reason for my flight. I selected, "residir en el extranjero." I'm hoping that 3 months abroad qualifies as "residir en el extranjero." Then I added my family members one by one and hit submit. My confirmation page says, "Hemos recibido correctamente su solicitud extraordinaria de viaje al extranjero N° *********, nos comunicaremos con usted al correo: ********"

I'm really hoping to hear back today. If they deny my application, I might be able to get on a flight leaving Sunday, although I'm guessing those are going to fill up super fast. If they grant the application, there's a good chance my flight will be cancelled and I'll have to find a new one, but at least I shouldn't have to deal with the legal hurdle of leaving, just the logistical one of finding a flight to leave on.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:42 am

IME, the sanitary control at Leyda is NOT to be messed with. I would not feel lucky playing dumb to being cocky there.
Que será, será.

nomad747

Post by nomad747 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:11 pm

SUPagogo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 pm
Hi, Before changing my ticket from leaving US april 5 to leaving April 4 instead, I want to make sure I am interpreting the info that I can ARRIVE on the 5th (not a resident anylonger).

The reservation agents I spoke with say YES as long as I leave US before 5th I am OK to enter on the 5th.

Anyone else interpret this the same?

much appreciated.
I would suggest you ensure entry on APR 4 precisely...don't accept the travel agent's advice!! Most times it just depends on what kind of breakfast the agent had if s/he is flexible or not...and unfortunately decisions at the airport are considered final and can't really be argued or reversed.

When the borders were opened to non-residents on Nov 23 last year, I had a flight that left Miami on Nov 22 and landed very early hours on Nov 23. The first agent at the windows denied my entry anyway so I requested consultation with a "manager".He told me that the agents could use their discretion no matter what changes were announced and that I had no further recourse to argue the decision. He told me that at the airport the day begins at 9am and that is when the borders would be open (lol!). Thankfully, after a lot of ass-kissing, he agreed to let me just wait in a holding area for a few hours and try again after 9am. Once I was settled in the city, a lawyer friend informed me that it was indeed wrong what they did and the borders were legally open from 12am on NOV 23...but she also told me I was lucky because any decisions made at certain points of entry (SCL specifically) are often considered final and carry more weight than anything the other government or immigration offices decide.

In any case, I would make sure to enter on APR 4 (proper!) and not give them ANY reason to hassle you (or send you back!).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Hey, we get about two dozen random calls a year from people that are detained, for various reasons at the airport on arrival (e.g. criminal records, immigration issues, lost passports, etc).

For very few of them are we able to do anything about it, before the next flight leaves back to wherever they came from. most end-up back on a plane.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:58 pm

I would expect the airlines to be on the ball after the March 31 fiasco. I'm sure that was a costly mess from the fines against the airlines from that screw-up or did the Chilean government take the blame for that one?
Que será, será.

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi all, I having trouble trying to figure out what is and isn't allowed.. The "allowed to leave if its for more than 30 days" seems a bit risky. I have to go to Suriname on 19 April, to try save my career.. I am supposed to be there (offshore) , basically in Quarantine for around 30 days. In this case will I be allowed to leave?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:00 pm

FYI, sorry, but unless you are already a contracted client, and you run in to trouble at the airport, do not call us.

We will not help you!!!!!!

years ago, we use to give it a go, in some sort of loss leader / humanitarian gesture; but, now no way.

Too many idiots waisting our time and resources have called us, that we have never heard from again. More importantly, never paid us.

You need to be able to transfer about $5,000 US to us immediately just to try (like within 30 yo 60 minutes); and, more like $30,000 by the time we are done (within 2 to 3 hours).

With ZERO promise we will get any results.

You need to appreciate what you are expecting. You are expecting us to drop everything in our office. talking dozens of people, and sometimes wake people up in the middle of the night, to go and fix your problem.

We have the head of the PDI (chilean FBI) and the head of department of immigranation on speed dial, but how many times do you think we can bother them before they no longer answer the phone?

How about judges? Prosecutors? The frigen cleaning lady at the airport?

why would we burn that very, very, expensive political capital on someone that is not even a client, and likly never will be even a moderately important client?

Are you planning to pay us $10,000+ U.S. a year, for the next 10 years?

Some of our clients have already signed a contract to do that, or have already paid us that.

If you are one of those, then we start making calls. However, those clients tend to follow the rules, and we do not need to make those sorts of calls.

But, those type of clients gets us to dance with the speed dial, if they need it.

But, some random gringo calls us a 5, 6, 7 a.m. in the morning from detention at the airport?

yea, not happening.

WE ARE NOT THE UN REFUGEE AGENCY.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 pm

nosaj wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 pm
Hi all, I having trouble trying to figure out what is and isn't allowed.. The "allowed to leave if its for more than 30 days" seems a bit risky. I have to go to Suriname on 19 April, to try save my career.. I am supposed to be there (offshore) , basically in Quarantine for around 30 days. In this case will I be allowed to leave?
NO!!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 pm

sky and jetsmart are also cancelling flights.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... nales.html

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:48 pm

A couple updates from the first day of the closed boarders.

1. there are no more transit hotels available, for inbound passengers returning.

2. outbound passengers must request their exit authorization in advance. It is not automatic. you must apply for it in advance, with any supporting documents. It will be reviewed manually. So do not assume it is something you can do at the airport on your way out.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:02 pm

so seems they are saying it takes at least 1 day prior to travel to recieve the permit to leave,

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... acion.html

Given the beucratic mess, If you have to travel I would say apply for the permit at least a few days before.

SUPagogo

Post by SUPagogo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:57 am

Good Morning, FYI. I landed in stg Sunday morning. The worst part of the trip was my AA flight to Miami packed with 284 passengers shoulder to shoulder! If after all this if I get a post-vaccine breakthrough of C19 then I’ll know where it originated! What a sock to my system after staying “safer at home” for a year to see the real american people pass on their chins or nose exposed and having never heard of giving space between people! So far just sitting in my hotel pacing the floor to get some steps in No one has knocked on my door or indicated when I’ll take a PCR. So just waiting things out.