Border Closed through JULY 25th (updated), citizens and residents included

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
texasdiver

Re: Border Closed through JULY 14th (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by texasdiver » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:08 am

My wife was one of them. She just flew down from the states in late May to look after her elderly parents for a month. Father is starting to show signs of dementia and mother is fragile and was hospitalized briefly after a fall. They are ages 88 and 89 and basically too stubborn to accept outside home health care nurses taking care of them. Chile appears to have no upscale assisted living facilities which is problematic and my in-laws are rattling around their Vitacura apartment on their own with an elderly maid.

She had to quarantine at the Holiday Inn Express in Las Condes for 5 days. But no hassles getting back out. Actually her first application to leave was denied but I sent her a bunch of .pdfs showing her name on utility bills, property deeds, and her pay stubs, and her employer which is a hospital here sent a letter saying she was employed in the US and the needed her back. The second time around it was approved and she flew back last week. She has both US and Chilean passports and a ton of evidence that she actually does live in the US and was just on an emergency medical visit to care for elderly parents.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:48 pm

So, are they going to extend the border closure? I haven't seen an announcement yet the gob.cl still states July 15th.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:02 pm

Eric wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:48 pm
So, are they going to extend the border closure? I haven't seen an announcement yet the gob.cl still states July 15th.
Today there was a press release focused on changes to the "Paso a Paso" plan, which has guidelines for how the pandemic is handled in Chile. They haven't made any comments about opening the borders, and Paula Daza (the Healthcare Subsecretary) has mentioned in passing they'll continue to be closed for now.

I would expect for an extension on the border closure to be published by next Monday.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Thanks. We need to make a trip to the US. I am hoping that I don't have to plead for a special exception.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 pm

They appear to be looking at September for opening the borders but there has been no official announcement. They are hoping to have more people vaccinated before then and to start on the third dose booster. This is more or less when some international airlines have said flights will be restored. They will have to extend the closed borders before 14th July, which is the current limit. They will probably extend it for another month but I would not expect anything really different before September.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:24 pm

You know, they have never said it explicitly, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are waiting to see if vaccination campaigns in neighboring countries here in S. America make greater progress and they start to get their cases more under control in those countries too.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Not happening anytime soon people.

everyone that is coming in with delta right now is clearly catching it in transit (e.g. airport or plane), as they are coming in with a negative PCR within 3 days of leaving, another test at the airport on arrival, and then testing positive after the incubation period durring quartine.

They have announced stricter enforcement of quartine, but I would not be surprised if they increase the measures after all the close call cases that have slipped through.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:03 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:07 pm
Not happening anytime soon people.

everyone that is coming in with delta right now is clearly catching it in transit (e.g. airport or plane), as they are coming in with a negative PCR within 3 days of leaving, another test at the airport on arrival, and then testing positive after the incubation period durring quartine.

They have announced stricter enforcement of quartine, but I would not be surprised if they increase the measures after all the close call cases that have slipped through.
They probably get it from the crew on the flight. With the frequency of travel they do, there is no way they get tested enough.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:41 pm

I think airport is almost more likely than airplane. People taking domestic flights would, presumably, not have had a PCR test and would be mixing with domestic and international travellers. Once on the plane, everyone has had a PCR test. Or some PCR tests ae better than others?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:38 pm

Data point: brother of my wife entered Chile two days ago from Colombia and is at the Hotel Neruda in Providencia and did not have to pay.
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:25 pm

11 people have been arrested at the airport in recent days with falsified documents,

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ados.shtml
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:25 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:25 pm
11 people have been arrested at the airport in recent days with falsified documents,

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ados.shtml
I was watching this on the midday news. When the reporter asked some passengers in the line why they were travelling -all had their permission in order - one actually said "vacaciones de invierno". Winter holiday. So you don't even need to have a false permission.