Border Closed through JUNE 30th (updated), citizens and residents included

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Post Reply
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24143
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:19 am

PXYC wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 pm
Will a foreigner with resident visa that left the country before border closure, and with return flight schedulled for next week, be allowed to enter?
yes, residents and citizen can still enter, with all the requirements listed above.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

susiedillon
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 am
Location: In El Campo, Region VII

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by susiedillon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 am

I have spent a little time detailing our quest for permission to leave the country and hope the following information may be of help to others in the same situation.

The form that you need to submit in order to get permission to leave Chile can be found on the Comisaria Virtual webpage, the same page that you use to receive your temporary permisos for going shopping, etc. It is located at the bottom of the page.

It took us two attempts to receive the required permission to leave Chile by air. Our first had been refused for an apparent lack of supporting documents - quote: “por no acreditarse suficientemente la causal invocada, ya que los documentos acompañados no acreditan la residencia permanente del solicitante en el extranjero. Acompañar mayores antecedentes que acrediten residencia en el país señalado (ej. contrato de trabajo, arriendo, cuentas, estudios, etc.) y volver a presentar solicitud.”

On our second application we invoked a different reason for needing to return to Canada, this time health. The application form is the usual format; name, address, RUT, etc. and “pick one of the following categories”, giving you only 4 choices of reasons for leaving. So having stated our reason for leaving was for health purposes, I decided that the one area to focus on is the 500 character narrative box. Short, pithy and to the point. And then choose the supporting documents that you attach to the submission very carefully. You have a maximum of five attachments. Our documents focused on proof that our principal residence and health care was in our home country, not in Chile.

The first unsuccessful submission was done last Friday, 2 weeks before our scheduled departure date. Both submissions received a response within an hour or so. But I feel that a week earlier might have been better - allowing for more time to acquire further supporting documents, and less overall stress.

A few details. The form can be filled in by the primary passenger and towards the end of the form you have an opportunity to add accompanying passengers to the application. I assume they would have to be travelling for the same reasons as the primary passenger. Our narrative portion was Google translated into decent Spanish!!! Everything we stated on the form was the truth - no mistruths or wild exaggerations. Our air tickets are the return portion of a ticket that originated in Canada. You must provide an anticipated date of return, and since we do not have one, we guessed at 15 Jan 2022.

shortiemama
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by shortiemama » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:23 am

Thank you, susiedillon!

Kdburns
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by Kdburns » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:01 pm

susiedillon wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 am
I have spent a little time detailing our quest for permission to leave the country and hope the following information may be of help to others in the same situation.

The form that you need to submit in order to get permission to leave Chile can be found on the Comisaria Virtual webpage, the same page that you use to receive your temporary permisos for going shopping, etc. It is located at the bottom of the page.

It took us two attempts to receive the required permission to leave Chile by air. Our first had been refused for an apparent lack of supporting documents - quote: “por no acreditarse suficientemente la causal invocada, ya que los documentos acompañados no acreditan la residencia permanente del solicitante en el extranjero. Acompañar mayores antecedentes que acrediten residencia en el país señalado (ej. contrato de trabajo, arriendo, cuentas, estudios, etc.) y volver a presentar solicitud.”

On our second application we invoked a different reason for needing to return to Canada, this time health. The application form is the usual format; name, address, RUT, etc. and “pick one of the following categories”, giving you only 4 choices of reasons for leaving. So having stated our reason for leaving was for health purposes, I decided that the one area to focus on is the 500 character narrative box. Short, pithy and to the point. And then choose the supporting documents that you attach to the submission very carefully. You have a maximum of five attachments. Our documents focused on proof that our principal residence and health care was in our home country, not in Chile.

The first unsuccessful submission was done last Friday, 2 weeks before our scheduled departure date. Both submissions received a response within an hour or so. But I feel that a week earlier might have been better - allowing for more time to acquire further supporting documents, and less overall stress.

A few details. The form can be filled in by the primary passenger and towards the end of the form you have an opportunity to add accompanying passengers to the application. I assume they would have to be travelling for the same reasons as the primary passenger. Our narrative portion was Google translated into decent Spanish!!! Everything we stated on the form was the truth - no mistruths or wild exaggerations. Our air tickets are the return portion of a ticket that originated in Canada. You must provide an anticipated date of return, and since we do not have one, we guessed at 15 Jan 2022.
Thanks!

User avatar
hlf2888
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1013
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: seventh region
Contact:

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:04 pm

susiedillon wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 am
I have spent a little time detailing our quest for permission to leave the country and hope the following information may be of help to others in the same situation.

The form that you need to submit in order to get permission to leave Chile can be found on the Comisaria Virtual webpage, the same page that you use to receive your temporary permisos for going shopping, etc. It is located at the bottom of the page.

It took us two attempts to receive the required permission to leave Chile by air. Our first had been refused for an apparent lack of supporting documents - quote: “por no acreditarse suficientemente la causal invocada, ya que los documentos acompañados no acreditan la residencia permanente del solicitante en el extranjero. Acompañar mayores antecedentes que acrediten residencia en el país señalado (ej. contrato de trabajo, arriendo, cuentas, estudios, etc.) y volver a presentar solicitud.”

On our second application we invoked a different reason for needing to return to Canada, this time health. The application form is the usual format; name, address, RUT, etc. and “pick one of the following categories”, giving you only 4 choices of reasons for leaving. So having stated our reason for leaving was for health purposes, I decided that the one area to focus on is the 500 character narrative box. Short, pithy and to the point. And then choose the supporting documents that you attach to the submission very carefully. You have a maximum of five attachments. Our documents focused on proof that our principal residence and health care was in our home country, not in Chile.

The first unsuccessful submission was done last Friday, 2 weeks before our scheduled departure date. Both submissions received a response within an hour or so. But I feel that a week earlier might have been better - allowing for more time to acquire further supporting documents, and less overall stress.

A few details. The form can be filled in by the primary passenger and towards the end of the form you have an opportunity to add accompanying passengers to the application. I assume they would have to be travelling for the same reasons as the primary passenger. Our narrative portion was Google translated into decent Spanish!!! Everything we stated on the form was the truth - no mistruths or wild exaggerations. Our air tickets are the return portion of a ticket that originated in Canada. You must provide an anticipated date of return, and since we do not have one, we guessed at 15 Jan 2022.
Thanks susiedillon One question, Since Chile has a comparable health system to most first world countries, how did you manage to claim health, unless you are referring to the "free" healthcare in Canada vs the 7% one must pay to Fonbasa?

susiedillon
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 am
Location: In El Campo, Region VII

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by susiedillon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 pm

We are covered by OHIP in Ontario, and have stayed within the rules to maintain that. We buy a separate travel health insurance policy for the time we are in Chile.

vamoschile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by vamoschile » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:32 pm

susiedillon wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 pm
We are covered by OHIP in Ontario, and have stayed within the rules to maintain that. We buy a separate travel health insurance policy for the time we are in Chile.
Are you a permanent resident?

susiedillon
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 am
Location: In El Campo, Region VII

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by susiedillon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:56 pm

Vamos - Yes, we are.

Kdburns
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by Kdburns » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:36 pm

For what it’s worth. I just received my permission to travel to the USA in July and return in September. Based on “living outside of Chile” as the selected option on the list. I am contracted to work in the USA and showed the work contract. I also showed we maintain a house/residency there and shared bills with that address. I also explained I have not purchased airline tickets yet, pending approval of my request to leave. It was approved in 5 hours. No issues.

vamoschile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by vamoschile » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:40 pm

Kdburns wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:36 pm
For what it’s worth. I just received my permission to travel to the USA in July and return in September. Based on “living outside of Chile” as the selected option on the list. I am contracted to work in the USA and showed the work contract. I also showed we maintain a house/residency there and shared bills with that address. I also explained I have not purchased airline tickets yet, pending approval of my request to leave. It was approved in 5 hours. No issues.
Are you a permanent resident?

Kdburns
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by Kdburns » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:40 pm
Kdburns wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:36 pm
For what it’s worth. I just received my permission to travel to the USA in July and return in September. Based on “living outside of Chile” as the selected option on the list. I am contracted to work in the USA and showed the work contract. I also showed we maintain a house/residency there and shared bills with that address. I also explained I have not purchased airline tickets yet, pending approval of my request to leave. It was approved in 5 hours. No issues.
Are you a permanent resident?
Yes

User avatar
snobrd4life
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by snobrd4life » Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 am

So has anybody read anything regarding fully vaccinated Chileans and residents being able to travel internationally beyond May 31st? Or is this border closure likely to be continue as is?
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Post Reply