Border Closed through JUNE 30th (updated), citizens and residents included

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24183
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by admin » Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am

There is suppose to be a "green card" and "vaccine passport" program under development by the government.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24183
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by admin » Tue May 04, 2021 11:57 am

which, thanks to the morons running florida, might face a very big problem.

de santos has passed a law making it illegal to ask for a vaccine passport or proof of vaccination in florida.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 99909.html


where do a large majority of latin american flights originate or cross?

Florida.

Chile can require the airlines to prove vaccination of passengers, fine the airlines, arrest and deport anyone that arrives without it, and for airlines that are repeat offenders, cancel or suspend their operation license in Chile.

That is one nasty catch-22 for the airline industry.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24183
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by admin » Tue May 04, 2021 12:01 pm

and I don't think Chile is going to be the only one,

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argenti ... eiza.phtml
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
snobrd4life
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by snobrd4life » Tue May 04, 2021 12:38 pm

admin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:57 am
which, thanks to the morons running florida, might face a very big problem.

de santos has passed a law making it illegal to ask for a vaccine passport or proof of vaccination in florida.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 99909.html


where do a large majority of latin american flights originate or cross?

Florida.

Chile can require the airlines to prove vaccination of passengers, fine the airlines, arrest and deport anyone that arrives without it, and for airlines that are repeat offenders, cancel or suspend their operation license in Chile.

That is one nasty catch-22 for the airline industry.
The airlines can mandate whatever they want at the gate to comply with requirements set by authorities in the destination country to prevent boarding of individuals that will be turned away by immigration at the destination airport. As I understand, most countries will either require vaccine proof or approved 72 hour PCR. Kind of like having tag for the toll booth on the highway vs having to go the slow manual way.

If Chile wants to go the way of vaccine passport for domestic activities and to be able to transit in and out of the country, I see no issue. I just don't see why Florida not participating in a formal vaccine passport program would have ramifications for valid international travel. Why would DeSantis' declaration change any of that? As far as I can see, it just prohibits the denial of service to customers for local business on basis of having a vaccine (or any kind of) passport. Anybody is free to get a vaccine passport to comply and enter zones that require it. The declaration does not prohibit getting a vaccine passport if that is what one choses to do.

Look at it this way, the airline can't get in trouble if somebody in the US buys a ticket to fly to a country that requires a visa, does not get the visa and shows up to board the flight and is turned away. Airlines have been doing this for years and I see no difference enforcing similar requirements in order to board an airplane complying with the requirements of the destination. Am I missing something?
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

susiedillon
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 am
Location: In El Campo, Region VII

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by susiedillon » Tue May 04, 2021 12:56 pm

UPDATE to my earlier post.
We had to get a new Autorizacion de Viaje al Exterior due to our original flights being cancelled and the new flights departing on a later date. After trying to change only the date of departure via an email to Comisaria Virtual - no response after 24 hours - I submitted an entirely new application, changing only the date of departure, and noting in the Narrative box , the number of the previously approved solicitud, and the fact that all the other data remained exactly the same, only the date had changed. I received the new approval certificate within 5 minutes. Was it magic, did anyone actually read it? Who knows? But I write this to help anyone who may be in the same situation, and would suggest that they do not try the email route, it seems to be an un-manned address. And who needs more stress these days?

susiedillon
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 am
Location: In El Campo, Region VII

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by susiedillon » Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm

And I forgot to add that I attached a copy of the original approved authorization, and a copy of the new airline tickets, as supporting documents. Drown them in paperwork!

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24183
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by admin » Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:38 pm
admin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:57 am
which, thanks to the morons running florida, might face a very big problem.

de santos has passed a law making it illegal to ask for a vaccine passport or proof of vaccination in florida.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 99909.html


where do a large majority of latin american flights originate or cross?

Florida.

Chile can require the airlines to prove vaccination of passengers, fine the airlines, arrest and deport anyone that arrives without it, and for airlines that are repeat offenders, cancel or suspend their operation license in Chile.

That is one nasty catch-22 for the airline industry.
The airlines can mandate whatever they want at the gate to comply with requirements set by authorities in the destination country to prevent boarding of individuals that will be turned away by immigration at the destination airport. As I understand, most countries will either require vaccine proof or approved 72 hour PCR. Kind of like having tag for the toll booth on the highway vs having to go the slow manual way.

If Chile wants to go the way of vaccine passport for domestic activities and to be able to transit in and out of the country, I see no issue. I just don't see why Florida not participating in a formal vaccine passport program would have ramifications for valid international travel. Why would DeSantis' declaration change any of that? As far as I can see, it just prohibits the denial of service to customers for local business on basis of having a vaccine (or any kind of) passport. Anybody is free to get a vaccine passport to comply and enter zones that require it. The declaration does not prohibit getting a vaccine passport if that is what one choses to do.

Look at it this way, the airline can't get in trouble if somebody in the US buys a ticket to fly to a country that requires a visa, does not get the visa and shows up to board the flight and is turned away. Airlines have been doing this for years and I see no difference enforcing similar requirements in order to board an airplane complying with the requirements of the destination. Am I missing something?
nope, totally agree. It is fully under international treaties and federal jurisdiction; but, that won't stop the morons from trying I am sure.

The cruise industry that departs florida is the one really squirming right now, along with all the parks.

It does not happen a lot anymore, but there are plenty of countries that use to require tests and / or vaccine records to enter. Chile, technically, still has a requirement for an HIV test on the books. China, I had to have an HIV test to get a visa, then they tested again when I arrived. proof of various vaccines use to be common around latin America to enter.

so, I totally don't see this being much more than a publicity stunt for the chumpets.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by tiagoabner » Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm

Proof of yellow fever vaccination is still required and enforced in Panama today. There's no reason why a Covid vaccine can't be made mandatory to enter a country. I think this is Floridians doing what they do best: be "Florida Man".
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
snobrd4life
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by snobrd4life » Tue May 04, 2021 5:00 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm
I think this is Floridians doing what they do best: be "Florida Man".
I miss that feed! Good stuff.

I've been here in South Florida for about 2 years now and everybody around here says even though geographically the Southeast, US, Florida gets more Southern the further North you go. DeSantis absolutely does not speak for everybody. He has 2024 Pres/VP aspirations and will totally ride the MAGA wave as far as it will take him.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by paladin » Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 pm

I read today that the govt is “ thinking about” having some kind of passport ( how long do you need to decide that ??) , and that it could be ready by around September. What do we have, apart from that little card we get when vaccinated, to show the authorities in other countries like say Europe, where I hope to travel to in July? The card I have could easily be forged by any amateur and there’s no way it can be verified. I asked via Chile Atiende what they could offer, but never received a reply.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by tiagoabner » Tue May 04, 2021 7:52 pm

paladin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 pm
I read today that the govt is “ thinking about” having some kind of passport ( how long do you need to decide that ??) , and that it could be ready by around September. What do we have, apart from that little card we get when vaccinated, to show the authorities in other countries like say Europe, where I hope to travel to in July? The card I have could easily be forged by any amateur and there’s no way it can be verified. I asked via Chile Atiende what they could offer, but never received a reply.
They seem to be working on it behind the scenes already. Access www.mevacuno.cl and create an account. Under "Mis vacunas" you should be able to get a vaccine certificate. There's nothing official out there about this yet, but I assume this is going to be the vaccine certificate.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Chile Borders Closed through MAY (updated), citizens and residents included

Post by paladin » Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:52 pm
paladin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 pm
I read today that the govt is “ thinking about” having some kind of passport ( how long do you need to decide that ??) , and that it could be ready by around September. What do we have, apart from that little card we get when vaccinated, to show the authorities in other countries like say Europe, where I hope to travel to in July? The card I have could easily be forged by any amateur and there’s no way it can be verified. I asked via Chile Atiende what they could offer, but never received a reply.
They seem to be working on it behind the scenes already. Access www.mevacuno.cl and create an account. Under "Mis vacunas" you should be able to get a vaccine certificate. There's nothing official out there about this yet, but I assume this is going to be the vaccine certificate.

Thanks very much tiagoabner, I’ll do as suggested

Post Reply