Quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
olafboswijk

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by olafboswijk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:27 am

hi all,

allow me to briefly introduce myself before I ask my question.
I have been following the forum for a while, have picked up a lot here, so thanks for all the worthwhile contributions and info!

I am Dutch originally (from Amsterdam), and after a long time traveling from Canada down to Patagonia in our campervan we decided to settle in La Araucania last year, where we have bought a parcela and built a cabin last April. As my wife was pregnant and her father was ill (not covid related), we had to leave suddenly to be back here in the Netherlands to care for him. With our daughter also close to being born and the pandemic rapidly getting worse, we decided to stay for a while. We are now planning to fly back to Chile mid March (about to buy tickets). We have just been granted permanent residency a few days ago, but our daughter was born in the Netherlands, so we will have to start a new residency application for her.

My question: the Chilean regulations state we also need a negative PCR test for our daughter, who is now 5 months old, but in the Netherlands there is no policy to test this age group. And I imagine it being pretty terrifying for her, it was unpleasant to say the least when I got tested last week. Does anybody know the small print of this regulation? Am trying to find out if we can test her anyway and how this would work as I've also heard of specialized tests for small children where they have to chew on a cottonbud for 10mins to capture the virus. Any help is much appreciated.

snobrd4life

Re: Quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by snobrd4life » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 am

**editing original response because infants are special. thanks to the folks below for providing actual sources to assist.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 pm

According to Salud Responde from the Ministry of Health, children under 2 are exempt.

6.-¿Todos quienes ingresan al país deben contar con un PRC negativo, incluso los niños?
Se excluye de la obligatoriedad de contar con un PCR a los lactantes menores de 2 años.

This is the website:
https://saludresponde.minsal.cl/pregunt ... eros/#vel6

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Donnybrook2 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 pm
According to Salud Responde from the Ministry of Health, children under 2 are exempt.

6.-¿Todos quienes ingresan al país deben contar con un PRC negativo, incluso los niños?
Se excluye de la obligatoriedad de contar con un PCR a los lactantes menores de 2 años.

This is the website:
https://saludresponde.minsal.cl/pregunt ... eros/#vel6
Also from Timatic:
Passengers must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) PCR SARS-CoV-2 test, taken at most 72 hours before departure of the last direct flight to Chile.

This does not apply to passengers younger than 2 years.
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 pm

That is probably more of a practical matter.

ever see a doctor try to stick something up the nose of a squirming two year old?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm

u.k., has banned travel for citizens of a bunch of south american countries, including Chile.

https://www.df.cl/noticias/economia-y-p ... 81648.html
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

olafboswijk

Post by olafboswijk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Passengers must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) PCR SARS-CoV-2 test, taken at most 72 hours before departure of the last direct flight to Chile.

This does not apply to passengers younger than 2 years.
[/quote]

thanks! it seems contradictory with this website (also from gobierno de Chile):
https://chile.travel/planviajarachile

Para ingresar a Chile ¿Todos deben contar con un PRC negativo, incluso los niños?
Efectivamente, ya que la normativa no discrimina entre adultos, niños o lactantes. Recordemos que todos pueden contraer la enfermedad y transmitirla.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Olaf, that is a tourism website, albeit official. I would take a printout of the Ministry of Health information to the airport. You can also ask them to check Timatic (the bible for airlines).

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 am

I have been checking the minsal website sporadically, at first it said everyone needed a test, and then a few days later changed it to everyone 2 years and over.

olafboswijk

Post by olafboswijk » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:54 am

Donnybrook2 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm
Olaf, that is a tourism website, albeit official. I would take a printout of the Ministry of Health information to the airport. You can also ask them to check Timatic (the bible for airlines).
yes, i know, you'd think the rules would be the same as the same government makes them. thanks for the tip about the print out, will do that.

helibel

Post by helibel » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 am

woo Hoo, I received my first shot of the Moderna vaccine last week and will get the second Booster on the 7th of February. Will I have to quarantine in March if we come to Chile?

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:56 pm

helibel wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 am
woo Hoo, I received my first shot of the Moderna vaccine last week and will get the second Booster on the 7th of February. Will I have to quarantine in March if we come to Chile?
When asked [Sun, Jan 03, 2021, source*], "whether those who do get vaccinated can still pass the virus onto others", dr. Fauci told Newsweek: "That's a good question. We don't know that yet. We do not know if the vaccines that prevent clinical disease also prevent infection."
___
* https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-an ... el-1558303

When asked [Sun, Jan 03, 2021, same source], "What else do we not know about the virus?", dr. Fauci said: "We don't know what we don't know,"