Quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
GAminer

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATED)

Post by GAminer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:32 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:19 pm
GAminer wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:28 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:09 pm
So to be clear, residents and citizens must show a 72 hour neg PCR test to board and if positive that resident or citizen is locked out of Chile?
It takes 3 to 7 business days just to get the results from the test back, so not sure how anyone will be able to return.
I am sure it differs from city to city, but the hospital here told me between 3 and 7. I will call around to other places and see. Worst case scenario I buy a last minute flight the day of receiving the test results.
It depends on which country you're getting tested at. My wife managed to get tested last Monday in Brazil, and she got her results within 24 hours, well in time for her flight on Wednesday. Things aren't as fast in the US, as far as I can see.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:39 pm

well, part of the reason for this is a bunch of chileans were gearing up.to leave the country for vacation, likely to destinations like the inited states with much less restrictions.

that is how this mess got started last year. bunch of asses coming back in to the country with covid. several of them were doctors that thought they were somehow special.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:41 pm

I might also remind people to stay away from any "home test" or "self-adminstrated" test kits, or you might find your test rejected on arrival.

I know slimeball American Airlines and a few others have been pushing that crap trying to sell tickets.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:32 pm

oh, just in case anyone thinks they are going to get creative and land in argentina (there is always a few) to access Chile, Argentina essential shutdown all travel to the country for everyone but citzens and residents too:

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argenti ... ions.phtml

admin
Site Admin

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATED, Jan 7th)

Post by admin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:38 pm

well, seems someone finally pointed out to the health Minister, they can not refuse to allow a chilean citizen or perment resident in to the country, if they do not have a PCR test.

They can fine them and order them to quartine however.

so anyone arriving without a negative PCR test will be fined up to 3 million pesos, and ordered to complete a 10 day quartine at a sanitary hotel.

houseonfire

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by houseonfire » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Does anyone know if there are any exemptions to this, or where I can find the official details? The UK has just announced similar measures, but children under the age of 11 are exempt.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by admin » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:53 pm

houseonfire wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:24 pm
Does anyone know if there are any exemptions to this, or where I can find the official details? The UK has just announced similar measures, but children under the age of 11 are exempt.
there are no exemptions.

children can still carry the virus. an exemption for children would be about as stupid as it gets. no point in doing it, if children are not included.

BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET

Post by BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:40 am

Has anyone been thorough Santiago airport Border Control since the ten day quarantine took effect on January 1?
They usually ask about destination, and length and purpose of stay. I worry that if I show up with a 7 day return ticket, they will say "You are not coming here for a week just to stay quarantined at your hotel, I see your fly rod, you intend to go fishing, we won't let you in." Anyone have any experience to share?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:47 am

BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:40 am
Has anyone been thorough Santiago airport Border Control since the ten day quarantine took effect on January 1?
They usually ask about destination, and length and purpose of stay. I worry that if I show up with a 7 day return ticket, they will say "You are not coming here for a week just to stay quarantined at your hotel, I see your fly rod, you intend to go fishing, we won't let you in." Anyone have any experience to share?
Are you a resident or citizen?

BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET

Post by BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 am

I'm a U.S. citizen. I've flown to Santiago about 20 times and am usually asked about the purpose and length of stay at the Border Control kiosk. I don't want to lie and say I am staying a month so it will seem more likely I intend to quarantine...if the Border Control folks can access my return flight itinerary, lying will not go over well and my entire party of eight could be sent home. Quarantine at a lodge will be redundant for me...on the rivers I fish, there will be no humans for miles.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:07 am

Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 am
I'm a U.S. citizen. I've flown to Santiago about 20 times and am usually asked about the purpose and length of stay at the Border Control kiosk. I don't want to lie and say I am staying a month so it will seem more likely I intend to quarantine...if the Border Control folks can access my return flight itinerary, lying will not go over well and my entire party of eight could be sent home. Quarantine at a lodge will be redundant for me...on the rivers I fish, there will be no humans for miles.
think you need to explain what you are planning to do in more detail.

there are also currently PCR test and quarantine requirments to enter various regions of the Patagonia.

not to mention they are all changing fast. by the time you land, ....

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:17 am

Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 am
You may have missed why he asked you if you're a Chilean resident or citizen: they have different rules to enter the country when compared to tourists.

If you plan to stay for less than the quarantine period, you won't be able to be out and about. Specifically, the Santiago metro area has restricted access to other areas at this time in order to limit spread.

You can use your passport and incoming ticket as proof of necessary travel within the first 24 hours after you arrive, as it's implied that you just came into the country and you're in the way to your final destination. However, you'll need to get a "sanitary passport" on the way back to Santiago, which is when they'll cross-reference your passport number and they'll notice that you were meant to be quarantining. Fines for non-compliance can go up to $65,000 (yes, really).

If you feel like it's really important to make your trip, plan to stay over two weeks in the country. As you said, you won't be close to people in that cabin in the woods (so you'll basically be quarantining better than 50% of the country), and you'll be able to comply with the current guidelines. Trying to lie your way through the rules in Chile is a Very Bad Idea.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.