Chilean border's to open to tourist, none-residents

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Donnybrook2

Re: Chilean border's to open to tourist, none-residents

Post by Donnybrook2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 pm

If you do not have the PCR you need to quarantine and at the address you put on the form at c19 dot cl. You fill that in within 48 hrs of arrival. If you can arrange to be picked up at the airport (supplying name of driver and details of the vehicle). This would be the best option for you as you can't get on a bus to get there and you have to go straight to where you will quarantine. You need a doctor's prescription to get the PCR done here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am

minor correction, you do not need a doctor's prescription to get a PCR. There are thousands of people tested every day, with no prescription all over the country. I can get a test in the parking lot of my grocery store just by walking up to the health services van.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:40 am

Think long and hard about can you afford to come to Chile. If things go sideways, can you take care of yourself. Have a plan A through Z.

Here is a story about how the U.S. state department has started collection actions for American's evacuated from countries at the start of the pandemic by the government.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/11/17 ... bills/amp/

I actually believe $1,300 for an emergency flight out of Peru was a very reasonable amount of money under the circumstances. If we had to organize charter flights like that, it would have been way, way more money.

Personally, in 30+ years of travel around the world, with lots of practice at getting myself in to trouble, I can not think of a single situation that getting the U.S. state department involved would have solved anything. In fact, most situations would have just compounded the problems.

The moral to the story, don't go somewhere, you can not get yourself out.

Although, I have to admit, I once almost called the Chilean consulate to evacuate me. I was on my third day at Disney world, and could not handle being stuck in line with one more bat shit crazy american redneck. :lol: :shock:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Here is the thing. We should distinguish between why people are coming to Chile and how long they are staying, in evaluating if they should consider coming at all.

If you are coming to Chile, and expect you are going to pop in for 3 or 4 days, see the eclipse or do some other touristy thing, and then pop out; you need to be prepared for things potentially changing rapidly and needing to stay longer.

On the other hand, if you are coming to Chile to stay a while. For example, lots of people have been waiting for the boarders to open to move to Chile, entering under a tourist visa, then filing for residency. In those cases, the potential hassle / expense of things not going smoothly, is probably worth it. Say you get stuck in quarantine, for a few days while you wait on a new PCR test, because your negative PCR expired by the time you arrived, or you got the wrong type of test (i.e. it must be a PCR, and not one of the rapid test). Basically you have the time. Minor inconvenience, but nothing catastrophic.

Another case, is people that sort of come to Chile seasonally for the summer months, or you are on an extended vacation.

The one I would think carefully about is if you have to say be somewhere else at a certain time (e.g. you got to be back to work on monday), or you are coming on a very limited shoestring budget.

Keep in mind too, as this is a pandemic, if you contract covid, you are not going anywhere. No one is going to let you on flight, or over boarder until you recover (or don't).

If you are going to come, you need to be flexible. That is pretty much what it comes down to.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:21 pm

Does anybody know if an emailed test result would be accepted at the airport upon arrival? Due to the time lag between testing and receiving the results here, followed by the 24 hour travel time between Canada and Chile, the only way to have them not time-out before arrival would be to have the results sent digitally to us enroute.
And to clarify, the Canadian system does not allow for private testing or speeded up test results.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 pm

susiedillon wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:21 pm
Does anybody know if an emailed test result would be accepted at the airport upon arrival? Due to the time lag between testing and receiving the results here, followed by the 24 hour travel time between Canada and Chile, the only way to have them not time-out before arrival would be to have the results sent digitally to us enroute.
And to clarify, the Canadian system does not allow for private testing or speeded up test results.
I am guessing that you are somewhere a bit remote in Canada? Or at least not near major cities/flight paths. 24+ hours to get here (at least to the SCL airport) seems like a lot. Air Canada used to have direct Toronto-Santiago flights.....not sure if they still do. If testing in Canada is really that slow, I would consider getting a bit creative, perhaps you could purchase a flight itinerary that has a very long layover in Miami, and you could go to a walk-in clinic near MIA and pay for a relatively fast test there. I myself returned to Chile last month with no PCR, and just agreed to do a 2 week self quarantine at my home. The only restriction for getting to our house was that we couldn't take public transportation. Is there any way you could, in absence of a test result, simply pay to have a private vehicle take you from the Santiago airport to the VII Region?

To answer your initial question directly, no I don't know, but the health ministry affidavit that you must file is primarily online (you can do a paper version but my airline refused to give me boarding passes and take my luggage without doing the online declaration first) and you just show your phone screen with a code to the health official upon arrival at the Santiago airport.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:31 pm

susiedillon wrote:
the short answer, no.

you need to have an orginal copy in your hand.

how do I know this?

well, this is chile and they probably want to see paper, any paper, more than your test results. chile loves it's beucracy. don't mess with it, or bad things happen.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 pm

That’s funny...and exactly what I feared would be the case from past experience with government tramites. But I hoped against hope. So we will arrive with expired Covid test results that will most probably mean that we will be told to quarantine for 14 days, or at least until we can get a test done in Chile, showing that we tested negative.
I do have another question, if we fill out the online C-19 form and use the address of our home in Region VII, Maule, will we be able to drive there from the airport to start our quarantine or must we find a place in Santiago to quarantine until we can get the test done? I have read different answers to that. In return for all this advice and info, I will document our path back to Chile for other All Chile netizens, paso a paso, once we have successfully navigated this ever-changing set of rules. Thank you everyone who has helped so far! :D

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Sorry, I missed the very helpful responses from Donnybrook and Jamers41. I see light at the end of the tunnel thanks to you all. Flying has never been fun, but now with all the (justifiable) Covid19 precautions it has become so very complicated.

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 pm

susiedillon wrote:
My parents came in and said that they got a digital version of their negative PCR, printed it (could you use a lounge at a layover airport?) and uploaded it to the c19 .cl website as part of their pasaporte sanitario. The immigration agent still asked to see it printed. Since they didn't say "I don't have it printed," I can't fully answer your question other than to say that you should try everything you can think of to get it printed, but a digital report that you print yourself is/was good enough.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:43 am

you want a digital copy, a paper copy, a copy on a stone tablet, two copies in marble, ..... :lol:

Don't give the beucrats anywhere to hide.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:28 am

I'm beginning to see certain signs that Santiago is readying for the influx of tourists.

The homeless camp of tents and mattresses on the side of Terminal Alameda Pullman side that developed in the past months has been mostly cleared and the line and control points have been somewhat simplified.

Realize that the mall in the Terminal Alameda is closed and the two terminals (Turbus and Pullman) are now separated and must be entered from the front and arriving passengers must exit from the rear.

The surrounding area of Estación Central is filled with largely foreigner street vendors and homeless tent cities including in the median strip. Not a recommended area to go wandering around or alojar.

The underground passageway from Metro U de Santiago to Terminal Alameda is also still closed as they want travelers to enter each terminal via a line at street level.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard