Chilean border's to open to tourist, none-residents

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
DLPurser

Re: Chilean border's to open to tourist, none-residents

Post by DLPurser » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:18 pm

My wife told me this morning that Santiago is being shut down again. She is wondering if she'll be able to get permission to pick me up at the airport when I arrive from the US on the 19th. She is driving from Chillan.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:34 pm

DLPurser wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:18 pm
My wife told me this morning that Santiago is being shut down again. She is wondering if she'll be able to get permission to pick me up at the airport when I arrive from the US on the 19th. She is driving from Chillan.
Phase 2 to Phase 2 inter regional travel not within the few valid reasons, absolutely not. You will need to arrange a direct taxi that will satisfy the authorities or risk a quarantine in Santiasco or Chillan unless you do the PCR neg option. Also notice you are not a resident but married to a Chilean so have your marriage certificate and her contact info on hand. Don't know how the direct family without residency thingy works so you better contact the airline to make sure you have the docs to get a boarding pass. And contact the check-in agents at your departure airport or the airport of the US to SCL segment NOT a phone agent.
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:52 pm

family members of chileans are under the same rules as residents and citizens, of a PCR test less than 72 hours old.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

DLPurser

Post by DLPurser » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:34 pm
DLPurser wrote:
Phase 2 to Phase 2 inter regional travel not within the few valid reasons, absolutely not. You will need to arrange a direct taxi that will satisfy the authorities or risk a quarantine in Santiasco or Chillan unless you do the PCR neg option. Also notice you are not a resident but married to a Chilean so have your marriage certificate and her contact info on hand. Don't know how the direct family without residency thingy works so you better contact the airline to make sure you have the docs to get a boarding pass. And contact the check-in agents at your departure airport or the airport of the US to SCL segment NOT a phone agent.
I have our Chilean Marriage certificate, My wife's Chilean birth certificate, and even our Libreta de Matrimonio. I could quarantine in Santiago but would prefer to go to Chillan. My flight is scheduled to depart at 7:44pm on Friday the 18th and the Lab performing my covid test could only give me a result window of 48 to 72 hours. Therefore, I have 2 PCR test appointments. One on the 15th, 3 days from departure and another on the 16th. 2 days from departure just in case. I retired from the airline I'm travelling on and still have friends there. I could probably find out what they are looking for in order to let me board the flight.

However, from what you are telling me, my wife won't be allowed to pick me up from the airport. So I'm wondering what are the tourists going to do when they arrive?

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:27 pm

DLPurser wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
DLPurser wrote:
I have our Chilean Marriage certificate, My wife's Chilean birth certificate, and even our Libreta de Matrimonio. I could quarantine in Santiago but would prefer to go to Chillan. My flight is scheduled to depart at 7:44pm on Friday the 18th and the Lab performing my covid test could only give me a result window of 48 to 72 hours. Therefore, I have 2 PCR test appointments. One on the 15th, 3 days from departure and another on the 16th. 2 days from departure just in case. I retired from the airline I'm travelling on and still have friends there. I could probably find out what they are looking for in order to let me board the flight.

However, from what you are telling me, my wife won't be allowed to pick me up from the airport. So I'm wondering what are the tourists going to do when they arrive?
Basically in places that are in "Phase 2", such as Santiago now, you're not supposed to be doing any interregional or long distance travelling. So from what I understand about your situation, you could come, but I too wonder if you'll have to immediately do a self-quarantine somewhere nearby, or if they will let you leave the region and head south.

DLPurser

Post by DLPurser » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:00 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:27 pm
DLPurser wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
DLPurser wrote:

Basically in places that are in "Phase 2", such as Santiago now, you're not supposed to be doing any interregional or long distance travelling. So from what I understand about your situation, you could come, but I too wonder if you'll have to immediately do a self-quarantine somewhere nearby, or if they will let you leave the region and head south.
So I'm confused here. Starting today non resident foreigners with a negative covid test no longer need to quarantine upon arrival in Chile. They just can't travel anywhere because Santiago is in phase 2?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:12 pm

DLPurser wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:00 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:27 pm
DLPurser wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
DLPurser wrote:

So I'm confused here. Starting today non resident foreigners with a negative covid test no longer need to quarantine upon arrival in Chile. They just can't travel anywhere because Santiago is in phase 2?
Just the neg PCR BUT we are all waiting on the authorities to clarify the onward travel part FOR non-resident foreigners as all current info is in regards to resident foreigners and citizens (and I assume direct family) which states that only for a select set of reasons can they travel inter regionally and it must be within 24 hours.

What a cluster
Que será, será.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:03 am

Timing is everything! We ( both permanent residents) will be arriving in SCL late on Friday having submitted our the Travellers Sworn Statement at the appropriate time and armed with our PCR tests in hand. Following all the rules (!!!) we had planned to drive in a loaner vehicle to our home in Maule within 24 hours of arrival. All according to the rules as laid out 2 days ago! But now we have no idea what to expect at the airport, or if we will be able to travel on a Saturday out of Santiago, or ever ... if we will be stopped along the route because we have a borrowed car that is registered in Santiago, and probably a whole lot of other problems that we haven’t even considered yet. What a mess. Welcome to Chile, well to the airport at least. After that, if we ever get out of SCL I guess we are on our own. Good luck to the eclipse tourists, we have been in Chile since 2006 and we are completely flummoxed. If anyone has any insight into any of these issues, please send us your best advice. And in return I will describe our adventures to the forum when we finally reach home. It may help some other hapless traveller. Or it may just provide some amusement.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:39 am

Yes, real experiences of residents and non-residents detailing situation, time and date and other details no matter how small would be most welcome.
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:09 am

o.k., I am going to give my best guess at what the rules are right now.

again, only a guess.

This assumes you arrive with a NEGATIVE PCR TEST, so you do not quartine for 14 days or try to get a PCR test on arrival.

from the airport to the other regions you should be fine, durring the week. santiago is in a phase 2 quartine, that means total quartine is only on the weekends and holidays.

still, I would not recommend trying to spend the night in Santiago.

If you live or are headed to the the regions you need to provide proof of your destination and / or where you live. Ideally certificate of residency in the town where you live.

get some sort of private transport. taxi, rent a car, have someone pick you up. If you get on public transport like bus, things are likly to get complicated as you will have to run a gauntlet of various checkpoints you will have to explain yourself repeatedly. It just takes one cop or health official, that kinda understands what the rules are, to make your life overly complicated.

If you have an onword airline ticket to the regions you should be fine, as long your destination region is not in quartine phase 1 or 2. If you live there, and you have proof of residency there, you should still be able to travel there.

If you are just a tourist heading to a phase 1 or 2, .....?

keep in mind too, there is still a nation wide curfew at night.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:18 am

From the airport to inter regional via auto, the authorities not only want to know destination but that the transport will get you there without deviation thus that will probably be a taxi or service with the proper permiso for inter regional travel with the authorities noting this data for the record. Remember Paso 2 is Paso 2 and the restrictions on inter regional travel applies even lunes to viernes.
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:54 pm

waiting on more details, but seems the airlines have done a mass cancelation of domestic flights from the regions to santiago or are denying bording when they do fly to people that baught tickets prior to the new restrictions in santago being announced, but did not have one of the permitted reasons to travel to santiago (e.g. medical treatment).