Chilean border's to open to tourist, none-residents

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
DLPurser

Re: Chilean border's to open to tourist, none-residents

Post by DLPurser » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 am

admin wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:31 pm
the short answer, no.

you need to have an orginal copy in your hand.

how do I know this?

well, this is chile and they probably want to see paper, any paper, more than your test results. chile loves it's beucracy. don't mess with it, or bad things happen.
[/quote]

This is so true in so many situations and I have used it to my advantage.

DLPurser

Post by DLPurser » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:24 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm
Here is the thing. We should distinguish between why people are coming to Chile and how long they are staying, in evaluating if they should consider coming at all.

If you are coming to Chile, and expect you are going to pop in for 3 or 4 days, see the eclipse or do some other touristy thing, and then pop out; you need to be prepared for things potentially changing rapidly and needing to stay longer.

On the other hand, if you are coming to Chile to stay a while. For example, lots of people have been waiting for the boarders to open to move to Chile, entering under a tourist visa, then filing for residency. In those cases, the potential hassle / expense of things not going smoothly, is probably worth it. Say you get stuck in quarantine, for a few days while you wait on a new PCR test, because your negative PCR expired by the time you arrived, or you got the wrong type of test (i.e. it must be a PCR, and not one of the rapid test). Basically you have the time. Minor inconvenience, but nothing catastrophic.

Another case, is people that sort of come to Chile seasonally for the summer months, or you are on an extended vacation.

The one I would think carefully about is if you have to say be somewhere else at a certain time (e.g. you got to be back to work on monday), or you are coming on a very limited shoestring budget.

Keep in mind too, as this is a pandemic, if you contract covid, you are not going anywhere. No one is going to let you on flight, or over boarder until you recover (or don't).

If you are going to come, you need to be flexible. That is pretty much what it comes down to.
Excellent perspective and I hope those contemplating travel to Chile take heed. My interest in returning is of a permanent nature.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:42 am

US Embassy in Chile is claiming that after December 7, no quarantine is required (just need the previously listed docs).
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:49 am

This is the best(???) information I have found so far.

https://chile.travel/en/planviajarachil ... yXs03EQ35U

https://chile.gob.cl/chile/recomendacio ... -noviembre (in Spanish)

There was conflicting information regarding the required time for submitting the Travellers Sworn Statement when I first checked it, but it may have been corrected by now. I will continue to post anything that adds to the information on that site.

Looking forward to being back in the southern hemisphere again! Lockdown in the frozen north is not a lot of fun!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 pm

They finally published the requirements.

https://www.diariooficial.interior.gob. ... 852351.pdf

It still states, that anyone from a high risk country with community transmission must complete a 14 day quartine, even if they have a negative PCR test. A QUARTINE AT YOUR EXPENSE.

Now, that is, for lack of better description, a contradictory load of beucratic b.s.

My interpretation is that it is a mistake they are definitely going to have to clarify and republish.

Our position, without further clarification from the government, if you are NOT A RESIDENT, DO NOT COME TO CHILE.

WAIT!!!

let someone else sacrifice thousands of dollars on this half baked experiment, until the government gets this mess sorted out and a few hundred (or thousand) people have gone through successfully without a problem.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:45 pm

oh, and the form you have to fill out is 2 pages long.

a copy can be found at the end of above pdf.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Still no clear answer on what the from a community transmission country policy is after December 7.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:13 am

I am simply taking the position, regardless of what the government says, this is a really stupid idea and the borders should not be open at this time.

Do not come to Chile unless you really HAVE to travel to Chile.

Tourist, stay away. Not the time to visit. catch the eclipse some other time. I hear they tend to repeat. :lol:

Obviously, I don't say this lightly. My entire buisness is premissed on the ability of people to cross international borders.

It will result in death and suffering, and will ultimately damage the Chilean economy.

A negative PCR test means nothing in 72 hours.

WAIT!!!!

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:50 am

I am not sure what makes less sense, the government opening borders to all, or people willing to go on a vacation to another country in the middle of a pandemic.
Traveling for business or to re unite with family I can totally understand, but traveling just for a holiday or to see an eclipse seems a bit strange to me, but hey what do I know. There is indeed another eclipse I hear, Texas in 2024 , probably a lot less chance of it being rained out too.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:44 pm

At this point, this appears to be little more than a massive scam being run by the chilean government to rip-off all the people that prebooked and paid for hotels and other travel services for the eclipse, knowing that something like 80% of the population of the planet will not be able to meet the requirements to enter the country.

There is still no clarity on what happens after the 7th of December, but these requirements do not allow anyone in north america or Europe to enter the country without a 14 day quartine.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Saw this list in EMOL, but have not been able to find it on an official page nor on WHO:
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Internaci ... o-OMS.html

Really, really strange. Russia, Italy, Germany are "low risk", whereas for example Finland and Iceland are high risk? That makes absolutely no sense

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:30 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:08 pm
Saw this list in EMOL, but have not been able to find it on an official page nor on WHO:
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Internaci ... o-OMS.html

Really, really strange. Russia, Italy, Germany are "low risk", whereas for example Finland and Iceland are high risk? That makes absolutely no sense
Seriously wtf, did they throw darts on a map on the wall to get those lists , India ????? Low risk,????yeah this is going to go well. Incompetent f#$ks. I honestly don't believe there is an ulterior motive or conspiracy here, its just Incompetent politicians, always has been.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”