PAY YOUR CAR TAX NOW, or your insurance is void, THE GOVERNMENT SCREWED-UP!!!!!

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Jamers41

Re: PAY YOUR CAR TAX NOW, or your insurance is void, THE GOVERNMENT SCREWED-UP!!!!!

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:49 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:47 am
Most insurance policies have a "burn you" clause (my term), that you must have all your documents up to date on the car on the day you get in an accident. It is a little escape hatch for the insurance companies to have an excuse to not pay.

It is like the legal alcohol limit to drive, although now low in Chile, would still allow most people to say drink a beer at lunch and legally drive. If they got in an accident, the police would test them, they would not be charged with drinking and driving but it would register.

However, most insurance policies have a clause that says if you have any detectable amount of alcohol in your system, the insurance is void. How many people driving around Chile effectively have no insurance, after lunch, or early in the morning because they have a legal amount of alcohol, but a detectable amount that would void their insurance?

Point is. they are private contracts, and they can pretty much include anything they want.
I'm asking out of academic curiosity, not because of any intent to test the limits (I paid both the insurance and the "patente" over 2 weeks ago).

Of course the insurance is a private contract, but since it's legally mandated, isn't this particular insurance policy regulated by law? I have heard that it's supposed to include the same coverage by law regardless of who you buy it from.

I don't drink and drive either by the way :wink:

admin
Site Admin

Re: PAY YOUR CAR TAX NOW, or your insurance is void, THE GOVERNMENT SCREWED-UP!!!!!

Post by admin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:22 am

Coverage yes. Terms of coverage, no.

yea, in theory, the lazy, useless, incompetent, criminals in congress could regulate it; but......
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 am

Anyone know if they' have or will suspend driver's license renewals? got one coming up soon.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:26 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 am
Anyone know if they' have or will suspend driver's license renewals? got one coming up soon.
they were extended.

I have a whole pile of decrees I am going to post about extension / emergency measures under the current state of emergency.

I just got a lot of fires to put out at the moment, exactly because the beucracy is being broken in ways no one ever expected.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.