Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Britkid

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by Britkid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:22 pm

I came through Santiago airport today. I live in Chile but went to UK/Europe for a long trip from December to today. The British Airways flight was 90% full in the cheapest seats, the economy plus was about 10% full. I had a look in business class, don't think there was anyone there. I guess the cheap seats were full as people transferred from other cancelled flights and Chileans that would rather be home in this period.

When I got to the airport, they were mainly focused on separating out people in the RM, that can go home in taxi, and who, such as myself, have to start a 14-day quarantine. They told me to stay apart 1.5m from wife/kids and suggested separate plates and separate bedroom, for instance.

The controls weren't very controlled. I think if someone had wanted to wander out of the airport without speaking to these controls it would have been possible.

People travelling on to regions I heard have to go to a hotel for quarantine before travelling on - can't travel direct to regions. But that's just what I heard.

It's been 14 days since it was announced that these measures would be in place for 15 days, and then reviewed.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 pm

Whats the penalty for walking the dog without permission? And, what do you do if you ask for permission and the authority says no?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Don't know, a news search would tell you the UTM range.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 pm
Whats the penalty for walking the dog without permission? And, what do you do if you ask for permission and the authority says no?
The permit is issued through Comisaria Virtual's website, and it's done automatically after you fill a form. You need to inform where you're coming from and where you're going to, and all permits have a time limit to them. It's the same as in Italy and France: it's a sworn statement that lists why you're going out during the quarantine.

The government is taking this seriously. I passed through an army checkpoint yesterday on the corner of Apoquindo and Manquehue, and they were checking for permits.

Originally there were 7 comunas on full lockdown, but Independencia's lockdown ends tomorrow. This has been all over the news.

Fines can go up to 1000UTM (roughly USD $58,000), and the judge can also include arrest in the penalty. Source: https://www.latercera.com/mundo/noticia ... I7F3CUNKU/
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 am

That's the information I got. I don't think my friend would lie to me. It sounds like hes making it up, but he says every time he has to take his puppy to the grass to go potty he has to ask for and be granted permission. It sounds like something out of a distopian science fiction novel but apparently it's the law.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Where are you?

over half the world's population is under lockdown right now. There is literally over a billion people, in over a 100 countries, under the similar restrictions, and another 3 billion bitching they are not under the same restrictions.

There was actually some guy the other day that requested a permit to go buy drugs (and not at the p harmacy).

he got busted by the police, along with his two drug dealers; but, he had valid permission to be out on the street.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Where are you?
I made it back to the States a week ago. I was expecting a huge hassle in the airports, but there was nothing. Everyone just walked right through. You would think that with a pandemic, the airports would be the #1 line of defense. Very perplexing.

Before then I spent a lot of time in a shack in the middle of nowhere Chile. Isolated from the world, I couldn't believe my eyes once I reached Las Condes. Empty streets, every tienda closed, no traffic (which was awesome). I couldn't imagine the measures getting much worse, but apparently they have.

I'm still allowed to go outside here in the Sates, but it wont be long before the big tough Texans are having to ask for permission to walk their dogs as well. Not that many people are going outside anyway. Everyone I know is scared to death to go anywhere. My mother is too scared to go to the grocery store. Many businesses are closed. Everyone is "working" from home. I hope this is not the new normal, but it's sure looking that way.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:18 pm

I agree that it's a valid debate, otherwise, I wouldn't be participating in it. The issue is that there was an attempt at social distancing in Chile without more restrictive measures. People were ignoring them, people were partying and people were gathering. My understanding is that they extended the need for a permit even to taking a pet for a walk to leave as few options open for abuse.

I wish these measures weren't needed, but the fact stands that people were ignoring less severe restrictions. And I totally understand that most people are being severely affected by these measures, but I think that this is still a preferable alternative to having the healthcare system collapse due to community spread.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:01 am

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:14 am
The Chilean government has announced the closure of all international borders, air sea, and land starting on Wednesday March 18th, for 15 days. They will then reevaluate and extend as needed.

Only Chilean citizens and residents will be allowed to enter, and even those categories will have a 14 day mandatory quarantine at home.
Well, the 15 days are up. I can't find anything in the news about whether this was extended or changed in any way.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:34 am

o.k., guys this whole thread got so far off the subject I had to clean it up and delete all the bs posts, including my own.

And before any of you start bitching about the censorship,

If you don't like the "censorship" on this forum, PLEASE PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

We are under NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE YOU FREEDOM OF SPEECH OF ANY SORT!!!!!

We are under no obligation to provide this forum at all.

We are not the government.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:40 pm

o.k., seems the unconfirmed rumor is that the restrictions on international flights may be lifted soon, as the goverment only renewed the restriction for one more week. There will still be a 14 day quaretine, but it seems they may start letting none-chilean citizens or residents in to Chile.

Additionally, I would also warn that the restriction could be reimplemented at any time, especially if things go badly or Chile is later hit by a second wave.

So, I would suggest to anyone that is super intent on getting in to the country, be prepared to fly on short notice and monitor the news for abrubt changes.

El Ping

Post by El Ping » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:31 am

'o.k., seems the unconfirmed rumor is that the restrictions on international flights may be lifted soon, as the goverment only renewed the restriction for one more week. There will still be a 14 day quaretine, but it seems they may start letting none-chilean citizens or residents in to Chile. '
I didn't think 'unconfirmed rumors' were allowed on this forum............

Meanwhile these seem to be regular flights now https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argenti ... lies.phtml along with the Chilean ones... this could have ongoing consequences for traditional supply chains from the far east to SA through the US..

And also...
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/economy ... -may.phtml