Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:03 pm

DLPurser wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:40 am
admin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 am
o.k., the cliff notes on the decree.

1. Tourist still can NOT enter the country.

2. Temporary and Permanent Residents, Citizens, and immediate family of residents and citizens can now enter the country.

3. A negative pcr test completed within 72 hours of travel is required or you must complete a 14 day quartine on arrival in Chile.

4. The 14 day quartine can be ended with a negative PCR test conducted in the country. so, you arrive, you quartine, taking a PCR test as soon as you arrive. say it takes two or three days to get the results back, then you are free to move around the country. hopefully, you get the results the next day. so one day of quartine.
Pre pandemic my wife and I were making plans to return to Chile. My wife is Chilean and I am American. She has returned to rent a house for us and I am still in the US. Can I now enter Chile based on our marriage? My friends and family in Chile who have read this article don't interpret it that way.
I wonder the same thing (about the exact definition of immediate family)........mostly because I have heard so little in the news about this here.

timjk
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by timjk » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:33 pm

Any chance anyone has heard heads or tails on the temporary visas that had been signed but hadn't been authorized? I was first going to enter the country based on my at the time valid temporary residence visa, but that was in April. Now, I'm in the country assumedly under the tourist visa for now since my temp residence visa lapsed before I could enter the country. I'm talking with the Chilean Consul in the States where the visa was issued, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet (~2 days wait). Does anyone think I'll have to reapply from here in Limache through the tourist visa? Are they even authorizing residence visas yet?

proger
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by proger » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:01 am

im asking the SAME questions

User avatar
DLPurser
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by DLPurser » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:00 am

Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:03 pm
DLPurser wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:40 am
admin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 am
o.k., the cliff notes on the decree.

1. Tourist still can NOT enter the country.

2. Temporary and Permanent Residents, Citizens, and immediate family of residents and citizens can now enter the country.

3. A negative pcr test completed within 72 hours of travel is required or you must complete a 14 day quartine on arrival in Chile.

4. The 14 day quartine can be ended with a negative PCR test conducted in the country. so, you arrive, you quartine, taking a PCR test as soon as you arrive. say it takes two or three days to get the results back, then you are free to move around the country. hopefully, you get the results the next day. so one day of quartine.
Pre pandemic my wife and I were making plans to return to Chile. My wife is Chilean and I am American. She has returned to rent a house for us and I am still in the US. Can I now enter Chile based on our marriage? My friends and family in Chile who have read this article don't interpret it that way.
I wonder the same thing (about the exact definition of immediate family)........mostly because I have heard so little in the news about this here.

Well I think I found my answer. I found a document at the Chile government Paso a Paso website. (I'd post a link but I'm not allowed as per forum rules because I'm new here). Look under Documentos y Protocolos and then Instructivo Ingreso a Chile.

User avatar
RuneTheChookcha
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Valparaíso

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:18 pm

"Gobierno confirma la reapertura de fronteras a turistas y prepara protocolo"

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... colo.shtml
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

BookReader
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by BookReader » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Colombia just reopened also.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 23866
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by admin » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:03 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:18 pm
"Gobierno confirma la reapertura de fronteras a turistas y prepara protocolo"

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... colo.shtml
yea, I was actually holding off publishing anything, until the official decree is released on Monday.

No one get to excited untill this is official.

As with everything in chile, the government has a talent for announcing things that are totally or partially unworkable in practice.

so no one go drop $5,000 on a buisness class ticket to chile yet.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by scandinavian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Any news on this? I still have not seen anything official, but la Tercera seems to think that border will be open to all nationalities as long as you have a negative PCR.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8479
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:08 pm

I've checked bcn.cl keyword "PCR" for the offical decree and nothing yet.

https://www.bcn.cl/leychile/consulta/li ... a=0&fc_tn=
Que será, será.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:37 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:52 pm
Any news on this? I still have not seen anything official, but la Tercera seems to think that border will be open to all nationalities as long as you have a negative PCR.
I watched the Covid press release yesterday and they said they're still working on the details. They didn't mention during their briefing, it was towards the end, when a journalist asked about it.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 23866
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by admin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 pm

yea, they delayed the release.

I suspect that things are progressing so fast around the world they are trying to adjust standards on the fly.

seems the U.K. just implemented new rules for people that have traveled to denmark, due to the covid mink mutation. That includes isolating anyone that has covid and has recently traveled to denmark in a seperate isolation ward from the major covid varieties until a full dna test can be conducted.

U.S. just blew through a steady 120,000 a day, and hospitals are on the verge of collapse. many states are over 50% positivity rate.

we still really have no good idea what is going on in the nieghboring countries.

there is the very real possibility they do not open the boarder to tourist, or it is extremely restricted.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: Chilean Borders To close Wednesday, March 18th

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:17 am

The Chilean borders are to open on November 23, with entry allowed through Airport Arturo Merino in Santiago only. The same healthcare guidelines applied to citizens and residents will be applied to tourists. Namely, you'll need a PCR test result done less than 72 hours before arrival or you'll need to quarantine for 14 days.

Source: https://www.diariooficial.interior.gob. ... 847382.pdf

Obviously, this is brand new information. It is very important to keep an eye out for updates from the government regarding this. Don't make any travel plans unless you're willing to lose all the money you invested in your plane ticket in case things change.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Locked