coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:16 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:56 pm
yea, that was the cruise ship that knew they had sick people on board when they were trying to sell the chilean authorities that everyone was o.k.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200 ... ate=ampart

they were letting 83 year olds board the 7th of March ?
I'm surprised the passenger in the article did not rail against Chile not letting them dock.

The captain and crew also lie to the passengers. During the past moth before COVID19, there were posts on TripAdvisor claiming striking port workers or asshole Chilean authorities were responsible for delays on their cruises which meant skipping scheduled ports of calls when in reality this was completely false as San Antonio port workers had declared no more strikes and the navy out of safety had prevented two cruise ships or more from leaving as scheduled due to rough sea conditions. But is sounds like the crew made it sound like port workers or difficulty in negotiations with port authorities were the cause.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 pm

Today, I had to wait about 30 minutes in line to enter the small local Lider Express. The security guy was measuring everyone's temperature using a non contact forehead thermometer. I asked to show me the model, and it was a "microlife" unit. It was my first temperature measuring experience.

Things change rapidly: the last time, just several days ago, there was no line to wait, no temperature measuring, and the 1,6 Lt mineral water "El Olivo" that I buy there was at 480 peso (today it is at 580) a bottle.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:48 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 pm
the 1,6 Lt mineral water "El Olivo" that I buy there was at 480 peso (today it is at 580) a bottle.
The Lider brand that is, I buy the con gas version to mix with Chilean hooch and it was $480 when I last bought it about two weeks ago. Pity. I have not gone to the hiperLider or other supermarkets since they started the wait in line, limited number entry circus but will have to venture out this week so thanks for the price hike aviso.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:15 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 pm
Today, I had to wait about 30 minutes in line to enter the small local Lider Express. The security guy was measuring everyone's temperature using a non contact forehead thermometer. I asked to show me the model, and it was a "microlife" unit. It was my first temperature measuring experience.

Things change rapidly: the last time, just several days ago, there was no line to wait, no temperature measuring, and the 1,6 Lt mineral water "El Olivo" that I buy there was at 480 peso (today it is at 580) a bottle.
yea, they are little more than security theater. they are notorious for false negative / positives on human skin, and they won't catch those infectious but without symptoms; which pretty much the majority of the cases at this point walking around.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:23 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:26 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm
So this will obviously not directly affect many forumites here, but I noticed that the US just passed its mega stimulus spending bill thing that will supposedly get "checks in the mail" to many Americans.......anybody know if they limited that to US residents or if it includes US citizens regardless of where they live?
They are supposedly working out the details. And it will be based on tax returns but no word yet what happens if the tax return has a non-US/non-US territory address. As expats, expect to get screwed again.
The NY Slime has a FAQ on the stimulus payment:
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronav ... swers.html
March 28, 2020, 6:01 p.m. ET
Will U.S. citizens living abroad get a payment?

Yes, as long as they meet the income requirements and have a Social Security number.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:06 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:23 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Jamers41 wrote:
So this will obviously not directly affect many forumites here, but I noticed that the US just passed its mega stimulus spending bill thing that will supposedly get "checks in the mail" to many Americans.......anybody know if they limited that to US residents or if it includes US citizens regardless of where they live?
They are supposedly working out the details. And it will be based on tax returns but no word yet what happens if the tax return has a non-US/non-US territory address. As expats, expect to get screwed again.

Yes, as long as they meet the income requirements and have a Social Security number.
Well, well, so Uncle Sam is again bribing me to keep giving them my financial data every year? I wonder how many more years that will be beneficial to me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:06 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:23 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Jamers41 wrote:

Well, well, so Uncle Sam is again bribing me to keep giving them my financial data every year? I wonder how many more years that will be beneficial to me.
That is so they can get expats to self-incriminate by making filing errors on their returns.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:14 pm

that is also a campaign gimmick. Trump wants his signature on a the checks.

if he does that, I would watch out to make sure the check does not bounce.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 pm

not sure, but I think by law it has to be the secretary of the treasury that signs.

don't accept a bum check from donald J trump under any circumstances. :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:34 pm

so not even sure where or how to tell this story, but I feel now I need to share this story so people might take this seriously. inspite of my bad attempts at comic relief, bad shit is happening.

my sister, a doctor at a urgent care room in Minnesota, volunteered to go work for the day at a drive through testing facility for first responders, nurses, firefighters, police, EMT, etc.

They were guaranteed that they would be provided with full bio safety gear.

They did not even have N95 masks. just paper type surgical masks.

she says she is not going back there, and none of her coworkers are going back.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:35 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 pm
not sure, but I think by law it has to be the secretary of the treasury that signs.

Well I actually know from experience that a physical US Treasury check is worthless here in Chile. The first time I applied to include my daughter as a dependent (and get the corresponding credit) on my US tax return here a couple years ago was obviously after getting her a SS number, but since I had already filed a return, I had to file an amended tax return. For whatever reason, the IRS only issues physical checks if they owe you a refund from an amended return. So it was sent to my parent's house in the US and it eventually found its way here (US banks wouldn't touch it because my wife's name was also on it).........and there was absolutely nothing I could do with it here. Supposedly AFEX (the exchange houses) used to process them for a fee, and stopped doing that 3 or 4 years ago........but otherwise nobody else here would even look at it either. Direct deposits from the US gov't, on the other hand, don't raise any issues.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:40 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:35 pm
admin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 pm

Well I actually know from experience that a physical US Treasury check is worthless here in Chile. The first time I applied to include my daughter as a dependent (and get the corresponding credit) on my US tax return here a couple years ago was obviously after getting her a SS number, but since I had already filed a return, I had to file an amended tax return. For whatever reason, the IRS only issues physical checks if they owe you a refund from an amended return. So it was sent to my parent's house in the US and it eventually found its way here (US banks wouldn't touch it because my wife's name was also on it).........and there was absolutely nothing I could do with it here. Supposedly AFEX (the exchange houses) used to process them for a fee, and stopped doing that 3 or 4 years ago........but otherwise nobody else here would even look at it either. Direct deposits from the US gov't, on the other hand, don't raise any issues.
The deposit issue is where we need more eyes and ears. If they offer a way to sign up for direct deposit into a US account, WE DEFINTELY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT AND HOW TO SIGNUP FOR SUCH.

- Søren Kierkegaard