coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
gringalais

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by gringalais » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:25 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:07 pm
The frigen Minsal, and the university of chile, plus a pile of other talking heads were representing this as a full phase lll trial.

just more PR bullshit.

My take on this, sinovac vaccine will not kill you, it seems to do something, but untill there is more real data, don't depend on it for protection. Better than not having it, but how much better we have no idea.
And if they meant it to be a phase III trial, wouldn't the way it's being done be unethical? Don't people in clinical trials have to give informed consent? This seems like it is pressuring people into becoming guinea pigs without giving them proper information and receiving their agreement to participate.

In theory I qualify this week, although I keep going back and forth. If I got sick, would I feel like I make a mistake? At the same time my exposure risk is very low. I'll probably get some pushback on that, but it's how I feel. It's kind of a moot point at the moment, my municipality indicated that for today they are only doing second shots due to lack of doses. According to what I read, it's due to lack of "central supply" not a municipal issue. They say to stay tuned for more information about changes to the schedule.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:01 pm

gringalais wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:25 pm
admin wrote:
The frigen Minsal, and the university of chile, plus a pile of other talking heads were representing this as a full phase lll trial.

just more PR bullshit.

My take on this, sinovac vaccine will not kill you, it seems to do something, but untill there is more real data, don't depend on it for protection. Better than not having it, but how much better we have no idea.
And if they meant it to be a phase III trial, wouldn't the way it's being done be unethical? Don't people in clinical trials have to give informed consent? This seems like it is pressuring people into becoming guinea pigs without giving them proper information and receiving their agreement to participate.

In theory I qualify this week, although I keep going back and forth. If I got sick, would I feel like I make a mistake? At the same time my exposure risk is very low. I'll probably get some pushback on that, but it's how I feel. It's kind of a moot point at the moment, my municipality indicated that for today they are only doing second shots due to lack of doses. According to what I read, it's due to lack of "central supply" not a municipal issue. They say to stay tuned for more information about changes to the schedule.
Also in a “real” drug trial half the recipients get a shot of saline........
It's all about the wine.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:19 pm

gringalais wrote:
It's kind of a moot point at the moment, my municipality indicated that for today they are only doing second shots due to lack of doses. According to what I read, it's due to lack of "central supply" not a municipal issue. They say to stay tuned for more information about changes to the schedule.
Do you have any more info on that? Only about 80k dosis administered today. And only 27k first dosis...

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:40 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:19 pm
gringalais wrote:
It's kind of a moot point at the moment, my municipality indicated that for today they are only doing second shots due to lack of doses. According to what I read, it's due to lack of "central supply" not a municipal issue. They say to stay tuned for more information about changes to the schedule.
Do you have any more info on that? Only about 80k dosis administered today. And only 27k first dosis...
Today as in April 6th? Out of curiosity where did you obtain those numbers? I am not necessarily questioning them due to disbelief, it's totally possible, but Emol has a graph of daily shots administered, and their numbers for yesterday (April 5) are higher....

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:41 pm

gringalais wrote:
admin wrote:

just more PR bullshit.

no everyone gave consent, they were all medical workers. which in itself has lots of problems.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 pm

For clarity, it was a trial in all other respects with a placibo, double blind ,etc.

Just all they looked at was the existence of various anti-bodies. Which is sort of a rerun of phase l/II trials investigation, without clinical out comes that are more phase III concerns.

one that caught my attention too was something like 98% of the people were classified as "white".

Chile is definitely not 98% "white", no matter how much some people's grandmother lie to them. That indigenous blood is way more common than the "white" people would like to admit.

Did they really select nearly all white people, or did they just check that box and move on with the study.

because we know O type is much more common in an indiginiuos populations, and O type seems to have some impact on the behavior of the virus.

Just either a very racist study, or very ameture hour selection. niether seems good.

In fact, Chileans are in such denial of there indigenous blood, the only way to be sure would be to run DNA work-ups alongside the other studies.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:54 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:40 pm
scandinavian wrote:
gringalais wrote:
Today as in April 6th? Out of curiosity where did you obtain those numbers? I am not necessarily questioning them due to disbelief, it's totally possible, but Emol has a graph of daily shots administered, and their numbers for yesterday (April 5) are higher....
From the government page, but I now see that it is also supposedly yesterday.

https://www.gob.cl/yomevacuno/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:05 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:54 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:40 pm
scandinavian wrote:
gringalais wrote:
From the government page, but I now see that it is also supposedly yesterday.

https://www.gob.cl/yomevacuno/
don't think those have been updated for today. typically in the morning / early afternoon they have the updates for the day before.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 pm

scandinavian wrote:
gringalais wrote:
It was on the municipal social media accounts, basically the only place I can figure out what is going on in my area. It's what they said. No more information was given about when they are having more availability. That's why you are supposed to check back. My husband said he saw on the morning shows about people being turned away for shots in Maipú and they not too happy about it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 pm

yea, but definitely been dragging along for several days.

the scope of the current people eligible also seems to be limited, but there seems to be a focus on second doses catching-up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:10 pm

gringalais wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 pm
scandinavian wrote:
gringalais wrote:
It was on the municipal social media accounts, basically the only place I can figure out what is going on in my area. It's what they said. No more information was given about when they are having more availability. That's why you are supposed to check back. My husband said he saw on the morning shows about people being turned away for shots in Maipú and they not too happy about it.
muncipalities have been playing some bullshit game recently (election season), where they blaim the government for not having vaccines, but then did not place the vaccine request the day before with minsal for the supply they needed. the municipality are running the local vaccination programs.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:59 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:00 pm
but here is a jewel of headline supposedly derived from that study,
Estudio de efectividad de Sinovac en Chile: Vacunación impidió que número de contagiados entre 75 y 79 años fuera 80% más
That's terrible. Presumably what they're saying, in a deliberately convoluted way (because how could you come up with such a phrase by accident?), is that there was a 44% reduction in transmission (100% - 100% / 180% = 44%). I gather you need at least 60-70% protection to reach herd immunity, so that seems quite some way short, even with the whole population (including children) vaccinated at the same level as the 75-79-year-olds. Which means more variants cropping up, yay :( .