coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:26 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:30 am
Vaccine drive slowing down this week according to the calendar. only 52, 51 and 50 year old to be vaccinated. I thought it might be due to those age groups being disproportionally big, but that is not the case - actually the 53-59 were bigger. Should be about 240-250.000 in each group. If we subtract all the ones already vaccinated in those groups + the antivax crowd, then my guess would be something like 150K / day. So why only 1 group per day and why using Thursday and Friday for the ones who didn't go yet?
Only explanation I can find is due to supply... unless we see some big deliveries this week from China, then I will start to worry
almost everyone I know that has had their first shot, including myself, is up for their second shot in like the next 7 days or so.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm

"Either that or over there's a study showing that COVID cause male impotency."

Oh, tiagoabner, that's too funny. Belongs in the virus humor thread.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 pm

Rhodolite wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm

I was only half joking. If there was some sort of clearly established long-term health issue for a large enough subgroup of COVID survivors, it would be taken more seriously. Yes, there are pulmonary scars and a whole cornucopia of other issues, but there aren't conclusive studies yet showing how much people will have these long-term effects.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:29 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 pm
Rhodolite wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm

I was only half joking. If there was some sort of clearly established long-term health issue for a large enough subgroup of COVID survivors, it would be taken more seriously. Yes, there are pulmonary scars and a whole cornucopia of other issues, but there aren't conclusive studies yet showing how much people will have these long-term effects.
I remember a epidemiologist last year saying something to the effect, "the reason covid is so bad is because it is not horrifying enophe".

It is not a hemoragic fever. It us not like polio where children are walking around with metal braces on their legs, or people are confined to iron lungs, etc.

The horrifying stuff is happening in isolation wards of hospitals, out of sight and out if mind.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm

https://www.biobiochile.cl/

has added a vaccination tractor to their front page that is nice and simple,
Screenshot_20210405-170755_Brave.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:30 pm

checking the neighborhood. In short everyone is on fire, everywhere, pretty much from the artic circle to the antartic (although seems the chilean antarctic base has been 100% vaccinated now).

both peru and argentina have reported new record deaths in the last day. In peru they say brazilian varient is everywhere in the country. I have hard time believing Argentina does not have it circulating.

Peru, Ecuador, and Bolovia are all going ahead with their elections next week.

Chile looks like they will aprove postponing the election, but congress is cutting it close.

Brazil? Not even sure what to say about that.

I am convinced, whenever this ends, a lot of governments in latin america are in going to be in real trouble, and more than a few are way to weak to survive.

Well, at least Chile got a headstart on the neighbors and a plan of sorts.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:42 pm

What a clusterfuck. My plan tomorrow was to send the nieto's winter clothing to Santiasco before he outgrows them and now I can't or I lie on the declaration jurada that must be filled out and signed.

Mal, mal, mal...

Completing six weeks alone in the local quarantine. It is becoming obvios why they did not restrict copete purchases...
Que será, será.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:15 pm

If one submits an inquiry on the ChileAtiende site, asking them whether or not the gob.cl document stating "4 weeks max." is true, what their response would be. Obviously, going into the 5th week.
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:05 am

admin wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:29 pm
I remember a epidemiologist last year saying something to the effect, "the reason covid is so bad is because it is not horrifying enophe".

It is not a hemoragic fever. It us not like polio where children are walking around with metal braces on their legs, or people are confined to iron lungs, etc.

The horrifying stuff is happening in isolation wards of hospitals, out of sight and out if mind.
This is the problem. Because of the isolation necessary, not even friends and family have to witness the results of infection on someone they know. It is an almost invisible threat. Only those who have lost a loved one realise the danger.

I don't know anyone who has been infected but I have no doubt about the danger of this virus and follow the rules and am very cautious. At the beginning of the pandemic governments didn't want to panic people but maybe that was the worst decision of all. If anything deserves a bit of panic, Covid is that thing.

On my permitted walk yesterday afternoon I came across 6 other people. Four had their masks around their chins like a false beard, ready to pull up - only they didn't. I spent most of the walk crossing and recrossing streets to get away from them. I know I am very lucky. I can order online and I don't have to go out to work. I don't have small children to homeschool. I have a small garden. But so many people are not even doing the basics available to all.

When they interviewed a few of those in the long queue (no social distancing) at the terminal pesquero before Easter about why they were there, they got answers like: " we always buy here for Easter", "I like to buy in person", "it was a good excuse to get out for a while". People will take unnecessary risks if they don't give full weight to the risk.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:42 pm
What a clusterfuck. My plan tomorrow was to send the nieto's winter clothing to Santiasco before he outgrows them and now I can't or I lie on the declaration jurada that must be filled out and signed.

Mal, mal, mal...

Completing six weeks alone in the local quarantine. It is becoming obvios why they did not restrict copete purchases...
There would be a riot if they started to restrict alcohol sales at this point. 6 weeks of isolation sounds rough. So far we're going on 17 days. I have my husband here, though, which is normally a positive. The togetherness gets to be a bit much at times, though.

Sorry to hear about the nieto's clothes, EEUU. I was lucky with avoiding the new restrictions. Our youngest dog has very short fur and is always cold when the temperatures start to fall. She and the other younger dog love to play rough, so all her fleeces from last year were ripped up and the couple I used to buy them from by the Líder are no longer around. I placed an order for 5 last week at a site that had some cheap ones, so they were shipped on Friday and they arrived today. She doesn't get the fancy 10,000 peso dog clothes since nothing lasts long.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:56 pm

gringalais wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 pm
There would be a riot if they started to restrict alcohol sales at this point...
"...En San Antonio, los botilleros afirman que han estado cerrados desde el comienzo de la pandemia y que las fiscalizaciones se tornan cada día más estrictas..."

Source: 'Botillerías de Valparaíso muestran su preocupación ante cambio en definición de "bienes esenciales" '
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ales.shtml
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm

Yeah, I heard about that. Online alcohol sales are permitted, supermarkets can sell it, but many places are restricting the small botillerías from operating. :roll: