coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
gringalais

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by gringalais » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 pm

@papageno for the moment, "Sinovac es lo que hay."

papageno

Post by papageno » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 pm

Well, that's what I expected. Thanks

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm

I had it in August no idea where I picked it up, I’m over 60.

Day 1-3 bed and bathroom
Day 3-6 bed shower sofa
Tested on day 5 at drive in site in Vancouver, positive result 7 days later.
Day 6-16 lots of Netflix, bored stiff

Symptoms: fever, no sense of smell, I mean really none, odd muscle issues, not aches but would wake me up if I moved and very specific pec and biceps then hamstrings, it didn’t get into my lungs no cough or congestion. The worst was the lethargy the first few days of bed and bathroom was because that’s all I could do as I got better a shower was added, after quarantine walking 2 blocks was the limit, that progressed quickly to long walks and I appear to have no long term effects.

Retested day 24 negative, blood sample 6 months later show active antibodies, will have the Pfizer vaccine in April.

I have never been sick, colds yes but nothing that has keep me in bed past 9am besides the rare hangover.....
It's all about the wine.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 pm

papageno wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm

the government's press release from a month ago said Sinovac would be for people up to the age of 59.
I don't think that's true. Feel free to share the press release if you can find it and we can double check.

Just from memory I saw that the government has (or will have) a lot of Sinovac, mostly coming sooner, and it has a lot of another, I think Pfizer, but most of those are coming later on. And then there are some others in smaller numbers.

It looks like the early vaccinations, including all retirees, with be mostly or all Sinovac, and the later ones may be a mix, possibly with a large Pfizer share. That's just from memory of something I read weeks ago.

Here is a good article: https://theconversation.com/how-chile-b ... ace-154614
Chile's journalism quality is a bit average I think. The breaking news, on-the-spot and what happened today they are good at, and the bias is not as bad as the US. But the investigative, reflective reporting is sadly missing. Sometimes I find better articles in English (e.g. above).

Thanks for all the other useful info everyone posted. The India case is interesting. It does seem that possibly the poor countries haven't been the total shit show and awful tragedy that was expected? If they are, I'm not hearing about it. Not sure if that's herd immunity or because it's not as cold in most poor countries.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:58 pm

Just had another thought. A bit speculative. At the moment, it seems to be pretty cold winter this year in the northern hemisphere. All winter there have been stories of unexpected snows from Spain to the UK to Israel to Texas and Japan and others. So there the vaccine is fighting against ideal conditions for the virus. It may have stopped a huge explosion of case numbers. As soon as the weather turns, we could see numbers of infections crashing - i.e. high vaccination levels occurring at the same time the temperature go up. Let's hope so.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 pm

Britkid wrote:
papageno wrote:
the government's press release from a month ago said Sinovac would be for people up to the age of 59.
I don't think that's true. Feel free to share the press release if you can find it and we can double check.

Las primeras dosis de la vacuna de Sinovac llegaron esta mañana al país.
28 de Enero de 2021

Hoy llegaron al país y ya la próxima semana comenzarán a ser inoculadas. Se trata de la vacuna de la farmacéutica china Sinovac que fue autorizada por el ISP el pasado 20 de enero para mayores de 18 años hasta 59 años, y que ayer el Ministerio de Salud dio luz verde para quienes tienen más de 60 años.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... virus.html

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:31 am

Papageno`s statement that "Sinovac would be for people up to the age of 59" implies that it is not for 60+, however the article says it was also approved for 60+ (after initially being approved for less). So I think that was the confusion.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:00 am

Britkid wrote:
Papageno`s statement that "Sinovac would be for people up to the age of 59" implies that it is not for 60+, however the article says it was also approved for 60+ (after initially being approved for less). So I think that was the confusion.
Actually Papageno's statement is correct. It had been approved for up to 59, as recommended by the pharmaceutical, but there was a political decision to approve it for those over 60, I would not call that an *approval*.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:15 am

Britkid wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:58 pm
Just had another thought. A bit speculative. At the moment, it seems to be pretty cold winter this year in the northern hemisphere. All winter there have been stories of unexpected snows from Spain to the UK to Israel to Texas and Japan and others. So there the vaccine is fighting against ideal conditions for the virus. It may have stopped a huge explosion of case numbers. As soon as the weather turns, we could see numbers of infections crashing - i.e. high vaccination levels occurring at the same time the temperature go up. Let's hope so.
I am quite optimistic, but I think that is too speculative. Only country that has vaccinated enough people to close in on herd immunity is Israel. UAE is an outlier in every respect so I don't think that they can be used to speculate.
US and UK have still only vaccinated in pretty low numbers and of course for the most vulnerable part of the population. I do think that death rates might start to be impacted, but case numbers? My guess would be that the population that now has been vaccinated, was the most careful group in terms of sticking to themselves over the last year.
Anyway - My eyes are on Israel. And then on Chile, because if the Sinovac works as expected, then I think Piñera deserves some serious praise. Chile is right now the 5th country in the world in terms of 1st dosis vaccinations (behind the 4 mentioned above) - That is in my opinion wildly impressive. 18-60 year olds will start getting the vaccine in April!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:44 am

Chile has passed 25% of the population vaccinated.

My thinking on sinovac right now is wait. Most people don't qualify for another month anyway.

If you have to have it (i.e. your risk of covid outstretches your risk of sinovac), then continue to act like you are not vaccinated at all.

At the earliest possible opertunity, get a better vaccine with solid science behind it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:49 am

I am actually running my own little trials on sinovac for the family.

I have a friend, 80 years old, fairly good health, that has gotten the first dose. She seems to be o.k. so far.

I have another friend, who's father has diabetes and renal failure, nearly exact same medical conditions as my mother in law. He got his first dose several weeks ago and seems to be fine.

Waiting for them to report in on the second dose, as often the nasty side effects show-up with administration of the second dose as the immune system reacts.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:03 am

admin wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:44 am
Chile has passed 25% of the population vaccinated.

My thinking on sinovac right now is wait. Most people don't qualify for another month anyway.

If you have to have it (i.e. your risk of covid outstretches your risk of sinovac), then continue to act like you are not vaccinated at all.

At the earliest possible opertunity, get a better vaccine with solid science behind it.
Yeah. I am taking the wait and see approach. I'm healthy, not at risk due to age, normal weight, etc. I work from home. I am going to stick with "autocuidado" for now and see how the vaccine rollout goes.

It's actually kind of weird. In my 30s, I used to come down with bronchitis or sinusitis every so often, but in my 40s, I almost never got sick, maybe a mild cold every other year and I never get a flu shot.

My husband felt sort of crappy a few days after the vaccine. I am not sure if it was related. His arm was sore for about 3 days. I haven't heard from my teacher friend that got vaccinated this week. I'll have to ask her how she feels.