coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
fraggle092

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Am I the only forumite to have actually been infected? Happened early January - I think. Two days of aches and chills, a sore throat, coughing, hoarseness and a week of feeling shitty. Wife got it as well,as did the BIL who "cured" it in Chilean fashion by swallowing antibiotics :)
In view of the local COVID hysteria, kept quiet about it, and isolated.
In happier, more sensible times it would have been classified as a Summer Cold.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:15 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 pm
Am I the only forumite to have actually been infected? Happened early January - I think. Two days of aches and chills, a sore throat, coughing, hoarseness and a week of feeling shitty. Wife got it as well,as did the BIL who "cured" it in Chilean fashion by swallowing antibiotics :)
hlf2888 claimed she may have had it.
Que será, será.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Hope this link from the American Association for the Advancement of Science is allowed.

This is a long read but interesting about the manufacture of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and why it takes so long. "Myths of Vaccine Manufacturing".

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/a ... InYUCtRfH4

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:19 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:15 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 pm
hlf2888 claimed she may have had it.
eeuu I SAID I might have had it, I didn't "claim" I may have had it. I am not a politician lol

fraggle, thanks for sharing your experience...following is my experience... and following that is a link to the video where I could not talk without coughing, that video was recorded in the first week of my "viral respiratory infection experience". (I included it for eeuu, to substantiate my "claim")

I got really sick in Chile in December. And I had visited the Chinese discount store and the owner had recently returned from China. Started with a sore throat and ear ache, quickly spread to my lungs. Doc said it was a respiratory virus, no treatment. I got worse. Doc said I had developed a secondary lung infection, gave me prednisone and antibiotics. I still got worse. I used to walk down to the river every day but I was so weak I could barely cross the room. I thought I was going to die. Ten weeks after the onset I was lying in bed one night, my body wracked by coughing spells. I accepted the reality that I was probably going to die and was not afraid. I was only worried about who would look after my Mom and the animals. The next day I started getting better. It was almost as if Death wanted me to acknowledge its presence and then left.

https://vimeo.com/379138231

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:29 am

hlf2888,

No offense ever meant. The virus is real and perhaps a problem for those who are compromised immune-wise. And PCR tests are questionable. Coronoviruses have existed from the beginning of mankind and will not be going away. Thus a central part of government research which of course opens the door for certain theories, mistakes or intentional, and/or never let a crisis go to waste.

Me, I'll let the the enthusiastic go first for a vaccine that is not a normal vaccine because it is not proven to prevent the infection, or the spread, or previously tested on non-humans, and based on novel gene therapy technology. The only claim is that symptoms will be less if you do get infected.
Que será, será.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:15 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:29 am
The virus is real and perhaps a problem for those who are compromised immune-wise.
I am 53 years old and have never missed a bi-weekly feria here in Valpo, thoroughly used all of my 3-hour permits twice a week (during the 4-month quarantine period), from the hill where I live I walk down to the city but to return home I often take a crowded micro, I wear a hand-sewn bandanna when outside (usually on my neck), but to enter a shop I use it normally -- to cover my face. If anything is (was) present in the air -- I was surely exposed to it. I believe that the immune system should be allowed to perform its function -- to protect. I also believe that it would be almost impossible to avoid such exposure for anyone, regardless of their efforts to self-isolate. The dose could vary, though.
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:36 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
hlf2888,

No offense ever meant. The virus is real and perhaps a problem for those who are compromised immune-wise. And PCR tests are questionable. Coronoviruses have existed from the beginning of mankind and will not be going away. Thus a central part of government research which of course opens the door for certain theories, mistakes or intentional, and/or never let a crisis go to waste.

Me, I'll let the the enthusiastic go first for a vaccine that is not a normal vaccine because it is not proven to prevent the infection, or the spread, or previously tested on non-humans, and based on novel gene therapy technology. The only claim is that symptoms will be less if you do get infected.
Thank you eeuu, guess I can remove my video evidence :wink: I agree with you on letting the enthusiastic go first for the first 10 years. I remember the devastation of thalidomide, and knowing none of these drug corporations can be sued if people die en masse two years or ten years later does not give me the confidence to want the vaccine. There is an interesting vaccine being produced in Quebec, Canada, plant based from the nicotine family that is showing promising results. As a biophilic life form I would take the plant based. Curiously studies have shown fewer deaths in smokers when one would think there would be more. That said, i am not going to be a guinea pig with any RNA based vaccines..

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 am

According to the scientific evidence, it is very likely that taking a vaccine will have a net benefit for you as an individual. There are benefits, there are harms, and the benefits outweight the harms, therefore it's a good idea to take it I think. History has shown over and over again that a majority of scientists and doctors are usually right, not always, but at least more than 50/50. So I'll trust them.

Since the biggest remaining risk of getting COVID is possibly in the next few months, taking it several months later will likely reduce the overall benefits considerably. Waiting three months does give you more data and confidence to rely on the vaccine, but probably not enough I think to counteract the risk of waiting for several months.

I just wonder if one of the reasons people don't take vaccines is because getting killed or made sick by the government just seems so much worse thatn getting killed or made sick by nature, and therefore in effect they are willing to assume a higher death rate for themselves and others for that reason?

Anyway, everyone is free to do what they want, that's just my 2 cents.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:15 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
The virus is real and perhaps a problem for those who are compromised immune-wise.
I am 53 years old and have never missed a bi-weekly feria here in Valpo, thoroughly used all of my 3-hour permits twice a week (during the 4-month quarantine period), from the hill where I live I walk down to the city but to return home I often take a crowded micro, I wear a hand-sewn bandanna when outside (usually on my neck), but to enter a shop I use it normally -- to cover my face. If anything is (was) present in the air -- I was surely exposed to it. I believe that the immune system should be allowed to perform its function -- to protect. I also believe that it would be almost impossible to avoid such exposure for anyone, regardless of their efforts to self-isolate. The dose could vary, though.
Same here, not to mention I have been in contact with wife and also stepdaughters, grandkids as they have traveled periodically between Independencia and Llolleo throughout the nearly 1 year state of emergency. I know they have had contact with other cold and flu viruses perhaps even Rona but I have not come down with anything serious yet and do focus on keeping the immune system strong via diet, supplements, etc. I reuse a N95 mask and always position it so that the chin beard allows air access with the appearance of serous compliance :wink:
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Without revealing any identifying information, we have had lots of clients with covid, with family members that have died of covid, and a lot of them read the forum but often dont post or register.

We for instance had three calls in a row, on one sunday morning, from various clients that had covid, family members had covid, or a family member had just died of covid.

They were pretty spread around the world, not just Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:50 pm

oh, the other thing that is picking-up is calls from people that had family members that died, and are just starting to figure out what they need to do for the probate and settling the estate in Chile.

That often has a delay. we often have family members that contact us a year or two after someone dies to deal with their assets in Chile. so the full extent of how many died of covid is still not clear, and may not be clear for years.

I have had more than a few conversation recently related to probate cases that just really sound like they were covid related deaths. I generally don't ask how people died, because it really is not relevant to what we do; but, their family will often volunteer sufficient info that we can read between the lines. There seems to be of bit of reluctance on the part of families to say it os covid. possibly they suspect it is related, but don't know for sure. Also a few that are just in denial about it. Again, we never dig in to that unless it has some relevance to the case (e.g. the death certificate is not clear).

I am afraid however that might be a major growth segment for us in the coming years, as right now I would guess we are handling about 200% more probate cases than we typically would have prepandemic. That could be a statistical accident, but I don't think so.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

papageno

Post by papageno » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 am
According to the scientific evidence, it is very likely that taking a vaccine will have a net benefit for you as an individual. There are benefits, there are harms, and the benefits outweight the harms, therefore it's a good idea to take it I think. History has shown over and over again that a majority of scientists and doctors are usually right, not always, but at least more than 50/50. So I'll trust them.

Since the biggest remaining risk of getting COVID is possibly in the next few months, taking it several months later will likely reduce the overall benefits considerably. Waiting three months does give you more data and confidence to rely on the vaccine, but probably not enough I think to counteract the risk of waiting for several months.

I just wonder if one of the reasons people don't take vaccines is because getting killed or made sick by the government just seems so much worse thatn getting killed or made sick by nature, and therefore in effect they are willing to assume a higher death rate for themselves and others for that reason?

Anyway, everyone is free to do what they want, that's just my 2 cents.
So, yesterday in Puerto Varas, my partner and I received the Sinovac version (dose #1). I'm 64, she's 67, and the government's press release from a month ago said Sinovac would be for people up to the age of 59. Did something change officially, or is that the only version now available? No side effects to speak of so far, other than tiredness after the shot.