coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
41southchile

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:07 am

ghibli wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:15 pm
Parts of my area look like summer already. You would never guess there's a virus or a quarantine. The full time locals seem to observe the mask rules but... so OK I understand no one wants to be stuck in Santiago, but do they need to be so rude? No, you're not better than me if your auto
is more expensive. Just another cerote. I'm planning on sheltering in place for the whole week...
Yeah you can pick a Santiago Chilean a mile off, impatient, always looking for what they can get out of a transaction and trying to wrangle something, did I mention impatient? superiority complex, full of self importance, not all of them of course, but about 63 percent of ones I have met, in my experience.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:44 pm

Hey 41 thanks for that ---63 percent. Very funny. I'll try to keep it in mind next time a woewoe cuts me off. Cheers.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:07 am
ghibli wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:15 pm
Parts of my area look like summer already. You would never guess there's a virus or a quarantine. The full time locals seem to observe the mask rules but... so OK I understand no one wants to be stuck in Santiago, but do they need to be so rude? No, you're not better than me if your auto
is more expensive. Just another cerote. I'm planning on sheltering in place for the whole week...
Yeah you can pick a Santiago Chilean a mile off, impatient, always looking for what they can get out of a transaction and trying to wrangle something, did I mention impatient? superiority complex, full of self importance, not all of them of course, but about 63 percent of ones I have met, in my experience.
I would call it about 63.6%

There is actually a vaccine against many of them: dirt roads.

A large portion of them seem to have an incredible phobia about driving on dirt roads. Even, at least what I would consider, an excellent dirt road. I have seen people from Santiago freak out in the most bizarre ways about needing to travel even a short distance on a dirt road. Like they were going to break a leg, never be found, and have to resort to cannibalism to survive, if they drive off the pavement. They will dig in their heals like a horse that just spotted a snake, and simply refuse to follow.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gregf

Post by gregf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks for the update. We are staying in the RM. I'll keep my eye on things, I guess, until then!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:07 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 pm
[
A large portion of them seem to have an incredible phobia about driving on dirt roads.
They must be related to the drivers round here that won't drive when it raining.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:43 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:07 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 pm
[
A large portion of them seem to have an incredible phobia about driving on dirt roads.
They must be related to the drivers round here that won't drive when it raining.
That is a good thing. most of them can't drive when it is raining. year after year, first rain in Santiago, and there is a pile of rear end collisions. probably mostly a failure to grasp that where there is not regular rain, the oils in the road get particularly slick after the first rain. well, that and their insistence on tailgating every car they see. :lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:36 pm

o.k., to get kind of get back to this thread subject,

so what I suspected in Argentina is coming to pass. They are running out of capacity in the ICU beds, and more importantly staff, in spite of the government pushing the "don't worry" number of 60% of beds available doctors are warning of a complete national collapse of the health care system:

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argenti ... isis.phtml

Argentina had over 12,000 cases yesterday, and is over 10,000 deaths now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:50 pm

so I was actually looking for an english version of another article, but this is helpful too:

https://www.king5.com/amp/article/news/ ... fdce84e570

we are quickly confirming that are a few very specific conditions that have to happen for the majority of covid to spread.

There was a study by the WHO that determined that 80% of all covid spread occurs in an enclosed space.

well, add to that the study above where they determined around 80% of all people that contract covid will not infect someone else. It is actually super spreader events. One person, at the peak of their period where they are most contagious shedding of the virus (about a 2 day window) in close proximity, typically in an enclosed space.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:08 pm

It seems that 2-3 day window is also the point where antibody and even PCR tests probably will not detect the virus. The person will be still asymptomatic in most cases. Less than 40% of people with covid ever even develop a fever.

The toy thermometer checks are pointless. The sanitary barriers are pointless. Even catching someone at one that has tested positive and should be quaratining for 14 days is pointless. by then there is a PCR test, and the potential to be super spreader probably over. Definitely spraying crap all over the place is pointless, especially outdoors.

Basically all the measures being taken are worthless, besides the masks and staying away from enclosed spaces with lots of people.

Fresh air and 🌞

It also means though that opening schools, restaurants, etc is a bad, bad idea. Using public transportation, in almost every form, is even worse idea.

When this is over, we are probably going to find out the world waisted trillions of dollars doing the wrong things.

I think the northern hemisphere is in for a very very hard winter as everyone starts moving in doors. Remember, the earliest dates of the start of this pandemic in china, look to have been around September / October of 2019. The start of winter.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:14 pm

It really does seem that the world has wasted trillions of dollars and boatloads of anguish doing the wrong thing. Examples - although controversial to some - the hydroxychloroquine/zinc/vita D is very helpful early on after exposure and as a prophylatic. This is clearly proven in the countries which used it, as opposed to those who didn't. And, dexamethasone, a common cheap steroid widely used for decades is very helpful for people who have progressed to the stage where their autoimmune system is clogging up their lungs, i.e. the peeps in ICU. How many unnecessary deaths there? Plus, I am recently reading - Lancet I believe, that in fact most of the tests a.) do not distinguish between covid-19 and others coronavs; b.) do not distinguish between live and dead viral fragments; and c.) do not test for viral load at all. Thus a "positive" could come from someone who long ago had one of the several coronaviruses. Note: HCQ/zinc/vita D is really helpful against flu. Quercetin, found in tea and red wine, can easily and effectively be substituted for HCQ. NO I am not a MD. Do your own reading. It may have a familiar ring: Hot tea with lemon and honey, zinc, vita D.

I am not at all saying that the disease not is dangerous especially for people with other health issues. I am saying that the chaos in treatment which favors big pharma - the us .gov has awarded $Billions to big pharma for nonexistent "vaccines" and repudiates simple support treatments with decades of use is doing much more harm than good. As admin says: masks, open air, distancing, small groups, stay healthy.

It's difficult to stay un-cynical about the whole thing, as I watch the "privileged" idiots sneak out of Santiago and most everyone else stay locked down. Example: my friend/maestro hasn't been able to work for over three months due to cordon sanataria, but the peeps down the block just pulled in from Santiago with a construction crew in four pickups... One woman got out of her auto and sprayed the bottom of her feet.... go figure. Is that the nadir?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:12 am

o.k., this a new one.

Of all the ways we might find out that a country is failing to accurately report deaths (excess death counts, bodies in the streets, mobile crematories, mass graves, etc); Mexico has run out of death certificates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ovid-cases

Think they might have some excess deaths to account for.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:18 am

the new minister of health in peru, has said that asymptomatic people are not contagious and thus do not need to be tested.

:roll:

bolivia has hit 120,000 official cases, but only around 600 new cases today. Probably pretty safe to say they should be closer to 500,000 to 600,000, then multiply that by 10 to 20 times to get some sort of ball park guestimate.

I get the increasing sense, as stupid as the response has been around the world to this point, we are entering a new phase of the pandemic where political desperation is more dangerous than the actual virus.