coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
alextrombone

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by alextrombone » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Quarantine means absolutely f*** all to a lot of people here. A lot of them seem to just go about their business as usual. My sister-in-law was supposedly in quarantine in Santiago and she somehow ended up in Osorno visiting my in-laws (me and my wife went mental, as my mother-in-law has respiratory issues). It’s so easy to get a salvoconducto.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:53 pm

oddly, running out of gas in the south, plus no trucks crossing the country for 7 days, probably did more to put a crimp in the covid spread than all the quartines / sanitary barriers.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:41 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:47 pm
Read: very strict cordon sanitarias and similar measures by rude SEREMI de SALUD employees backed up by dudes with guns
Prohibición de traslado interregional y a segunda vivienda:

Finalmente, el plan considera la instalación de nuevos cordones sanitarios para las regiones de Valparaíso y Metropolitana, el Gran Concepción, así como Temuco y Padre Las Casas.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... emia.shtml

"Fondéate en tu Casa"
perdimonocle-19

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Honestly, kind of relieved to be relieved of the obligation to run around to all the friends and relatives asados around the 18th.

Just going to stay home with the family. Possibly invite a friend or two that I know I am certain they have been in strict self-imposed quarantine.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:55 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pm
Honestly, kind of relieved to be relieved of the obligation to run around to all the friends and relatives asados around the 18th.

Just going to stay home with the family. Possibly invite a friend or two that I know I am certain they have been in strict self-imposed quarantine.
Lol, yeah me too. I wonder what percentage of the population thinks that way though? and are going to just act like a normal 18, minus the fondas of course, how many will try tripping off round the regions and countryside to visit friends and relatives?
When they had school "vacations" in July, Puerto Varas was busy with Santiago tourists .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:57 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:41 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Read: very strict cordon sanitarias and similar measures by rude SEREMI de SALUD employees backed up by dudes with guns

Finalmente, el plan considera la instalación de nuevos cordones sanitarios para las regiones de Valparaíso y Metropolitana, el Gran Concepción, así como Temuco y Padre Las Casas.

"Fondéate en tu Casa"
:lol:
Anyone want to wager on how well this will go? Lots rules and haphazardly enforced, and/or very little respect for them, sums up Chile , really.
Anyone want to also wager when mass protests start up again? my bet end of September preparing for the 12 month anniversary in October.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:58 pm

alextrombone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:29 pm
Quarantine means absolutely f*** all to a lot of people here. A lot of them seem to just go about their business as usual. My sister-in-law was supposedly in quarantine in Santiago and she somehow ended up in Osorno visiting my in-laws (me and my wife went mental, as my mother-in-law has respiratory issues). It’s so easy to get a salvoconducto.
Yes you are right of course, I've witnessed similar things.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:03 pm

41southchile wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:57 pm
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:41 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:

"Fondéate en tu Casa"
:lol:
Anyone want to wager on how well this will go? Lots rules and haphazardly enforced, and/or very little respect for them, sums up Chile , really.
Anyone want to also wager when mass protests start up again? my bet end of September preparing for the 12 month anniversary in October.
Yea, I would say somewhere between 30 and 40% of "second homes" in frutillar are occupied right now. many of my friends in town with summer rentals, have rented long-term to santiago people. Between the time they lifted the quarantine in Santiago and the time they imposed the sanitary barriers in frutillar, a lot of people slipped in to town with their Mercedes, Porsche, etc.

Difference this time, a lot of these people seem like they are staying. Real estate is on fire. Seasonal rentals have gone long-term.

Typically August in Frutillar is a ghost town. Not any more.

I will be curious to see how many stick around after this settles down, but I suspect the quarantine was the last straw for many. They are not interested in riding out another quarantine in Santiago, nor do they want to be anywhere near the central region protests during elections; and, probably two years of conflict to come, if they rewrite the constitution.

It also makes me wonder how many people on the right will be voting. Seems they are voting with their feet.

That de-urbanization trend seems to be happening all over the world. I was seeing articles on moving companies in new york maxed out like never before. Anyone with the money to do it is leaving the cities.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Parts of my area look like summer already. You would never guess there's a virus or a quarantine. The full time locals seem to observe the mask rules but... so OK I understand no one wants to be stuck in Santiago, but do they need to be so rude? No, you're not better than me if your auto
is more expensive. Just another cerote. I'm planning on sheltering in place for the whole week...

gregf

Post by gregf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am

We are returning to Chile in December. We have been away almost 2 years. We have our residency etc but I am trying to get a clearer picture of what quarantine restrictions may be in place when we arrive. We have family to stay with, but I was unsure if they were forcing -4 day hotel quarantines and if we should plan for such an expense? Does anyone have up to date insight into what is happening?

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:58 am

Things change day to day and week to week, December is a million years away.
Most people, myself included, have been very wrong many times about where we will be in another month, right from the start of this.

14 day hotel quarantines......

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 am

gregf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am
We are returning to Chile in December. We have been away almost 2 years. We have our residency etc but I am trying to get a clearer picture of what quarantine restrictions may be in place when we arrive. We have family to stay with, but I was unsure if they were forcing -4 day hotel quarantines and if we should plan for such an expense? Does anyone have up to date insight into what is happening?
If your final destination is outside of the Metropolitan region then they send you to a 14 day quarantine at a hotel, free of charge to you. From what I have heard they are pretty nice hotels too. That is how it was when I came back in April so things may be different now.