coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
User avatar
drunken days
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm
Location: Home Planet

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by drunken days » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:31 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:18 pm
yesterday, when Putin announced they had a vaccine, my first thought was 'hell, no. not touching that crap'.

Then somewhere I seen the russians admit it was a rip off on the Oxford vaccine.

Then I thought about it a bit. That is actually encouraging. The FSB is not going to rip-off a crap vaccine.

still, going to wait and see if Putin's daughter grows two heads first. :alien: :mrgreen:
A report from Moscow's Gamaleya Institute (where the vaccine was developed) is being discussed by a number of national (russian) and a few international media.

***

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... cientists/

"Side effects included swelling, hyperthermia, lethargy, headaches, itching at the vaccination site, decreased appetite, diarrhea and cold-like symptoms. Over the course of the trials, 144 adverse events were recorded, more than 30 of which were ongoing."

"Thirty-eight volunteers [only -- DD] took part in the trials over 42 days."



***

Google Translate from: www . fontanka.ru/2020/08/11/69416050/ {a St. Petersburg newspaper}

“The protective caption is currently unknown. The duration of the protection is unknown. No clinical studies have been conducted to study the epidemiological effectiveness,” the report says.

"When administering the solution to the patient, doctors need to keep anti-shock equipment close at hand."


***

Google Translate from: echo . msk.ru/programs/figure/2690951-echo/ {Radio Echo Moscow}

{ an interview with Anatoly Altstein, virologist, professor, employee of the Gamaleya Research Center of Epidemiology and Microbiology, Doctor of Medical Sciences -- DD }

"Radio: Anatoly Davidovich, Vladimir Putin, when he announced the state registration of the vaccine, he said that his daughter had already done it. Feels fine. And the president himself did not (although he clearly had the opportunity). Would you, as a specialist, virologist, advise the president to vaccinate or advise not to do it yet?

A.Altstein: Each person must decide for himself. I wouldn't insist.

Radio: I will sum up the voting results. You know, the majority, the overwhelming majority, 90% of our listeners who voted on the phone, said they would not agree yet. Do you condemn this decision or not?

A.Altstein: No, I do not blame this decision..."


***

Both the radio interview, and the newspaper article above feature a good number of other interesting details, unknown and unannounced to general public by official russian media, nor by federal tv channels.
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

~ Eclipse, by Pink Floyd, from the "Dark Side of the Moon"

User avatar
drunken days
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm
Location: Home Planet

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by drunken days » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:15 pm

41southchile wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:47 am
...
Oxford seems the most advanced in the vaccine race so far aren't they?
"Other systemic adverse reactions were common in the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 group: muscle ache 60% participants, malaise 61%, chills 56%, feeling feverish 51%. 18% participants reported a temperature of at least 38°C, and 2% (eight patients) had a temperature of at least 39°C."

Source: thelancet, "Open Access", Published July 20, 2020, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 4/fulltext

"Safety and immunogenicity of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2: a preliminary report of a phase 1/2, single-blind, randomised controlled trial"

***

These above noted short-lasted things are not really important, however, but what will happen years later -- is critical.

So, what is the most advanced -- is the corporate legal department, as "AstraZeneca has been granted protection from future product liability claims related to its COVID-19 vaccine hopeful by most of the countries with which it has struck supply agreements"

"This is a unique situation where we as a company simply cannot take the risk if in four years the vaccine is showing side effects," Ruud Dobber, a member of Astra's senior executive team, told Reuters.


https://www.reuters.com/article/us-astr ... SKCN24V2EN
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

~ Eclipse, by Pink Floyd, from the "Dark Side of the Moon"

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:53 pm

The Health Ministry reported 303 Covid-19 deaths in the past 24 hours, a record that was double the prior day’s tally. It’s quickly climbing in the ranks among the deadliest outbreaks over the past week on a per capita basis. In the past seven days, Argentina reported 22.5 deaths per million people compared with 28.1 in Brazil and 23.4 in the United States, the world’s biggest hot spots. Total deaths have now surpassed 5,000 since the pandemic began.

Worse still, concerns are mounting that real case and death tallies may actually be much higher. The number of coronavirus tests coming back positive has been hovering around 40 percent for the past week, similar levels to Mexico where testing levels have been deemed insufficient. The World Health Organisation recommends that countries aim for five percent or less for 14 days straight before reopening economies.
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argenti ... orse.phtml
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Ministerio de Salud de la Nación confirmó esta mañana 66 nuevas muertes por coronavirus en el país , cifra que eleva el total a 5428. Asimismo, el subsecretario de Estrategias Sanitarias, Alejandro Costa, anunció que los contagios en el país en la fecha de ayer fueron 7498 y ascendieron a un total de 276.072 casos.
https://www.lanacion.com.ar/sociedad/co ... 421152/amp

what is striking is how fast the numbers in argentina have risen in the last week or two, and that 40% positive rate is an indicator they were not testing enough, and still are not testing enough. the number of deaths just confirms that, on top of coming out of a lock down which should require at least 4 to 6 weeks for the numbers to ramp-up as people start circulating. Instead they came out of lockdown and the numbers took off.

notice, they are still playing hide and go seek with things like total tests numbers and other statistics needed to put in context any of the data in the press.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:56 pm

so peru is over 25,000 deaths bringing their case fatality rate to 5.05% after the government added 3658 deaths. they are over 500,000 cases now.

https://peru21.pe/lima/coronavirus-en-p ... utType=amp

there are still rumblings in the media that the deaths are over 50,000.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
drunken days
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm
Location: Home Planet

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by drunken days » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:12 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:02 pm
well, on the vaccine front I am also keeping a close watch on old fashion dead viruse vaccines that are in trials, as I am not convinced this is the best time to reinvent the wheel.

Oxford had like a 10 year jump on the research as they were hunting for a "assembly line" method to develop new vaccines. As I understand it, they had dozens of tests of different vaccines for various viruses using this method in the lab and at least one that was aproved and in production. so, so far so good.

I guess my issue is like when people spend thousands of dollars installing "smart houses" AI technology, only to find out a simple light switch works better.
Seeking a "simple light switch", if I were you -- I would go the Chinese Sinovac way (elected to do the phase 3 here in Chile already).

"Unlike CanSino and Moderna, which are both using newer, less proven vaccine technologies, Sinovac's candidate is an inactivated vaccine, meaning a live virus is grown in cells and then chemically rendered ineffective. "

Having spent tons of time on the U.S. National Library of Medicine website and the Clinical Trials database, this is the most close thingy to your "simple light switch" (irrespective of being Chinese). Immortal folks are [ or "were" :) ] also Chinese, as you probably know.
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

~ Eclipse, by Pink Floyd, from the "Dark Side of the Moon"

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3124
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by nwdiver » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:22 am

drunken days wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:12 pm
admin wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:02 pm
well, on the vaccine front I am also keeping a close watch on old fashion dead viruse vaccines that are in trials, as I am not convinced this is the best time to reinvent the wheel.

Oxford had like a 10 year jump on the research as they were hunting for a "assembly line" method to develop new vaccines. As I understand it, they had dozens of tests of different vaccines for various viruses using this method in the lab and at least one that was aproved and in production. so, so far so good.

I guess my issue is like when people spend thousands of dollars installing "smart houses" AI technology, only to find out a simple light switch works better.
Seeking a "simple light switch", if I were you -- I would go the Chinese Sinovac way (elected to do the phase 3 here in Chile already).

"Unlike CanSino and Moderna, which are both using newer, less proven vaccine technologies, Sinovac's candidate is an inactivated vaccine, meaning a live virus is grown in cells and then chemically rendered ineffective. "

Having spent tons of time on the U.S. National Library of Medicine website and the Clinical Trials database, this is the most close thingy to your "simple light switch" (irrespective of being Chinese). Immortal folks are [ or "were" :) ] also Chinese, as you probably know.


Something is going on with the CanSino vaccine, I don’t think it is strictly Canada China relations that have put back the stage II tests that where to take place in Canada, they won’t supply the vaccine to the trail group, this vaccine has a major Canadian component, the National Research Council of Canada was working with CanSino on an Ebola vaccine and that’s where this vaccine comes from, something it wrong........
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
drunken days
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm
Location: Home Planet

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by drunken days » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:17 am

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:22 am
Something is going on with the CanSino vaccine...
Both Sinovac and CanSino are Chinese firms, yet the CanSino's creature is based on an adenovirus called Ad5 (like the russian one), while the Sinovac's CoronaVac is advertised as the most "natural" of all known to me (if one can speak of anything "natural" here). So for the admin, who is seeking anything more "old-fashioned", this later one looks more or less reasonable.

https://www.t13.cl/noticia/nacional/uc- ... d-19-chile

As for me personally, if this is not mandatory, I can't care less -- may people inject anything that pleases them. Their business, their choice.
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

~ Eclipse, by Pink Floyd, from the "Dark Side of the Moon"

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:38 am

drunken days wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:17 am
nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:22 am
Something is going on with the CanSino vaccine...
Both Sinovac and CanSino are Chinese firms, yet the CanSino's creature is based on an adenovirus called Ad5 (like the russian one), while the Sinovac's CoronaVac is advertised as the most "natural" of all known to me (if one can speak of anything "natural" here). So for the admin, who is seeking anything more "old-fashioned", this later one looks more or less reasonable.

https://www.t13.cl/noticia/nacional/uc- ... d-19-chile

As for me personally, if this is not mandatory, I can't care less -- may people inject anything that pleases them. Their business, their choice.
As I said earlier, I won't buy egg-rolls made in China because the food chain is so contaminated. I am sure as he'll not taking a Chinese vaccine.

I have seen first hand when working at a research University in china, the shit way they conduct "research" (it really is not even that).

They use to test Chinese traditional medicines on animals, leave the animals to die when done, in pain, mutilated, and just beyond description. they would cut them, break their legs, and other incredible physical injuries to them and just walk away.

The data they gathered did not matter, did not mean anything was, was not scientifically controlled, and the government would declare it effective and approved for human use. they were just doing monkey see, monkey do research so the government could claim they studied it as they were pushing the prestige of chinese traditional medicine at the time to the world.

yea, not touching that crap.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1964
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:22 am

admin wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:09 pm
Ministerio de Salud de la Nación confirmó esta mañana 66 nuevas muertes por coronavirus en el país , cifra que eleva el total a 5428. Asimismo, el subsecretario de Estrategias Sanitarias, Alejandro Costa, anunció que los contagios en el país en la fecha de ayer fueron 7498 y ascendieron a un total de 276.072 casos.
https://www.lanacion.com.ar/sociedad/co ... 421152/amp

what is striking is how fast the numbers in argentina have risen in the last week or two, and that 40% positive rate is an indicator they were not testing enough, and still are not testing enough. the number of deaths just confirms that, on top of coming out of a lock down which should require at least 4 to 6 weeks for the numbers to ramp-up as people start circulating. Instead they came out of lockdown and the numbers took off.

notice, they are still playing hide and go seek with things like total tests numbers and other statistics needed to put in context any of the data in the press.
Where are the Argentina defenders and Chile bashers now? :roll:
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:57 pm

ahh, cut argentina some slack.

the united states seems to be #1 for bullshit numbers.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/14/heal ... index.html

It was just a little too much of accident that as soon as the White house ordered all the data to go through HHS and not the CDC, the numbers magically started dropping in the united States.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:00 pm

went in to frutillar today, and everything is open including restaurants with people inside. people everywhere.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply