coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
drunken days

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by drunken days » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Hugo Gutiérrez refuses to be controlled in a pandemic: "I am more authority, I control you!"

Gutiérrez questions the officials for doing his identity and permission control, assuring that it cannot be controlled by them since he is "more authority."

Look, you can't control me. Because I control you, I am more of an authority, do you understand me?"

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... sted.shtml

Does it belong to the "Virus Humor" topic?
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

~ Eclipse, by Pink Floyd, from the "Dark Side of the Moon"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm

so, just happened to catch the press conference.

Government report today:

2,036 positive, 373,056 total cases

17,153 active cases

66 deaths, 10,077 deaths

28,460 tests conducted in last 24 hours

national 8% positive rate, 7% in RM
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm

drunken days wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm
Hugo Gutiérrez refuses to be controlled in a pandemic: "I am more authority, I control you!"

Gutiérrez questions the officials for doing his identity and permission control, assuring that it cannot be controlled by them since he is "more authority."

Look, you can't control me. Because I control you, I am more of an authority, do you understand me?"

It would if they shot him.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:04 pm

drunken days wrote:
With all the shit that has and will be going down in the next months, I'm not laughing.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:16 pm

drunken days wrote:

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

P.S yes he belongs in the humor thread.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Kdburns

Post by Kdburns » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi, I’m flying LAN Miami to Puerto Montt next week (I have residency). Is there a mandatory 14 quarantine in Santiago before being permitted to fly/travel to the regions. I had heard early in the pandemic the the government was putting all arriving passengers in a hotel for 14 days In Santiago before letting them connect on to the regions. Neither Lantam or the Chilean embassy had information on this. Any insight?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Kdburns wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm
Hi, I’m flying LAN Miami to Puerto Montt next week (I have residency). Is there a mandatory 14 quarantine in Santiago before being permitted to fly/travel to the regions. I had heard early in the pandemic the the government was putting all arriving passengers in a hotel for 14 days In Santiago before letting them connect on to the regions. Neither Lantam or the Chilean embassy had information on this. Any insight?
they are still doing it. 14 day quarantine. ask them when they screen you for covid.

FYI, puerto montt is in quarterine.

Kdburns

Post by Kdburns » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:56 pm
Kdburns wrote:
they are still doing it. 14 day quarantine. ask them when they screen you for covid.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to say How it’s strange that info isn’t well known. But it isn’t strange at all... thanks again

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:50 pm

Kdburns wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 pm
admin wrote:
Kdburns wrote:

Thanks for the info. I wanted to say How it’s strange that info isn’t well known. But it isn’t strange at all... thanks again
yea, chile has a major international PR and English communication problem about everything.

as big a headache as this forum is to run at times, I remind myself when I think about pulling the plug there is still not much out there in English about Chile.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 pm

:evil:
Kdburns wrote:
admin wrote:
Kdburns wrote:

Do they care that much anymore? Wouldn't just self isolation be enough? I mean if its here anyway?
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Kdburns

Post by Kdburns » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:00 am

41southchile wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 pm
:evil:
Kdburns wrote:
admin wrote:
Kdburns wrote:

Do they care that much anymore? Wouldn't just self isolation be enough? I mean if its here anyway?
I think once a policy is enacted they are very slow to change it. Example: mid July I arrived to MIA via SCL but the Covid form only asked if I had been in Europe or Asia even though south America was now the hot spot and the USA was banned from going to Europe! Also LAN canceled their NY route (days before my departure forcing me to buy new tickets to Miami at double the cost, but that’s another story) and is maintaining its Miami route. Forcing its crew to overnight in Miami. I doubt the crew quarantines for 14 days before serving you dinner on the next flight.

A few notes from my travel experience from PMC to NY LaGuardia. At PMC I waited in line 1 hour for Covid screening before clearing security. However in SCL no preflight Covid screening, it was standard passport control security. IN Miami they took my temp that’s it. NY had a self quarantine policy for anyone from Florida and a bunch of other states. However it didn’t apply to any international arrivals nor to layovers of less then 24 hours in Miami. The ny quarantine seemed largely on the honor system as no one stops you to ask an questions, you fill out a forM about where you were traveling from (honor system) and drop it in a box by the airport exit (also honor system).

I will be curious to see how the 14 day quarantine in a hotel in Santiago goes. Is it the honor system or more systematic? Because if it’s mandatory and enforced, it seems crazy LAN nor the Chilean embassy has any idea you can’t make the connecting flight to PMC that they sell you. Including when I asked directly. I will report my experience at the end of the month. (Ps: the actual flights were great, no middle seats were occupied. With a reduced food service, one dinner option, pasta. Served with a bottle of water, no cup. SCL food court was fully closed mid July).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 am

suppose to be more systematic, and they register you in the national database. so if you did skip out, and got stopped at a checkpoint, there are fines and they can send you back to quartine.

I had a client a few months ago stay at one of the sanitary residents. It was one of the high-end hotels in Santiago. He said to us, "please thank the government of chile for me". the hotel was nicer than the one he had originally booked on his own.