coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
hlf2888

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:39 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm
scandinavian wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:38 pm
Today I heard the press conference. The subsecretary requested urgently that people with symptoms do the test and gave that as a cause for the much lower amount of tests realized the last few days. To me, that sounds doubtful.
2 weeks ago Universidad de Chile said that test results are 14 days delayed. So, they have caught up since then?
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... nasa.shtml
Furthermore, it seems that a lot of the public hospitals are refusing to test a lot of people - even people with symptoms.
Lastly, the constant images on national TV of people being tested with the swipe way up in the nose is probably not helping as it looks very uncomfortable.
Don't understand why they are not asking more critical questions about it.
Just checking in here again, you have excellent questions... but the answer is that the daily numbers don't matter much.

Why? No conspiracy theory, it's simple maths:

At the very least, you need to test the close contacts of every confirmed positive case. How many close contacts does each case have? In Chile I don't know, but in Ireland there are 6 close contacts of every positive case, so I'll take that as an estimate. So to have reliable testing data, you need to test at least 7 times the number of positive cases every day. To take today's announcement, 7 x 3649 = 25,543, which is about twice the number actually tested. It's been like that for all of June. So the data is useless.

The only reliable data is the excess death statistic, which was updated by the Financial Times again yesterday: https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f ... 5839e06441. This is taken from Chilean government data of course, they give the link at the bottom of the page. The relevant graphics are:

Chile Covid.png

And because Chile is not Santiago:

Santiago Covid.png

That's the only reliable data out there. I feel sorry for the new health minister, he's been left a very difficult job by his predecessor. I think the quarantine in Santiago has to help at some point, assuming it really gets the mobility down: it's the only measure proven to work since Wuhan in January, but it sure took a lot of useless suffering and death before they finally did it in Santiago.

Anyway, I'm off again. Not going to respond to any trolling by the way (I reported a post but of course there was no response).
Astute observations and information, thanks Frank Pintor and scandinavian

passport

Post by passport » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 am

This month's editorial in US Pharmacist discusses encouraging results with Vitamin D - another piece of the puzzle in the ongoing back and forth between "It's beneficial" and "It doesn't help", but now with strong documentation.

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/vi ... d19-deaths

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am

passport wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 am
This month's editorial in US Pharmacist discusses encouraging results with Vitamin D - another piece of the puzzle in the ongoing back and forth between "It's beneficial" and "It doesn't help", but now with strong documentation.

Yea, I get the medical community knee jerk reaction to caution people about this treatment or that treatment. a lot of things are dangerous if used incorrectly and people can be just stupid (e.g. the idiots that took fish tank hydrochloquine).

But a vitamin? A vitamin that is well documented to be lacking in the global population?

I look at it as, if it actually turns out to work to reduce risk of severe covid, great. If it does not work, well at least I got a vitamin deficiency taken care of, and regardless of medical issues, I figure having a vitamin deficiency can not be a good place to start.

also, It is rainy season in southern chile, so even making a point to get some sun everyday, the amount of time is limited.

FYI, that study out of Indonesia the good doctor covered, showed a 98% of covid patients with vitamin D deficiency died vs. 4% for those that had adequate D levels. That is such a stark statistical diffrence, it is suspicious just because it is almost impossible to find 98% of anything, in any type of study. I would be more suspicious of their findings, except there seems to be plenty of other work going on pointing to the same direction related to covid. That is apart from the years of studies already on the books related to vitamin D.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMFsLFAE5o
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:34 pm

Government Report:

4,648 new cases, 259, 064 total confirmed cases

34,834 active cases

172 new deaths, 4,903 total deaths (as reported to the civil register in the last 24 hour)

300 ventilators

1,751 patients on ventilators, 427 critical

17,446 tests conducted yesterday, 1,025,081 total tests completed, 100 labs, 23,000 test capacity.

Minsal is reporting a drop of 14% in confirmed cases, and a reduction in tests being sought at hospitals and clinics, and they are going to more aggressively test at homes, private doctors offices, and community centers.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am
passport wrote:

Yea, I get the medical community knee jerk reaction to caution people about this treatment or that treatment. a lot of things are dangerous if used incorrectly and people can be just stupid (e.g. the idiots that took fish tank hydrochloquine).

But a vitamin? A vitamin that is well documented to be lacking in the global population?

I look at it as, if it actually turns out to work to reduce risk of severe covid, great. If it does not work, well at least I got a vitamin deficiency taken care of, and regardless of medical issues, I figure having a vitamin deficiency can not be a good place to start.

also, It is rainy season in southern chile, so even making a point to get some sun everyday, the amount of time is limited.

FYI, that study out of Indonesia the good doctor covered, showed a 98% of covid patients with vitamin D deficiency died vs. 4% for those that had adequate D levels. That is such a stark statistical diffrence, it is suspicious just because it is almost impossible to find 98% of anything, in any type of study. I would be more suspicious of their findings, except there seems to be plenty of other work going on pointing to the same direction related to covid. That is apart from the years of studies already on the books related to vitamin D.

Precisely why I chose the 7th region, almost 9 months of pure, unfiltered sunshine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm
admin wrote:
passport wrote:

Precisely why I chose the 7th region, almost 9 months of pure, unfiltered sunshine.
I get fairly good sun exposure everyday in the x region until about july or August, when the rain becomes biblical 24/7 for 40 days and 40 nights every year.

still, our modern society makes it simply impractical for a lot of modern cave dwelling people to get exposure to sun, the way people use to say 100 years ago.

Living out in the country, at the least my dogs will insist I get out and get some sun everyday; but we also have big picture windows that do a great job of catching sun, even if it is hit or miss due to clouds.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:22 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm
hlf2888 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm
admin wrote:
passport wrote:

I get fairly good sun exposure everyday in the x region until about july or August, when the rain becomes biblical 24/7 for 40 days and 40 nights every year.

still, our modern society makes it simply impractical for a lot of modern cave dwelling people to get exposure to sun, the way people use to say 100 years ago.

Living out in the country, at the least my dogs will insist I get out and get some sun everyday; but we also have big picture windows that do a great job of catching sun, even if it is hit or miss due to clouds.
Which is about the same time (in other words starting about now) when here in the RM I actually start to miss the sun, just from about now until August, most of the year I'm tired of it. I doubt when we move it will be much different.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:02 pm

{ edited out by the poster }

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
The only reliable data is the excess death statistic, which was updated by the Financial Times again yesterday: https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f ... 5839e06441. This is taken from Chilean government data of course, they give the link at the bottom of the page.
Interesting article from BBC Mundo on these excess deaths.
They make no attempt to attribute any definite cause for them.:
Algunas de estas muertes corresponden a víctimas de covid-19 no registradas, pero otras son el resultado de la presión sobre los sistemas de salud y otras serie de factores.
Investigación de la BBC ¿cuál es la cifra real de muertos por la pandemia de coronavirus .png
Shows Chile compared to Peru. I would have liked to add the Argentinian statistics as well but they dont exist, or they don't publish them. And they are so inconsistent from country to country that I don't trust them either.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:53 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm
FrankPintor wrote:
The only reliable data is the excess death statistic, which was updated by the Financial Times again yesterday: https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f ... 5839e06441. This is taken from Chilean government data of course, they give the link at the bottom of the page.
Interesting article from BBC Mundo on these excess deaths.
They make no attempt to attribute any definite cause for them.:
Algunas de estas muertes corresponden a víctimas de covid-19 no registradas, pero otras son el resultado de la presión sobre los sistemas de salud y otras serie de factores.
Investigación de la BBC ¿cuál es la cifra real de muertos por la pandemia de coronavirus .png
Shows Chile compared to Peru. I would have liked to add the Argentinian statistics as well but they dont exist, or they don't publish them. And they are so inconsistent from country to country that I don't trust them either.
Yes, you're absolutely correct, it's impossible to attribute a cause, equally it's impossible to ignore the elephant in the room this year, Covid-19. The other causes might even themselves out, fewer traffic and flu deaths against possibly more from pressure on health systems.

I wanted to see statistics for everyone's favourite country too :wink: I wrote to one of the authors of the FT report in mid-May asking if they would add statistics for Argentina and Chile, and maybe it was just coincidence but a week later Chile appeared on the page. Maybe Argentina is just too disorganized or lazy, the latest mortality data published by the ministry of health is from 2017 :roll: . Maybe if more people write to the FT they could dig up the data somewhere.

In the absence of that data you could get a sense of what's by considering the ICU bed occupation, there was a detailed article on that here on Infobae just today.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:36 pm

weekly epidemiological report is out.

https://www.minsal.cl/28-informe-epidem ... -covid-19/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:58 am

Government Report:

4,296 new cases, 263,360 total confirmed cases

34,861 active cases

165 new deaths, 5,068 total deaths (as reported to the civil register in the last 24 hour)

305 ventilators

18,249 tests conducted, 1,043,330 total tests completed

The health minister today says they are reinforcing the health programs such as prenatal, hypertension, HIV, vaccination prevention programs.