coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by tiagoabner » Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 am

admin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 am
so, seems that france has identified possibly two covid-19 cases in paris back in mid November, prior to there being a test or even the full ID in China of what was going around. they found two patient's chest x-rays that are consistent with covid.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/new- ... o-n1207871

need a lot more details on those cases. That at least points to in the wild cases in China in October.
I'm getting heavy "where did AIDS came from" vibes from what's going on. Every time we look, we see cases going farther and farther back.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by tiagoabner » Mon May 18, 2020 11:21 am

More info on how the Oxford team was able to get to a vaccine candidate so fast:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... -pneumonia

They were doing research on MERS, and they were lucky that their funding wasn't cut. They had some hypothesis on a possible mechanism for a MERS vaccine and they thought "eh, let's give it a shot". Since both viruses are similar enough, due to MERS also being a coronavirus, their prototype worked on monkeys. They then did a test run on 500 people and they're currently doing another round of tests on 5000 people.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21537
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am

so, got a story.

friend of ours lives in pretty upscale neighborhood of Santiago. She has a housekeeper, that they have been paying, but she has not come in to work for a couple months now.

two weeks ago, her and her husband had an argument about bringing the maid back on a part-time basis to clean the house. She won the argument at the time, and they did not bring the maid back.

Today she talked to her maid on the phone. The maid's whole family has covid. husband, four kids, her, and possibly everyone she knows.

point is, to illustrate just how widespread it is in the poorer parts of Santiago now.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by 41southchile » Mon May 18, 2020 11:43 am

admin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am
so, got a story.

friend of ours lives in pretty upscale neighborhood of Santiago. She has a housekeeper, that they have been paying, but she has not come in to work for a couple months now.

two weeks ago, her and her husband had an argument about bringing the maid back on a part-time basis to clean the house. She won the argument at the time, and they did not bring the maid back.

Today she talked to her maid on the phone. The maid's whole family has covid. husband, four kids, her, and possibly everyone she knows.

point is, to illustrate just how widespread it is in the poorer parts of Santiago now.
Yeah the wives generally win those arguments and it turns out they were right all along. Had the same argument about bringing the maid back, the wiife won, our maid didnt come back and hasn't got covid but I've learnt about more above cooking and housework :lol: and how much automation helps these days. Bad (or good depending on your view) , for long term prospects of maids in Chile. Increased technology , people getting used to doing shit themselves and contracted specialized domestic services will increase more and more just like they did in other countries last century.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21537
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Government report:

2,278 new cases, 46,059 total confirmed cases

20,165 considered recovered

28 new deaths, 478 total deaths

807 in icu, 116 critical

526 ventilators available

17,515 tests conducted in the last 24 hours, 381,011 total tests conducted.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8127
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 18, 2020 1:24 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 am
I'm getting heavy "where did AIDS came from" vibes from what's going on. Every time we look, we see cases going farther and farther back.
Remember from the two first identified strains, Type A and B, type A, the precursor, was prevalent in the US and Australia whereas type B, the first mutant, was the China strain. I hope history will not be covered up when all is said and done.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21537
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:43 am
admin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am
so, got a story.

friend of ours lives in pretty upscale neighborhood of Santiago. She has a housekeeper, that they have been paying, but she has not come in to work for a couple months now.

two weeks ago, her and her husband had an argument about bringing the maid back on a part-time basis to clean the house. She won the argument at the time, and they did not bring the maid back.

Today she talked to her maid on the phone. The maid's whole family has covid. husband, four kids, her, and possibly everyone she knows.

point is, to illustrate just how widespread it is in the poorer parts of Santiago now.
Yeah the wives generally win those arguments and it turns out they were right all along. Had the same argument about bringing the maid back, the wiife won, our maid didnt come back and hasn't got covid but I've learnt about more above cooking and housework :lol: and how much automation helps these days. Bad (or good depending on your view) , for long term prospects of maids in Chile. Increased technology , people getting used to doing shit themselves and contracted specialized domestic services will increase more and more just like they did in other countries last century.
yea, we have not really made a decision about what to do about our housekeeper. For the moment we are just paying her to stay home. Don't want to fire her, the pandemic was not her fault; on the other hand she is in her late 50's, and has a big family, most live in osorno. We simply can not risk it, with the health of my mother in law.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

PXYC
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by PXYC » Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 am

Are you guys paying full salary to your nanas? We've paid full salary in the first month, but we are now paying half salary for our nana to stay home.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by 41southchile » Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 am

PXYC wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 am
Are you guys paying full salary to your nanas? We've paid full salary in the first month, but we are now paying half salary for our nana to stay home.
Ours was only casual/part time , 3 days a week. Paid her the first couple of weeks , not paying her anything now, and she is not actually available now either because her kids are not in school, her husband works on the farm where they live so she has to look after her kids during the day now.
We have reduced extra casual labor in other areas too, that we had been using, and are only sticking with our original 2 guys that have been here for a few years, we have enough to do to keep them employed .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21537
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 am

41southchile wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 am
PXYC wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 am
Are you guys paying full salary to your nanas? We've paid full salary in the first month, but we are now paying half salary for our nana to stay home.
Ours was only casual/part time , 3 days a week. Paid her the first couple of weeks , not paying her anything now, and she is not actually available now either because her kids are not in school, her husband works on the farm where they live so she has to look after her kids during the day now.
We have reduced extra casual labor in other areas too, that we had been using, and are only sticking with our original 2 guys that have been here for a few years, we have enough to do to keep them employed .
yea ours was a part-time 3 day a week thing too. we are still paying her full, part-time salary. she never wanted more than just a part-time gig, so she could take care of her family.

for the moment we have not had to cut anyone loose, but will see where this all goes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by tiagoabner » Tue May 19, 2020 8:45 am

admin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 am
41southchile wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 am
PXYC wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 am
Are you guys paying full salary to your nanas? We've paid full salary in the first month, but we are now paying half salary for our nana to stay home.
Ours was only casual/part time , 3 days a week. Paid her the first couple of weeks , not paying her anything now, and she is not actually available now either because her kids are not in school, her husband works on the farm where they live so she has to look after her kids during the day now.
We have reduced extra casual labor in other areas too, that we had been using, and are only sticking with our original 2 guys that have been here for a few years, we have enough to do to keep them employed .
yea ours was a part-time 3 day a week thing too. we are still paying her full, part-time salary. she never wanted more than just a part-time gig, so she could take care of her family.

for the moment we have not had to cut anyone loose, but will see where this all goes.
Are you still getting a comparable volume of work after this all started? I mean, I assume that there aren't that many people moving in, other than tourists that were left stranded here when the border closure kicked in. But I think that the may be a larger number of requests for remote service, like through a power of attorney.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21537
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:45 am
admin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 am
41southchile wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 am
PXYC wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 am
Are you guys paying full salary to your nanas? We've paid full salary in the first month, but we are now paying half salary for our nana to stay home.
Ours was only casual/part time , 3 days a week. Paid her the first couple of weeks , not paying her anything now, and she is not actually available now either because her kids are not in school, her husband works on the farm where they live so she has to look after her kids during the day now.
We have reduced extra casual labor in other areas too, that we had been using, and are only sticking with our original 2 guys that have been here for a few years, we have enough to do to keep them employed .
yea ours was a part-time 3 day a week thing too. we are still paying her full, part-time salary. she never wanted more than just a part-time gig, so she could take care of her family.

for the moment we have not had to cut anyone loose, but will see where this all goes.
Are you still getting a comparable volume of work after this all started? I mean, I assume that there aren't that many people moving in, other than tourists that were left stranded here when the border closure kicked in. But I think that the may be a larger number of requests for remote service, like through a power of attorney.
suprisingly, quite a bit.

Turns out the pandemic has broken the beucracy both in Chile and all over the World in ways that no one could have ever imagined. Which creates a demand for creative solutions, to formerly ho hum beucratic problems.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply