coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by frozen-north » Sun May 02, 2021 4:16 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
when was it more effective, at 14 or 28 days?
The issue of 14 days or 28 days is from an original study published in November 2020, and because of the design of the study that part is unclear:
...the trial design means we cannot assess whether this finding is a function of the regimen or of the timing of testing.
I wonder if anyone REALLY knows what they are doing and why.
Considering how the different governments have changed what they say, I would say that politicians and government officials are just saying whatever is politically convenient at that moment. Probably next week more provinces will announce that they will also start vaccinating children.

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by frozen-north » Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 pm

for31 wrote:
Well, that's another story. The point is - while the study could be well off in absolute terms, intrinsically their numbers within the scope of the research should be comparable (again, hopefully. It could be quite a bold assumption too). Which means having a longer interval between the doses is indeed beneficial ;)
I believe that admin's reply was in regards to the post by 'chilly' about the U of Chile *study*:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17404&start=3552#p209496

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 23903
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 pm
for31 wrote:
Well, that's another story. The point is - while the study could be well off in absolute terms, intrinsically their numbers within the scope of the research should be comparable (again, hopefully. It could be quite a bold assumption too). Which means having a longer interval between the doses is indeed beneficial ;)
I believe that admin's reply was in regards to the post by 'chilly' about the U of Chile *study*:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17404&start=3552#p209496
Nope, I was referring to both (all+), because none of them are "studies" just bullshit press releases (being generous here). I get better "data" from "press releases" when some company is about to screw me out of my stock investment in them by going bankrupt.

Here is a study:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... g5298.full

Not related to sinovac, but compare that to the bullshit both those "studies" the universities and government are putting out and claiming are "studies", or that "study" in the lancet from china (or any of those studies out of china about sinovac).

I might have my bones to pick about the study above's methods, data, conclusions, etc; but, I can clearly determine what they were and the reason behind them. I can reconstruct it on my own, and how they got there, then give it a thumbs up or thumbs down, along with clearly stating where they went off the rails.

I can not even start to guess at how the hell those "press releases" got where they got.

But here is the bottom line: over 1 year after the start of studies on sinovac, over one year since the first person got a shot, no one should be "suggesting" anything. They should KNOW with a fair degree of certainty, if it works or not. No one, anywhere, has done a full phase III trial.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

We use to call "suggesting" in Philosophy a scientific "weasel word".

Just like I can "believe" there is unicorn in my front yard, I could also "suggest" there is a unicorn in my front yard. I am signaling my doubt in my assertion.

Just in this case, that doubt has some very serious consequences.

Still does not mean there is a unicorn in my front yard; but, hey, don't hold it against me because I just "suggested" there was a unicorn in my front yard.

Not my problem, if you stick half a billion people with a unicorn.

At this point, the best "suggestion" I got about sinovac is my own little study, but we all know that is obvious scientific bullshit, if for no other reason than I am part of the study group. So far all I got is two out of three "weones" with confirmed antibodies, of some sort, on a bullshit antibody test made in china, that is probably a little flaky to say the least.

That is the terrifying thing. So far, my crap little study, is at least reproducible by most anybody on the planet. Hopefully, one or all of my friends do not have to die to get some sort of conclusive proof about sinovac.

Well that is the good news about my crappy little study.

The bad news, all you people that did not take sinovac are my control. :shock: :lol: Think about what that means?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
RuneTheChookcha
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Valparaíso

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun May 02, 2021 9:27 pm

Your control is so difficult to keep under control. :alien:
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by Jamers41 » Sun May 02, 2021 10:44 pm

chilly wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:05 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 am
tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:06 am
admin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm
appears Argentina had a problem. they received a shipment of covidshield (astrazenica from india), used it all to provide the first shot, now India is not exporting anymore and astrazenica directly says they can not provide shots because of their other production problems leaving like half a milion people without their second shot.

https://www.eldia.com/
Paris in Chile has been criticized a lot for not opening up vaccination for everybody, and saving vaccines for the second doses. However, the logistics chain issues that have been popping up as of late makes it look like their decision wasn't wrong, especially considering that you need a second dose to get a decent level of protection.
Yea, for all the flack they have gotten, we would have around 1 million people fully vaccinated and actually protected, had they tried to give a shot to everyone early on and hope for the best for arrival of supplies to give the second shot.

I just read about a women in Brazil, got her first sinovac shot, and died two weeks later before getting the second one. we have lots of those stories, and plenty of data now that the sinovac is pretty useless with one shot.
Just to post the reference that a single dose in Chile was calculated at 3% effective. Chile administers 93% Sinovac, 7% Pfizer. Unfortunately "pretty useless" is not an exaggeration.

https://www.uchile.cl/noticias/174186/r ... s-en-chile

(translated title)
After 14 days of the second dose
Vaccines against SARS-CoV2 show 56.5 percent effectiveness in preventing infections
A study led by academics from the University of Chile also identified that a single application of the vaccine provides protection against infections of only 3 percent.
According to our word in data, the relative %s are around 85% Sinovac and Pfizer 15% so far.

User avatar
hlf2888
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: seventh region
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by hlf2888 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:09 am

admin wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 pm
frozen-north wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 pm
for31 wrote:
Well, that's another story. The point is - while the study could be well off in absolute terms, intrinsically their numbers within the scope of the research should be comparable (again, hopefully. It could be quite a bold assumption too). Which means having a longer interval between the doses is indeed beneficial ;)
I believe that admin's reply was in regards to the post by 'chilly' about the U of Chile *study*:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17404&start=3552#p209496
Nope, I was referring to both (all+), because none of them are "studies" just bullshit press releases (being generous here). I get better "data" from "press releases" when some company is about to screw me out of my stock investment in them by going bankrupt.

Here is a study:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... g5298.full

Not related to sinovac, but compare that to the bullshit both those "studies" the universities and government are putting out and claiming are "studies", or that "study" in the lancet from china (or any of those studies out of china about sinovac).

I might have my bones to pick about the study above's methods, data, conclusions, etc; but, I can clearly determine what they were and the reason behind them. I can reconstruct it on my own, and how they got there, then give it a thumbs up or thumbs down, along with clearly stating where they went off the rails.

I can not even start to guess at how the hell those "press releases" got where they got.

But here is the bottom line: over 1 year after the start of studies on sinovac, over one year since the first person got a shot, no one should be "suggesting" anything. They should KNOW with a fair degree of certainty, if it works or not. No one, anywhere, has done a full phase III trial.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

We use to call "suggesting" in Philosophy a scientific "weasel word".

Just like I can "believe" there is unicorn in my front yard, I could also "suggest" there is a unicorn in my front yard. I am signaling my doubt in my assertion.

Just in this case, that doubt has some very serious consequences.

Still does not mean there is a unicorn in my front yard; but, hey, don't hold it against me because I just "suggested" there was a unicorn in my front yard.

Not my problem, if you stick half a billion people with a unicorn.

At this point, the best "suggestion" I got about sinovac is my own little study, but we all know that is obvious scientific bullshit, if for no other reason than I am part of the study group. So far all I got is two out of three "weones" with confirmed antibodies, of some sort, on a bullshit antibody test made in china, that is probably a little flaky to say the least.

That is the terrifying thing. So far, my crap little study, is at least reproducible by most anybody on the planet. Hopefully, one or all of my friends do not have to die to get some sort of conclusive proof about sinovac.

Well that is the good news about my crappy little study.

The bad news, all you people that did not take sinovac are my control. :shock: :lol: Think about what that means?
Finally, a believable study... the one in sciencemag.org, not yours :lol:

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 23903
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 am

Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
RuneTheChookcha
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Valparaíso

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 pm

What a shit! Full 8 weeks of paso 1. And going. After last year's 4 full months.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... paso.shtml
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

User avatar
gringalais
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1006
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:09 am
Location: Buin-Paine

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by gringalais » Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 pm

6 weeks and 2 days here, Rune. Last years we hit 132 days before we were finally released.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 23903
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Mon May 03, 2021 3:00 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 pm
What a shit! Full 8 weeks of paso 1. And going. After last year's 4 full months.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... paso.shtml
yea, they lifted osorno out of quartine but not frutillar.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8480
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 03, 2021 3:24 pm

Yeah, 8 weeks plus feels definitely cruel. Funny how the authorities just lifted it for San Antonio though the numbers according to their technocrats did not justify it.

Will finally see the wife this week who has been playing nana and home assistant teacher in Santiasco and will review what restaurants survived to celebrate.
Que será, será.

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by frozen-north » Mon May 03, 2021 3:54 pm

admin wrote:
the global damage is far and wide.

[Google link]
That is actually a CNN article:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/03/health/g ... index.html
vaccine hesitancy in the United States at the time of the poll was significantly lower, at 53%
That 53% mentioned in the article is not the percentage of people that were hesitant, but the proportion of people willing to get the vaccine.

Post Reply