coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
gringalais

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by gringalais » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:52 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:30 pm
admin wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:24 pm
yea, they are going to move much of santiago in to phase two this week, but frutillar no. even though our cases per km density is microscopic compared to all of santiago. there are buildings in santiago probably with more cases than we have.

yet, llanquille and puerto varas, are being moved to phase 3. we are essentially the same frigen population. people are as likely to shop and catch covid in puerto varas, come back to frutillar, then be tested as they are to catch it here in town.

The whole quartine is pure political bullshit. no connection to science at all.

The morons are going to open more schools in Santiago, where the vast majority of a the cases in the country is located, but we are still in quartine?

They are lucky we don't have any of those shitty chinese electric buses down here, because I sure am in the mood to burn a couple right now. :roll:
I don't know if I would call Santiago East (Las Condes and the rest of that crew) "much" of Santiago. I live in Puente Alto (still) and we are under no illusion of moving to phase 2 anytime in the near future.
We are in the RM, although not Santiago and we always seem to be among the last to move forward too, Jamers. I feel your pain. We're forgotten. Maybe we need a mall! :lol:

I agree that the quarantines are BS. Cases never seem to come down as a result of them and they drag on and on. The infrequent times I go out, it sure doesn't feel like we are in lockdown. When I went into town to get vaccinated, we got stuck in traffic and we passed huge lines to get into the banks.

My condominio doesn't seem to have many or any cases. Various times I have seen maps of where the cases are here, none are shown here. We need a Mañalich-style "dynamic quarantine" that doesn't affect where I live.

Congrats EEUU! :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 pm

I am trying to verify this, but if true, is a sign that things might be even worse in India than the western media is reporting.

supposedly a last flight in to Australia, before they banned flights from india, had something like 78 out of 79 passengers test positive on arrival.

That is not that great of distance. no where near sufficient to infect and incubate the virus. Those people would have had to contracted the virus before getting on the plane. what are the chances of near 100% infection rate among a group that size?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:54 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 pm
I am trying to verify this, but if true, is a sign that things might be even worse in India than the western media is reporting.

supposedly a last flight in to Australia, before they banned flights from india, had something like 78 out of 79 passengers test positive on arrival.

That is not that great of distance. no where near sufficient to infect and incubate the virus. Those people would have had to contracted the virus before getting on the plane. what are the chances of near 100% infection rate among a group that size?
There are some more aggressive ("glass half empty" style) models that put the real number of infected people in India since the beginning of the pandemic at over 500 million, with actual deaths over 5 million already. Crematory sites are backed 48+ hours, people are using makeshift crematory installations to burn bodies. Let that sink for a moment.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:36 pm

admin wrote:

There's a similar story for Hong Kong: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nding.html

52 passengers coming from Delhi tested positive on arrival, even though they all had negative tests at the time they left India. Obviously, they were fake tests, but the point is COVID is widespread in India, even among those that could pay for last-minute flights and who, presumably, are wealthier.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:49 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:54 pm
admin wrote:

There are some more aggressive ("glass half empty" style) models that put the real number of infected people in India since the beginning of the pandemic at over 500 million, with actual deaths over 5 million already. Crematory sites are backed 48+ hours, people are using makeshift crematory installations to burn bodies. Let that sink for a moment.
Yea, my morning estimates I was seeing were north of 500 million, and about 1 million dead; but, I would not discount that 5 million number either. There seems to be no good estimates, beyond some population sampling that puts the infection rate at 30x reported numbers; but they are also showing positivity rate north of 30%, with the limited testing that is going on.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:21 pm

I just find it hard to believe there is not an uncontrolled inferno across the entire south asia and the middle east, with India just being the highest profile English speaking country in the region to make the western press.

Bangladesh to Afghanistan and Iran, and then through Iraq, syria, to the Palestinian territories, libya, etc. Just there is very little testing and reporting to be trusted in those countries, for all the typical reasons. Like Afghanistan has reported something like 2,000 cases, total, since the pandemic started. Really?

We are not looking at an out if control pandemic in just 1.4 billion people in India, but more like a population of around 3 to 4 billion people across the entire region, with very low quality public health systems and extreme poverty, all run by extremely corrupt governments.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 pm

speaking of poverty, full study on the effects of socio-economic status in Santiago (in english) and covid. I have not read it all yet.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... g5298.full

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:46 pm

That was a pretty well done study, with collaboration with several international universities showing the disparity in testing, deaths, etc between rich and poor communities in santiago.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:24 pm

I was trying to make some eyeball guesstimate at what the real death rate might be in India.

As brazil has a fairly out of control spread, even with a relatively advanced public medical system, and still hit the limit if its medical system, I thought that is probably a fairly good conservative number to start with.

so 4,000 deaths a day x 7 (India is 7 times the size) = 28,000 deaths a day.

but that is probably the lower end. poverty, public health systems, etc, are whole magnitude or many magnitudes worse in India.

We could be either looking at, or soon will be, 50,000+ a day in India.

That is all not to forget Brazil's catastrophic situation is not over; but, this one seems to have the making of shocking a world that is pretty shock proof and numb already.

I just seen an expert comment on the varients in manause and in India, and he said something like, "it is not by accident that these new variants arises in populations that obtained immunity by natural exposure".

That might be one if the most terrifying things I have read recently.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:32 am

lots and lots of articles about the corruption in India being the cause of this mess. sort of a common theme.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/analysis/opini ... ht/2223018

again, In all the years we have been doing this, I have never had a conversation with an Indian or Pakistani national that did not almost immediately degenerate in to them suggesting we do something illegal.

I mean intentionally illegal. Not someone kind of not understanding the law, or trying figure out what is legal and illegal, or generally unfamiliar with the law or culture in Chile.

No blatant attempts to rope us in to some sort of criminal activity, and they clearly know it is illegal, and simply do not care. Like they want to buy a passport, smuggle people, falsify documents, etc.

Which our policy is anyone that intentionally suggests we do something illegal or assist them in doing something illegal; well, they are lucky if they just never hear from us again. Because if they do, it means we reported them to the PDI. We have zero tolerance policy.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:14 pm

seems chile, next to isreal, now has the second largest percentage of population fully vaccinated in the world.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 pm

so paris announced the government is considering issuing a "green" pass and "green" passport for those that have completed their vaccination +14 days. he did not give much more detail about it.