coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 pm

Chile passes 60% of adults fully vaccinated,

Screenshot_20210617-120221_Brave.jpg
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:30 pm

6,683 new cases, 218 new deaths

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:32 pm

tiagoabner wrote: » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:53 pm

While it wasn't easy to find, I was able to find the Brazilian Phase 3 trial data, which you can access through this link: https://static-content.springer.com/esm ... M1_ESM.pdf The study is in Portuguese, but they do have a summarized version available in English through this link: https://trialsjournal.biomedcentral.com ... 20-04775-4
Thank you. The English version is just information about the design of the trial, but I'll have a look later at the Portuguese document, and see how much I can understand.
While the government is beyond incompetent in terms of preparing scientific articles instead of their bullshit press releases, they do have quite a lot of data available through their websites.

They provide raw data for anyone to study and use as a base for their own scientific or technological (IE. website) purposes, which anyone can access here: github.com/MinCiencia/Datos-COVID19 . This includes case numbers, vaccine data, death rates, quarantine data, pretty much everything. It's a very shitty way to present data, as the average Chilean has no way to properly analyze it, but it's available.

They also provide in-depth epidemiological studies updated weekly in a more user-friendly way, which you can access here: https://www.minsal.cl/nuevo-coronavirus ... -covid-19/

This data is much more complete than the summary they present on their press releases.
Thank you again. I wasn't aware of that page of Minsal with the "Informes Epidemiológicos".

I found some comments on the Brazilian study that include a phrase that has been said before:
"six months ago we would have been delighted with a vaccine that had 50% efficacy"

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... 642252.858

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:51 pm

For several months I've been following a dramatic story involving Russian local powers decreeing mandatory vaccinations, and the Loving-Kindness of the President almost immediately voiding these mandates.

As recently as May 27, the President V. P. called mandatory vaccination “impractical and impossible.”

Yet, yesterday, "...Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin announced the world’s widest-reaching compulsory Covid-19 vaccination policy, decreeing that state and service sector workers would be required to have jabs..."

Russia's Unprecedented Mandatory Vaccination Push Divides Society
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/06/ ... ety-a74237

Moscow Orders Mandatory Vaccinations for Service Workers as Covid-19 Cases Surge
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/06/ ... rge-a74231

"The requirement to vaccinate 60% of staff will apply to businesses whose workers regularly come into contact with members of the public, including retail, public catering, public transport, education, healthcare, beauty salons, fitness centers, banks and cultural institutions.

At least 60% of these business' workforces should be vaccinated with a first dose of a coronavirus vaccine by July 15, with their second dose no later than Aug. 15, according to the new rules."
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:07 pm

So I just went to the census website and 15,200,840 precisely (for 2021) the "objective population" is just the total adult population.

At one stage I thought the objective popuatiion was lower than the entire adult population, but I guess I was wrong.

The total population is 19,678,363 (again, from census excel file) which I make 77% adults and 23% children.

Now clearly not every single adult will be vaccinated so does that mean the objective is achieved when the combined total of adults and children vaccinated equals the adult population? (e.g. 13,000,000 adults and 2,200,840 children). In which case, using the total adults as an objective is somewhat abritrary.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:08 pm

well, well, reporters finally grew a pair of balls to ask the real question, and got a bullshit answer back from Daza.

basically why are our numbers shit, if our numbers are so good?

all they got back, of any use, was that they will see if in july they need a third dose, especially those that got sinovac.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:12 pm

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 pm

admin wrote:
well, well, reporters finally grew a pair of balls to ask the real question, and got a bullshit answer back from Daza.

daza's answer in more detail,

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... dosis.html
I'll repeat something I already said earlier: The government is switching the narrative and nobody seems to be paying attention.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17404&start=4056#p210631
La subsecretaria de Salud Pública, Paula Daza...
Luego de constatar que Francia, que tiene menos del 30% de su población objetivo medicada contra el virus, o Israel, con más de la mitad, ya eliminaron algunas prohibiciones, como el uso obligatorio de mascarilla, siendo cifras menores al 77,8% registrado acá...
They are comparing the Israeli percentage of population with two doses of Pfizer vaccine to the percentage of Chilean population that has received a single dose of Sinovac as equals.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 am
1) experimental jab (mRNA, adenovirus or traditional all still in Phase 3 trials)
That's simply not true. All vaccines being used in Chile have gone through and have been approved at phase 3 trials. Sinovac's data isn't as clear as it should have been, but it's real-world use data shows a high-enough efficacy.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 am
(2) no treatment if sick and if it worsens hospitalization, oxygen and forced breathing till death or a miracle happens were overhauled.
Covid doesn't have a cure at this time. As such, treatment is symptomatic. While there are some medications that have shown limited success in lowering case severity, there isn't enough data at this time about correct dosage or adverse effects in order to advise widespread use for any given drug.

What we do have in countries where governments have widespread recommendation regarding using medication that is not tested and dosed for COVID-19 is a lot of health issues. I'm Brazil, where the president has prescribed hydroxicloroquinine and ivermectin, there have been multiple deaths by liver failure and other serious health issues related to overdose. How do I know? My wife's aunt was one of those who died of liver failure.

Don't be fooled: whatever lab was able to prove they had a drug that was able to cure COVID would have so many orders they would have trouble fulfilling them. They could easily make a few billion dollars in profit, possibly more, depending on the drug's market price.
Here is how I understand [interpret] the spirit of this post by E, and I will happily stay corrected, if I am wrong.

Are governments sincerely interested in healthy populations?.. Irrespective of any particular virus, disease, epidemic... just healthy, period. Healthy in general.

If so, other than placing black stickers on farmers butter and promoting "light" margarine instead, adding fluoride to tap water, fortifying floor with questionable additions, do we see any multi-million dollar lotteries for those who prefer healthy diet, or maybe there are gift cards for those who maintain strong immune system by means of exercises and proper lifestyle, or where is free beer [milkshake] for those who (like myself) never use official health care systems of any kind (and thus never overload medical personnel with extra work)? I don't see any of these undertakings, anywhere in the world, but what I really see is ... {I would prefer not to say}.
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:26 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm
Here is how I understand [interpret] the spirit of this post by E, and I will happily stay corrected, if I am wrong.

Are governments sincerely interested in healthy populations?.. Irrespective of any particular virus, disease, epidemic... just healthy, period. Healthy in general.

If so, other than placing black stickers on farmers butter and promoting "light" margarine instead, adding fluoride to tap water, fortifying floor with questionable additions, do we see any multi-million dollar lotteries for those who prefer healthy diet, or maybe there are gift cards for those who maintain strong immune system by means of exercises and proper lifestyle, or where is free beer [milkshake] for those who (like myself) never use official health care systems of any kind (and thus never overload medical personnel with extra work)? I don't see any of these undertakings, anywhere in the world, but what I really see is ... {I would prefer not to say}.
That's a pretty interesting argument, but I think it would be best to present it divided into multiple questions.

Q: Are governments sincerely interested in healthy populations?
A: Yes, because it's cheaper to maintain them healthy rather than treat them if they get unhealthy. That's assuming you have an intelligent administration, capable of planning for the long term. I don't know if we have that in Chile.

Q: Are there countries that offer benefits for healthy decisions in life?
A: Yes. Measuring the value of decisions like what to eat would be really hard, so it's easier to stimulate people to make healthy decisions by offering them tax rebates on healthy purchases. I know for a fact that Portugal offers a tax credit on bicycle purchases to stimulate more active living, as well as offering a tax rebate on gym memberships and other healthy living expenses. While I don't know about other countries, that proves that there is at least one country where this happens.

Q: Why don't I get free beer for living healthy?
A: I don't know. Have you tried asking nicely?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:39 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 pm
admin wrote:

daza's answer in more detail,

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... dosis.html
I'll repeat something I already said earlier: The government is switching the narrative and nobody seems to be paying attention.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17404&start=4056#p210631
La subsecretaria de Salud Pública, Paula Daza...
Luego de constatar que Francia, que tiene menos del 30% de su población objetivo medicada contra el virus, o Israel, con más de la mitad, ya eliminaron algunas prohibiciones, como el uso obligatorio de mascarilla, siendo cifras menores al 77,8% registrado acá...
They are comparing the Israeli percentage of population with two doses of Pfizer vaccine to the percentage of Chilean population that has received a single dose of Sinovac as equals.
no the big news, that seems to have been skipped by the lazy reporters today, was they said 30% of people in the ICU had two doses.

That number has been progressively slipping. it started out at like 15%; but, as time + exposure risk has increased, so has the number of "fully vaccinated" people in ICUs.

and, they don't seem too keen on giving data anymore on the profiles of those people.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:56 pm

They sure don't, admin. I noticed on Monday when the Minister admitted that ICU admissions were going up in the 70+ age group, someone asked him what the breakout between vaccinated and non-vaccinated was. He said he didn't know. He probably does know, since they have the breakdown overall of vaccinated/not vaccinated. I think no one at the Ministry wants to admit how many of the 70+ ICU admissions were vaccinated. I am guessing it does not fit their narrative.

And, I will just leave this here. It sounds like most were vaccinated in January.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-06-17/