coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Thu May 13, 2021 5:07 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:02 pm
Britkid wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:02 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm
One dose doesn't seem to offer that much protection,
Seems that this is very true for Sinovac, however Pfizer and Astrazeneca seems to have moderate protection levels even 1-2 weeks after first dose.
Yes, that's absolutely right. But Chile has vaccinated roughly 90% of people with Sinovac. It's such a large share that I think it's safe to assume everyone that you run across has been vaccinated with Sinovac.
There is a lot of pfizer out there to. Over half my family got Pfizer. Almost all my friends got Pfizer.

I just could not come up with convincing story to get it. :lol:

Basically if you are over say, 45 years old, you probably got some medical condition that would qualify you for the Pfizer shot. That is assuming it was not the shot of the day to begin with, at your local health department was using for just everyone.

I really wish the government would update their infection rates data for those that have been vaccinated. With a mix of Pfizer (it is something like 10 or 20%, not sure), among the rest all being sinovac, there may be some serious heard immunity to be found at a lower rate of vaccination, considering almost all the most vulnerable were given pfizer.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu May 13, 2021 5:31 pm

Last I saw, Pfizer was at about 15%. Nearly all the rest is Sinovac with a bit of AstraZeneca in the mix.

I'm over 45 but don't have any condition that qualified me for Pfizer. I showed the woman at the entrance table my ID that indicated that I was born in the US. I told her I wanted to see about getting Pfizer since Sinovac has not been approved in the US. I said I hoped to visit the US once the pandemic situation improves (I don't actually have any concrete plans, but she didn't know that) and with Sinovac I would considered unvaccinated. She said she completely understood and wrote "EE.UU. Requiere Pfizer" :lol: on my number ticket and told me I would be priority for Pfizer if it was in the shipment that day. They were not sure what they were getting from the regional government. In the end it turned out that all first doses were Pfizer that day, because they only got enough Sinovac for second doses. Most people seemed pretty happy with that turn of events.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:50 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:02 pm
Britkid wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:02 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm
One dose doesn't seem to offer that much protection,
Seems that this is very true for Sinovac, however Pfizer and Astrazeneca seems to have moderate protection levels even 1-2 weeks after first dose.
Yes, that's absolutely right. But Chile has vaccinated roughly 90% of people with Sinovac. It's such a large share that I think it's safe to assume everyone that you run across has been vaccinated with Sinovac.
85%, according to our world in data. Considering another Pfizer shipment arrived today, it's possible that % will continue to dip.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu May 13, 2021 7:43 pm

The government send to have noticed no one had fallen for the excuse they got out of their asses and they've announced they'll be announcing new criteria for Paso a Paso in a few weeks.

Source: https://www.t13.cl/noticia/nacional/gob ... 13-05-2021
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Thu May 13, 2021 8:20 pm

We may be about to get a test of the government's confidence in Sinovac. The CDC in the US just announced that vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks, even inside when with other vaccinated people. Apparently outside transmission is also exceedingly rare, irrespective of vaccination status.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 pm

gringalais wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:31 pm
Last I saw, Pfizer was at about 15%. Nearly all the rest is Sinovac with a bit of AstraZeneca in the mix.

I'm over 45 but don't have any condition that qualified me for Pfizer. I showed the woman at the entrance table my ID that indicated that I was born in the US. I told her I wanted to see about getting Pfizer since Sinovac has not been approved in the US. I said I hoped to visit the US once the pandemic situation improves (I don't actually have any concrete plans, but she didn't know that) and with Sinovac I would considered unvaccinated. She said she completely understood and wrote "EE.UU. Requiere Pfizer" :lol: on my number ticket and told me I would be priority for Pfizer if it was in the shipment that day. They were not sure what they were getting from the regional government. In the end it turned out that all first doses were Pfizer that day, because they only got enough Sinovac for second doses. Most people seemed pretty happy with that turn of events.
actually, I don't know anyone that had to work too hard get pfizer if they wanted it..

I had a medical prescription, actually from three doctors. I could have insisted and gotten pfizer if I wanted.

I just did sinovac because,

1), i did not want to take vaccine that might be more important to some one else. my relative risk is very small.

2). i live in the compo. i got time.

3) curiosity, does it work?. my own study. i am that geeky. 😆

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu May 13, 2021 10:11 pm

admin wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 pm
gringalais wrote:

actually, I don't know anyone that had to work too hard get pfizer if they wanted it..

I had a medical prescription, actually from three doctors. I could have insisted and gotten pfizer if I wanted.

1), i did not want to take vaccine that might be more important to some one else. my relative risk is very small.

👍🏻
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:11 pm
admin wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 pm
gringalais wrote:

👍🏻
well, there is still the possibility that is one of the dumbest things I have ever done; but that is a very high bar.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu May 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Better you than me, admin :lol: .

I have a lot of scientists in the know in the family and they were all recommending that I try to get Pfizer, so I was definitely in the mindset that I needed to do my best and get that. I was actually shot down the first time I went, but that was in the afternoon and they said that they were out of Pfizer. Then I tried to get my pulmonologist to give me a medical certificate, but he told me to take whatever was available. It was the third time that was a charm. Now my husband and I tease each other about who got the better vaccine. He had relatively few side effects with Sinovac, so he was telling me that I wouldn't have felt so crappy today had I gone with Sinovac.

I figure that by the time I went, priority people for Pfizer had their chances to get it if they wanted to. Plus, the Me Vacuno site says that you have to take the option you are offered and I was offered Pfizer!

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:13 am

gringalais wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:54 pm
I wish they would give up hope on us. We are still stuck in lockdown. We live outside of town too and when I went in yesterday to the cultural center for my shot, it looked like a normal day apart from some businesses being closed. There was traffic on the main streets and lines to get into banks and ServiEstado.
Tell me about it.......we live in Puente Alto, which is apparently infection city (municipality with the most cases in the nation)......so I have little hope of being liberated from phase 1 anytime soon. Fortunately my work is remote and we managed to find a buyer during the summer (when things were better) for the house we are selling......I was happy to see Rancagua included today on the list of places advancing to phase 2, since that means our future home will be that much closer to being ready.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 14, 2021 11:46 am

I just did an antibody test today, exactly one month from my second Sinovac dose, and I have antibodies. So does my wife, who also got Sinovac. I'm kind of relieved that it did work as intended.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Fri May 14, 2021 11:53 am

Jamers - Here we are hitting 8 weeks. I guess it's about the same there. We can both work from home too, at least. If we were still where we were living in Santiago, we would be in phase 2. However, we'd be renting a cramped house and would have probably killed each other by now :lol: At least where we living, we have a good sized yard, our own larger house and peace and quiet. We're away from the ugly part along route 5. Here we have farms and nature behind the house. The dogs are happy to have a good-sized yard too.

The most annoying thing is that 2 hours isn't really enough to do anything. We can't even make it to Jumbo in that amount of time and they don't deliver here. We are restricted to what is in town and ordering from Telemercados. When it was 3 hours we could swing it, but 2 is close if there's a line to get in.

At least that is good news that you go an offer on the house. I hope your new house is ready soon and you can make the move smoothly!