coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
for31

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by for31 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Fugger wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 pm
37% of all UCI patients are vaccinated (63% are non-vaccinated). If efficiency really would be 90%, then that percentage should be in the order of 11% (i.e. 89% from non-vaccinated).
It seems some correction is needed here. Here is the quote from the source:

"«El 63% de los hospitalizados en Unidades de Cuidados Intensivos no se ha vacunado contra el COVID-19, eso tiene que corregirse», indicó el ministro de Salud, Enrique Paris, durante el balance de la pandemia de COVID-19 en el país, quién agregó que «si nos ponemos más finos, el 86% de los hospitalizados en UCI no ha completado su esquema de vacunación, esto debe hacernos reflexionar de que los no vacunados tienen mucho más riesgo de enfermar»."

It seems 86% of all those hospitalized haven't been fully vaccinated. We know than Sinovac is pretty much useless after one dose only. Therefore, the real efficiency based on the published numbers should be a bit higher.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:24 pm

Yeah, you do have a point, admin for smaller population areas.

Where I live the cases are all pretty far away. Never around here. But, as I suspected, we will go back to lockdown. I doubt it will be any more effective than the last one!

Thanks for that calculation, Fugger. I was wracking my brain as far as how to work that out.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:33 pm

Fugger wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 pm
PXYC wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:15 pm
I spoke to a doctor friend this weekend and she said the % of vaccinated people going to UCI because of COVID is very low. Good news..
I'm afraid it is much too high
https://www.minsal.cl/63-de-los-hospita ... -covid-19/

37% of all UCI patients are vaccinated (63% are non-vaccinated).
looks like the 37% includes first dosis only

looks like 14% of people in the hospital are fully vaccinated.

In which cases, the claims (from the biggest Chilean study) that Sinovac is 80s% in efficacy seem consistent with this info since they relate to when you have second dosis and some weeks have passed.

I am going to make a prediction (despite my previous failed prediction in February that cases would go way down within March). This time, I predict case numbers will stay high in June and July before going down quite a lot in August.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm

I signed up here https://mevacuno.gob.cl/ an it says it will email me when I need to go and get my second dosis. This is worth doing if you have had 1st dosis only of AstraZeneca since the date for your second dosis is currently unknown.

I was given a date of 12 weeks later initially, but it was then said they would change it to 4 weeks, and then they suspended AstraZeneca (presumably temporarily).

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:36 pm

The problem with straight numbers, such as x% of those in ICU have been vaccinated is you don’t have any age or underlying pathology break out, many ICU patients that are fully vaccinated may be +70 with underlying medical conditions, beware of the numbers, at the other end you hear about a 28 year old in ICU, the patient may be grossly overweight and have other issues, but all you hear is the age…..just saying
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:19 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:36 pm
The problem with straight numbers, such as x% of those in ICU have been vaccinated is you don’t have any age or underlying pathology break out, many ICU patients that are fully vaccinated may be +70 with underlying medical conditions, beware of the numbers, at the other end you hear about a 28 year old in ICU, the patient may be grossly overweight and have other issues, but all you hear is the age…..just saying
yea, like they say in legal circles "the law does not protect the stupid", well, niether do vaccines.

Like the brother of a friend that died recently. fully vaccinated, caught covid, then developed breathing problems. He refused to go to the hospital, even though the whole family was trying to get him to go. He died in his sleep.

Do we add him to the stats on vaccine failures?

FYI, he was 80 years old.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 pm

For the curious, this is what we bought,
IMG-20210607-WA0000.jpg
210,000 pesos, for 25 tests. all kits are individual. no for example sharing a bottle of reagent, as we have seen with some other boxes of tests.

works out to, 8,400 pesos per test.

we split the cost with a friend, as none of us really need 25 rapid tests; or, if we do, we got much bigger problems.

my sister in law recently had to pay for rapid tests and PCR tests at a private clinic, as the local health department was out of kits. I will ask her what she paid for comparison; but, I figure standing in line with a bunch of potentially sick and contagious people just to find out you don't have covid can not be good and I am happy to pay 8,400 pesos to skip the line.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:32 pm

FYI, we are using a box of 25 tests, to cover about 10 people in our circle of family and close friends.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Rapid antigen tests in Santiago usually go from $16.000 to $45.000. Ask me how I know. :lol:

So $200k-ish for a 25-test box is a very good price.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38 pm

well, I also expect that the follow up slow PCR will be less needed.

like my sister in law had both a rapid test then a slow PCR for the kids.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:10 pm

and the government is transitioning to rapid tests too,

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... iatez.html

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:52 pm

gringalais wrote: » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:31 pm
admin wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:11 am

parse that from polite politically correct chinese to mean, "sinovac is bullshit, and you need to keep on taking doses to
keep up your immunity".

so if it took Chile 6 months to vaccinate everyone, 50% will not have descent antibodies by the time they are done.
It was recently mentioned here as well.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... nidad.html
That article includes this line:
En cuanto a las vacunas Covidencia, de CanSino Biologics Inc. (China-Canadá),...
China-Canada? That partnership ended months ago.
Oct 6, 2020
a deal to test China’s COVID-19 vaccine in a Canadian Phase I/II trial unraveled at the seams. The breakdown culminated in an announcement by Canada’s National Research Council (NRC) of the dissolution of the partnership. Canadians have been left wondering what exactly motivated Canada to enter into such an unstable partnership in the first place given the dire state of Canada-China relations and the scandalous history of China’s vaccine industry.

https://healthydebate.ca/2020/10/about- ... rtnership/