coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:13 pm

8,876 new cases, 120 deaths, on a Saturday. second highest daily rate of the pandemic. 47,380 active cases.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

for31

Post by for31 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:46 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:58 pm
Rosch
because they were $20 cheaper.
Much appreciated ! :)

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:20 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:37 am

well, the thing that I keep in mind, is so far our numbers are not even coming close to the neighbors. I am not giving the lockdowns any credit for that.

colombia just passed 30,000 cases a day, with a 50 million population.

Argentina is still over 30,000 cases a day, but with 2.6 times the population they are doing almost the exact same amount of PCR tests a day (70,000ish). so, I suspect there is far more cases in circulation.

Peru, I seen a stat the other day that 1 in 200 peruvians have died from covid. It is probably higher outside Lima now, as there is very little infrastructure.

The minsal seems to be pretty quiet on the whole what varients are in circulation (or I have not seen it). I assume the brazil and UK varients are now the dominate varients, or close to it. The indian varient is in south america now, and that sucker is suppose to be around 200% more transmisiable than the original.

so, yea, even with a lot of vaccination I can see how the infection rates are still high, especially given the low vaccination rates among the poorest and highest density populations in Chile.
Decided to look into this a bit.

Here (using data from worldometers on cases and Bloomberg on vaccines) is the relative daily case numbers (rough at a glance average of last week or two) and deaths relative to Chile per head of population. For major countries in South America and ones that border Chile.

So Argentina in recent days has had 1.896 cases per head of population for every 1 in Chile, and 2.6 deaths per head of population for every 1 in Chile

Cases ...Deaths Vaccine %
Argentina 1.896 2.600 7%
Brazil .... 0.920 2.116 10%
Colombia 1.290 1.912 9%
Peru ..... 0.369 2.955 4%
Chile .... 1.000 1.000 44%
Bolivia .. 0.630 1.513 3%

The case numbers are all over the place, presumably differences in reporting, so fairly useless to compare.

For reported deaths, other countries are at 1.5-3 times the Chile rate when adjusted for population.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:03 pm

yea, again, the big assumption is the stats can be trusted. Peru for instance.

Paris today said that without vaccines Chile would be over 25,000 cases a day. That sure sounds like he is basing that off the Argentina numbers, as it is pretty similar to my guesstimate / comparison.

FYI, those Bloomberg numbers have always been way off when I looked at them and compared them with other sources. in fact it was why I quit looking at them.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:07 pm

oh, and Peru has an election this weekend. frigen nuts.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:11 pm

so suprise, suprise, the communities with the lowest vaccination rates, are also the highest number of cases.

En la misma línea, el documento revela que Puente Alto continúa como la comuna con más casos a nivel nacional, superando los dos mil contagiantes, llegando a 2.448. La siguen Maipú (1.657); Santiago (1.454); La Florida (1.453); Peñalolén (1.210); Rancagua (1.194); Los Ángeles (1.189); y San Bernardo (1.081).

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:27 pm

admin wrote: » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:22 am

There was a study out of the EU, I posted some time back.

can not recall the exact number, but out of something like 3 million people (number that had been vaccinated with AZ at the time), something like 300 would have had a bloodclot, without a vaccine. They are really common.

Though uncommon, vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT) is much more severe than a typical blood clot because it can cause cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST), where veins that drain blood from the brain are obstructed and can potentially cause fatal bleeding.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6045685

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:11 am

The following message about sinovac was approved by the central committee, and it is not a good sign:

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202106/1225472.shtml

a third dose of sinovac, 3 and 6 months later boost immunity 10 fold.

great, what are you saying?

parse that from polite politically correct chinese to mean, "sinovac is bullshit, and you need to keep on taking doses to
keep up your immunity".

which, is pretty much exactly what the chinese CDC says at the end of the article explicitly:
Data from people vaccinated six months ago is now being analyzed, and preliminary results showed that the antibody levels for about half of them are still good, Shao Yiming, a leading physician and immunologist from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told media earlier.
so if it took Chile 6 months to vaccinate everyone, 50% will not have descent antibodies by the time they are done.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:03 am

My wife was talking to a guy who has been up in Brazil a couple of months ago, no one cares about the virus he said, “nadie esta ni alli” were his words. Everyone goes out, very few people wear masks, nearly everyone has a family member or friends that have died, but still life goes on.

I think that is the same in most countries in South America, yes a small percentage take precautions and listen to advice , but the vast majority are just going to do what they want, no matter what Bolsinaro, Piñera, Fernandez, (whoever is in Peru these days) or any president or government in the region says.

In June 2021 I don’t think the blame can be laid at the feet of any politician or president anymore, yeah they could have done better, yeah the could have done this and they shouldn’t have done that, but really at the end of the day there are just so many people “que no estan ni alli” when it comes to being sensible in a pandemic.

You can’t legislate for ignorance, stupidity, pig headedness or just laziness, people are going to do what they are going to do.

That’s why I think they might as well just employ the initial Boris Johnson strategy now and let it rip, lift all restrictions and aim for herd immunity, lockdowns are pointless now. If the majority don’t care about them, who are they really helping?
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:31 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:11 am
The following message about sinovac was approved by the central committee, and it is not a good sign:

parse that from polite politically correct chinese to mean, "sinovac is bullshit, and you need to keep on taking doses to
keep up your immunity".

which, is pretty much exactly what the chinese CDC says at the end of the article explicitly:
Data from people vaccinated six months ago is now being analyzed, and preliminary results showed that the antibody levels for about half of them are still good, Shao Yiming, a leading physician and immunologist from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told media earlier.
so if it took Chile 6 months to vaccinate everyone, 50% will not have descent antibodies by the time they are done.
Well, I can't say I am surprised :lol: !

It was recently mentioned here as well.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... nidad.html

I also have heard that some countries mainly using the Sinopharm vaccine like UAE and maybe Bahrain are offering a 3rd dose of Pfizer to people who received two doses of Sinopharm.

Uruguay is considering doing the same:

https://www.montevideo.com.uy/Salud/GAC ... c-uc787695

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:36 pm

gringalais wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:31 pm
admin wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:11 am

keep up your immunity".

Well, I can't say I am surprised :lol: !

It was recently mentioned here as well.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... nidad.html

I also have heard that some countries mainly using the Sinopharm vaccine like UAE and maybe Bahrain are offering a 3rd dose of Pfizer to people who received two doses of Sinopharm.

Uruguay is considering doing the same:

https://www.montevideo.com.uy/Salud/GAC ... c-uc787695
chile has already sign contracts months ago, which leads to a "what did they know, and when did they know it" in the government.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:42 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:03 am
My wife was talking to a guy who has been up in Brazil a couple of months ago, no one cares about the virus he said, “nadie esta ni alli” were his words. Everyone goes out, very few people wear masks, nearly everyone has a family member or friends that have died, but still life goes on.

I think that is the same in most countries in South America, yes a small percentage take precautions and listen to advice , but the vast majority are just going to do what they want, no matter what Bolsinaro, Piñera, Fernandez, (whoever is in Peru these days) or any president or government in the region says.

In June 2021 I don’t think the blame can be laid at the feet of any politician or president anymore, yeah they could have done better, yeah the could have done this and they shouldn’t have done that, but really at the end of the day there are just so many people “que no estan ni alli” when it comes to being sensible in a pandemic.

You can’t legislate for ignorance, stupidity, pig headedness or just laziness, people are going to do what they are going to do.

That’s why I think they might as well just employ the initial Boris Johnson strategy now and let it rip, lift all restrictions and aim for herd immunity, lockdowns are pointless now. If the majority don’t care about them, who are they really helping?
well, in a certain sense, the "not giving a shit" culture of Latin America is kind of why I live here and love it; of course that cuts both ways.

super nice when say the neighbors lets you build some monstrosity of a structure on your property with little more than a shrug of the shoulders and some politely curious questions about what you are doing.

not so nice when you are trying to not to die of a deadly disease.