coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 pm

early on in the pandemic, some hedge funds were reporting the number of cell numbers that went dark around wuhan. they use it to track investment in china telecom companies.

those sort of stats disappeared, once bejing realized they had a problem.

I see the same thing going on with stats out of india, where local government was saying like 2,000 cell phones in one town disappeared because people were looking for medical services somewhere else.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 pm

admin wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:49 pm
hlf2888 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:43 pm
Britkid wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:19 pm
There are still about 200 people dying every week over 80 which is about the same rate as before the vaccine program started. This number is possibly declining very slightly over time, but the decline is so slight it´s not clear if it is a real decline trend.

I still have lingering doubts about why this is happening even though about 80% of this age group had their second dose a long time ago.

Are they releasing the data on how many of these people were vaccinated, and on what date?

It looks like the sinovac is less effective than claimed
OR the vaccine was introduced at a time the virus was getting more transmissible and more dangerous
OR maybe there is some other explanation

I sometimes think there might be something we don´t yet know. It doesn´t seem to quite add up.
Nothing adds up anymore.

There was an articulate and compelling interview on CBC this morning with the director of a documentary on Wuhan. The Chinese government initiated a complete lockdown in February 2020, and managed to get it under control by April 2020 when the city Wuhan, and the country re-opened. I have friends on a FB page for expats in China. They all say China did a great job but was much stricter than other countries. Now everything is open, even nightclubs and discotheques. Here in the Western world, (I am in Canada now) there are too many people who think they are much more important, as individuals, than the society is. Here is the link for the podcast.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1- ... M17DvlAGzc
wuhan is a small town by chinese standards. It would take something like 20,000 people extra dying a day for it to even show-up in the stats; assuming any of the stats could be trusted.

FYI, Beijing has full control of all social media, including FB used by expats.
I agree they are fudging numbers but actions speak louder than words. They have re-opened large segments of China, with albeit, extreme controls. Meanwhile, in Canada, they are re-opening kids camps and the third wave is just winding down. They are setting the stage for fourth wave.. ???

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 17, 2021 12:13 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 pm
admin wrote:
hlf2888 wrote:
Britkid wrote:
There are still about 200 people dying every week over 80 which is about the same rate as before the vaccine program started. This number is possibly declining very slightly over time, but the decline is so slight it´s not clear if it is a real decline trend.

I still have lingering doubts about why this is happening even though about 80% of this age group had their second dose a long time ago.

Are they releasing the data on how many of these people were vaccinated, and on what date?

OR the vaccine was introduced at a time the virus was getting more transmissible and more dangerous

I sometimes think there might be something we don´t yet know. It doesn´t seem to quite add up.
Nothing adds up anymore.

There was an articulate and compelling interview on CBC this morning with the director of a documentary on Wuhan. The Chinese government initiated a complete lockdown in February 2020, and managed to get it under control by April 2020 when the city Wuhan, and the country re-opened. I have friends on a FB page for expats in China. They all say China did a great job but was much stricter than other countries. Now everything is open, even nightclubs and discotheques. Here in the Western world, (I am in Canada now) there are too many people who think they are much more important, as individuals, than the society is. Here is the link for the podcast.

wuhan is a small town by chinese standards. It would take something like 20,000 people extra dying a day for it to even show-up in the stats; assuming any of the stats could be trusted.

I agree they are fudging numbers but actions speak louder than words. They have re-opened large segments of China, with albeit, extreme controls. Meanwhile, in Canada, they are re-opening kids camps and the third wave is just winding down. They are setting the stage for fourth wave.. ???
uhh, you are making a very western assumption in interpreting the value of an "individual".

China's culture, and especially the communist party culture, does not give a shit if they kill millions of their own people. They will totally open up, and let tens of thousands of people die from a ho hum virus. In Chinese culture, it will not even qualify as political scandal, even if widely known to the public. The Chinese have been killing their own people by the millions, for thousands of years. People are one thing, China still has plenty of in reserve, and they do not put the same value on "individuals" like they would in the West. Even in the west, the concept of the "rights of the individual" is pretty new. Like only a few hundred years old new, and many would argue, still a work in progress. It is only sort of on the radar screen in the last say 20 to 30 years in China's culture, and even that is being generous.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm

update on sinovac effectiveness in chile,
20210517_143019.jpg
20210517_143039.jpg

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon May 17, 2021 4:46 pm

admin wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm

update on sinovac effectiveness in chile,
Efectividad de la vacuna Coronavac

al dia 14 despues de la segunda dosis
Since the 13 days after the first or the second dose are not to be considered (Estado de inmunidad "desconocido"), it looks as this would be the results of a single day, day number 14 after the second dose.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 17, 2021 7:44 pm

here are articles with more details on the results of sinovac,

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... d-19.shtml

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... insal.html

There are some big differences in the data first released back in like April.

The big one is time. Just lot more time for people to be exposed to the virus.

The second one is the sheer size of those included. think they only had like one to two million people fully vaccinated at that time to include, most of those were older or had some existing medical condition. Now it is almost exactly 50/50 vaccinated vs. none-vaccinated.

They also eliminated those that had pfizer (they are going to release that data soon) and only included those in the Fonasa public insurance system. They eliminated anyone that was inactive in the system, for whatever reason. That is subtle, but probably important to compare apples to apples as far as healthcare standard received.

Here is the data from the previous,

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... rtes.shtml

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 pm

I do have a story of a brother of a friend that died this weekend, after having both sinovac doses.

Male, 80 years old. He contracted covid, started having breathing problems, and then refused to go to the hospital. I believe he had existing health conditions too. went to sleep, and never woke-up.

so, mixed reviews on that case. not sure what to think. all vaccines have less efficiency in the over 80s just due to the way the immune system responds at that age, and then in one respect was sufficiently well to refuse to go to the hospital. would he have survived treatment in a hospital at 80?

That is the only case though I am personally aware of with someone that had both doses.

fybian

Post by fybian » Mon May 17, 2021 11:52 pm

admin wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:13 pm
hlf2888 wrote:
admin wrote:
hlf2888 wrote:
Britkid wrote:

Nothing adds up anymore.

uhh, you are making a very western assumption in interpreting the value of an "individual".

China's culture, and especially the communist party culture, does not give a shit if they kill millions of their own people. They will totally open up, and let tens of thousands of people die from a ho hum virus. In Chinese culture, it will not even qualify as political scandal, even if widely known to the public. The Chinese have been killing their own people by the millions, for thousands of years. People are one thing, China still has plenty of in reserve, and they do not put the same value on "individuals" like they would in the West. Even in the west, the concept of the "rights of the individual" is pretty new. Like only a few hundred years old new, and many would argue, still a work in progress. It is only sort of on the radar screen in the last say 20 to 30 years in China's culture, and even that is being generous.
so the total death of covid-19 in china is less than 5k, while the total death of covid-19 in the USA is more than 500k.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:02 am

fybian wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:52 pm
admin wrote:
hlf2888 wrote:
admin wrote:
hlf2888 wrote:
Britkid wrote:

Nothing adds up anymore.

so the total death of covid-19 in china is less than 5k, while the total death of covid-19 in the USA is more than 500k.
some posters (ahem) will never believe anything positive about China whilst begrudgingly acknowledging their vaccine just might be working on par with the name brands. And I would multiply that 5 K by 10 for reality's stake, and still they are impressive. And admin, how does killing millions of your people help further your cause of world domination?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 18, 2021 10:06 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:02 am
fybian wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:52 pm
admin wrote:
hlf2888 wrote:
admin wrote:
hlf2888 wrote:
Britkid wrote:

Nothing adds up anymore.

some posters (ahem) will never believe anything positive about China whilst begrudgingly acknowledging their vaccine just might be working on par with the name brands. And I would multiply that 5 K by 10 for reality's stake, and still they are impressive. And admin, how does killing millions of your people help further your cause of world domination?
don't know. Ask chairman Moa.

RocketRichard

Post by RocketRichard » Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am

"Don't make a fuss about a world war (Pandemic) . At most, people die... Half the population wiped out - this happened quite a few times in Chinese history... It's best if half the population is left." Mao Zedong

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 18, 2021 4:56 pm

RocketRichard wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am
"Don't make a fuss about a world war (Pandemic) . At most, people die... Half the population wiped out - this happened quite a few times in Chinese history... It's best if half the population is left." Mao Zedong
and those aren't YMCA camps in western China