coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 am
dmwbmw2 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 am
El Mercurio today, first hard info I have seen in a while. Appears believable. BioNTech is a new name to me.
BioNTech was the German company that actually researched and developed the vaccine. They've partnered with Pfizer to use Pfizer's production infrastructure to have the scale needed to make enough vaccine doses.

Each media outlet is referring to the vaccine in a different way, although American and Chilean media are usually referring to it mostly as "the Pfizer vaccine".
moderna licensed the tech from biontech also.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm

more on the sinovac vaccine and the Brazilian data,

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01 ... cine-china

in short, the whole trial, everywhere in the world is classic Chinese political bullshit.

I am not touching that crap.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 am

Sinovac ..... Even allowing for statistical uncertainties, that is considerably below the greater than 90% efficacies of three other already authorized COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01 ... cine-china
It does not look as if the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine is actually 90% effective.
In late-stage trials, two full doses were given to the majority of participants in the UK and Brazil and were shown to be 62% effective - but a smaller group of volunteers received by accident half a dose followed by a full dose, and registered 90% effectiveness. They were in Britain and under 55 years of age.

On Wednesday, the authorities cleared up one doubt raised by the AstraZeneca-Oxford data, saying that a 90% success rate for a half-dose followed by a full dose had not stood up to analysis.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SKBN29806E

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:51 am

seems the oxford vaccine 90% efficiency was found in the timing between first and second dose. Not the size of the dosing.

The initial group that got the half dose then full dose had a over 90% efficiency not because of the dose, but because they tended to get the second dose later.

When they looked at the data for the groups that got the two full doses, they found those that got the second dose later, also had higher effeciency rates. which is consistent with what happens with almost every other type of vaccine that needs more than one dose.

There is suppose to be another series of papers on it being published.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 am

so pinera has announced 170,000 doses of Pfizer vaccine will start arriving the end of January.

They still seem to be touting 10 million doses of the Chinese shit will arrive soon too.

I think they are setting themselves up for a major scandal with the Chinese vaccine, as most chileans will probably refuse it just out if old fashion racism, never mind the lack of verifiable scientific data.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:00 am

admin wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 am

I think they are setting themselves up for a major scandal with the Chinese vaccine, as most chileans will probably refuse it just out if old fashion racism, never mind the lack of verifiable scientific data.
Yup, that sounds about right.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am

Cases are higher than the peak in June last year in many places where people are having summer holidays.

I know its easy to sit here with the benefit of hindsight (not that it is really hindsight) because admin and most of us said this would happen back in the Spring after seeing what was happening in Europe and U.S after they let their guard down in their summer.

And I also know everyone is an individual and does their own thing and often act in ignorance or belligerence but it doesn't stop this sensation of feeling like we have been watching something like a car wreck after a high speed game of chicken, or watching a dozen games of Russian Roulette where we knew the eventual likely outcome of it all along, we can't be surprised and we can't blame the car or the gun.

I know that sounds arrogant and the typical reaction is 'whats done is done ' and 'how does pointing the finger help' , blah , blah, blah . Its just my observation.

It was inevitable this was going to happen and theres not really any point complaining because its done , maybe ignorance really is bliss, I dunno, just rambling now, from a purely human behavior/observation point of view its been fascinating and actually explains a lot about the unexplainable (or perhaps predictable) actions of humans.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... -peor.html

In saying that , it doesn't give me any hope for the new constitution process, because I see the inevitable outcome of that too.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am

admin wrote:
seems the oxford vaccine 90% efficiency was found in the timing between first and second dose. Not the size of the dosing.

The initial group that got the half dose then full dose had a over 90% efficiency not because of the dose, but because they tended to get the second dose later.

When they looked at the data for the groups that got the two full doses, they found those that got the second dose later, also had higher effeciency rates. which is consistent with what happens with almost every other type of vaccine that needs more than one dose.

There is suppose to be another series of papers on it being published.
That had been what they claimed in the media, but the UK regulators said that, without proper evidence, they would only approve their 62% efficacy rate. And the USA is waiting for data from the US trials before giving approval.
A U.S. study of AstraZeneca’s vaccine involving some 30,000 volunteers is in the works and should produce data by late January.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SKBN28H1YL

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:37 pm

An American pigeon breaks the quarantine in Australia after crossing the Pacific from the US: she will be executed

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/int ... tada.shtml

"...An American pigeon would have traveled nearly 15,000 kilometers to land in Melbourne, thus defying the island's strict quarantine regulations and causing shock from the authorities...

...a resident of Melbourne, discovered the dove in front of his house...

...as the bird violated strict entry measures to the continent... It must be euthanized because it arrived from the United States without having completed the quarantine..."

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:40 pm

All travel to the UK from South America and Portugal suspended from 0400 Friday 15th January where 'a new and concerning variant has emerged' (Brazil).

On the Beeb tonight they were showing the first of the Chinese vaccine being given to Doctors in Turkey, the Government there quoting a 97.1% efficacy success, but it was added after that Indonesia said theirs was 60%, and quoted Brazils at 50%. If you are going to have it make sure you get the Turkish one.

Vaccinations continue in the UK, it is all rather a postcode lottery. In our town it started yesterday, our particular surgery starts it tomorrow, and if you are in other parts of the country and are over eighty years of age you could have had both ones already. Initial shortage of vaccine is reported as the problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:56 pm

41southchile wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am
Cases are higher than the peak in June last year in many places where people are having summer holidays.

I know its easy to sit here with the benefit of hindsight (not that it is really hindsight) because admin and most of us said this would happen back in the Spring after seeing what was happening in Europe and U.S after they let their guard down in their summer.

And I also know everyone is an individual and does their own thing and often act in ignorance or belligerence but it doesn't stop this sensation of feeling like we have been watching something like a car wreck after a high speed game of chicken, or watching a dozen games of Russian Roulette where we knew the eventual likely outcome of it all along, we can't be surprised and we can't blame the car or the gun.

I know that sounds arrogant and the typical reaction is 'whats done is done ' and 'how does pointing the finger help' , blah , blah, blah . Its just my observation.

It was inevitable this was going to happen and theres not really any point complaining because its done , maybe ignorance really is bliss, I dunno, just rambling now, from a purely human behavior/observation point of view its been fascinating and actually explains a lot about the unexplainable (or perhaps predictable) actions of humans.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... -peor.html

In saying that , it doesn't give me any hope for the new constitution process, because I see the inevitable outcome of that too.
thanks. That saves me the long rant about the Santiago idiots everywhere, from idiots at the beach and the bank, to the 5 private helicopters that flew over my house today, to my neighbor that just arrived from Santiago asking me if they can use my printer (sorry, just ran out of ink, probably won't be refilled untill everyone has the vaccine).

The word "NO!!!" seems to be a very useful tool in a pandemic. Everyone should use it more.

As in, "No, you can not go on frigen vacation this year"

As in, "No, you can not drop by my house unannounced".

etc, etc, etc.

Hell, it is probably more useful than wearing a mask. If people said "No!!!!" more, we would not need the mask.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Screenshot_20210114-085411_Brave.jpg
that is the local cases today in (part) of southern chile. basically if the town does not show increaing cases, it is because they were already under a phase 1/2 lockdown for some time.

my wife and I ventured out today to do a 3 month shopping trip, fill the gas tanks, and other things. frutillar is not in a phase 1 quartine right now, but we will be. they locked us down for 56 cases last time. just about every community around us is already in phase 1. drove by several beaches today, including ones that were suppose to be in phase 1. all full of people.

In short, this shit is not over by a long shot; but, most the country is acting like it.