coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
ghibli

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by ghibli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am

admin - thanks for the link to the good doctor. Re zinc, etc. I've been taking zinc, vita D, vita C and quercetin for months. Quercetin has a similar effect as hydrochloroquine, i.e. it opens the virus "shell" thus allowing zinc to do it's work. Vita D deficiency, as you say, is extremely common in chile and other places. The problem - BIG problem !!! in chile is the cost of vitas. As the good doctor states, 1000 doses of vita D can be manufactured for about US$1. In chile a bottle of 90 tabs of vita D costs any where from 8.000CLP to 11.000CLP. An outrageous markup!!!! I'm sure that many people would see that as out of reach financially. Zinc is equally expensive and vita C is outrageous as well.

Good sources of quercetin are tea - green or black, and red wine. Cheers

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:46 am

Ascorbic Acid USP (pharma and food grade) can be found relatively cheap at chem shops but the origin is China.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am

admin wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am

that article seems to be pretty light on discussion of the relationship to covid.
Idk maybe thats the right way to go 🤔, from what I have read and seen there is nothing to relate Vit D supplements and Coranavirus, its just speculation, I guess more time is needed. Yeah it has benefits that should follow, and certainly in moderate doses won't do anyone any harm, but as for direct relationships and studies that show it helps with Coranavirus I've found nothing. Ive bought vit D ( you know just in case), but found the IU levels seemed to be crazy, exceeding daily recommended levels by over 10 times .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am
admin wrote:

that article seems to be pretty light on discussion of the relationship to covid.
Idk maybe thats the right way to go 🤔, from what I have read and seen there is nothing to relate Vit D supplements and Coranavirus, its just speculation, I guess more time is needed. Yeah it has benefits that should follow, and certainly in moderate doses won't do anyone any harm, but as for direct relationships and studies that show it helps with Coranavirus I've found nothing. Ive bought vit D ( you know just in case), but found the IU levels seemed to be crazy, exceeding daily recommended levels by over 10 times .
You can get your blood levels checked and make a dose decision. The nutritionists who are up-to-date on this say most older adults should be getting 2000-5000 IU daily which is far above the outdated FDA reco daly allowance.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 pm
41southchile wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am
admin wrote:

You can get your blood levels checked and make a dose decision. The nutritionists who are up-to-date on this say most older adults should be getting 2000-5000 IU daily which is far above the outdated FDA reco daly allowance.
Thanks, yeah that will be they way to go I think.
The ones I bought on mercado libre had 10000IU , so still 2 to 5 times over updated limits, more I guess if I am getting Vit D from other sources. Unlike my halcyon university days, these days I Like to check things out before swallowing any old thing, even if they are "just" vitamins.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:07 pm

Remember you want D3 (usually derived from lanolin) not the artificial D2.

- Søren Kierkegaard

passport

Post by passport » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 am
The government has announced this Saturday that a negative PCR test done less than 72 hours after arrival on Chile will exempt a person from the 14-day quarantine.

Source (in Spanish): http://www.diariooficial.interior.gob.c ... 832650.pdf

There are no notes about allowing non-residents and non-citizens, so no tourist access yet.
Ya so how about new arrivals - let them get a Chilean test after 3 days in the country... if negative they can walk free... sounds good to me

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm

passport wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 am
The government has announced this Saturday that a negative PCR test done less than 72 hours after arrival on Chile will exempt a person from the 14-day quarantine.

Source (in Spanish): http://www.diariooficial.interior.gob.c ... 832650.pdf

There are no notes about allowing non-residents and non-citizens, so no tourist access yet.
Ya so how about new arrivals - let them get a Chilean test after 3 days in the country... if negative they can walk free... sounds good to me
yea, that makes more sense than 'perhaps someone got a legit test from a legit lab, and did not contract the virus in the meantime'.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

passport

Post by passport » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Well - not really, I wrote too fast. As you mentioned before, the incubation time can be much more than 3 days; more like 2 - 14 days or even longer So, a Chilean test within 3 days of arrival is no more valid than a foreign test within 3 days of departure - in fact, possibly less so.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:58 pm

yes, aware of that, but was thinking in terms of balance between the threat posed vs. economic costs.

If say this catches around 80 percent of active cases among travelers vs say 30 percent, probably sufficient improvement.

really should be pared with increased restrictions for countries and regions that have high rates of growth in cases, low testing, etc.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 am

good article on the challenges of maintaining the cold storage chain around the world, for vaccines that require refrigerators. even developed countries will likly have issues with the ultra cold vaccines.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbre ... adb1c14168